Ticking Noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Noise

Kyle
04-28-2006, 05:10 PM
My engine is making a ticking noise when it is idle. When it is cold it is louder, I know when its cold it is normal for it to make some noise but it is ticking when it is warmed up also. Its just a constant ticking noise that doesn’t stop.

White00GAGT
04-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Lifters?

coupe
04-28-2006, 05:36 PM
First thing to try is put on your A/C, does the noise go away?

Kyle
04-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Lifters?
What do you do about the lifters making noise?

99GAGTX
04-29-2006, 06:49 AM
All 3400 engines make that sound when they first start up. If you ask the service dept. at the dealer, they'll tell you it's just piston slap. That should go away when it warms up though.

What happened with me (and some others here), is when the LIM gasket started leaking, I noticed the engine ticking a lot more than before. Check your oil or your antifreeze. Does your antifreeze look like it has oil mixed in it? If so, your gasket may be leaking. In that case, the lack of proper lube would make your engine tick more.

It's probably your lifters though.

P.S. I found that some gasolines make the engine tick more also.

freakydeaky
04-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Lifters?

i agree, sounds like the lifters... could be something like a piece of debris or trash restricting oil flow, try an oil treatment/stabilizer for an easy fix

White00GAGT
04-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Even so when i took mine to the dealership for a horrible tick between 2000-2500 rpm they charged me $75 and said that the noise was "normal". But yeah if it's an oil flow problem cleaning the system might help but if it's a problem with the actual lifter you'd have to replace it and the rest of the lifters as well. It's also recommended the cam be changed to due to wear patterns, at least that's what I've been told.

Kyle
04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
I had the LIM gasket changed so I don't think it can be that. I guess its nothing really to worry about.

99GAGTX
04-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Even so when i took mine to the dealership for a horrible tick between 2000-2500 rpm they charged me $75 and said that the noise was "normal".

There's been a few times when I've asked the dealership about various creaks, groans, and various other sounds that the car shouldn't be making. Each time, the service advisor listened to it and said, "I wouldn't worry about it. It's nothing."

One time I told them I noticed a small coolant leak (a couple spots) in my driveway. They told me the usual "It's nothing". In other words, "go away, I'm trying to figure out the answer to 12 accross". A few days later I had to have the car towed from a mall parking lot because the water pump went. I asked them, I thought you said it's nothing? They answered me, "Right. Then it was nothing. Now it's $75 per hour labor plus parts and towing". Thanks a lot buttwipe.