Drill Bit For Carbon Fiber [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Drill Bit For Carbon Fiber

GlisteningWhite
04-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Okay so im getting my new CF trunk from http://ceriousperformance.com/ and the new CF SC/T Wing on Tuesday, i have been told i cant use a regular drill bit on Carbon Fiber due to the resin, does anyone know what bit it the one to use, because i need to drill holes to mount wing unless im wrong, i have heard that the SC/T wing is just double sided tape just rumors, dont think its true can someone varify this for me and tell me what drill bit to use.

Also I have all my intercooler piping, and i want it to stay cool but not look like ****, is there any other type of spray/or paint that could keep this cool, because the intercooler piping runs by the headers, i know a wrap would be better but i dont want it to look like ****, all my downpiping is wraped but u cant see, it any sugestions?

Thanks Fellas,
-Matt

SikMindz
04-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Umm..I'm almost sure any decent drill bit would work.

Ajaxus
04-30-2006, 08:18 PM
umm, might be able to use one of the red-labeled dremel drill bits? which i only think there is one. also doesnt really hurt to try a regular bit, at the most you break it and spend a few bucks for a replacement, versus the $15+ for a special bit.

SikMindz
04-30-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm sure a regular drill bit will work because regular self tapping screws were what held on my kit before I took it off last week.

Mendoza
04-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Ya a regular bit will work. This is off topic but can cerious performance make a cf trunk lid without the keyhole?

GlisteningWhite
04-30-2006, 11:22 PM
k guys thanks, what about the intercooler piping? Rob...?

SikMindz
05-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Ya a regular bit will work. This is off topic but can cerious performance make a cf trunk lid without the keyhole?

I'd assume yes but doubt they'd make a single application. Like everything else there'd have to be sufficient interest.

Jeremy
05-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Get some header wrap for your IC piping. The GM SC/T spoiler has 2 bolts per side for mounting. I wouldn't trust any spoiler that just uses double sided tape.

tenspeed
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
I would duct tape where the hole is to be, use a small bit first and drill from both sides to reduce any fraying. Go slow.

GlisteningWhite
05-01-2006, 01:10 PM
thanks a lot guys. I would have loved my trunk w/out key hole but like sik said there is no way they will just make 1 unless u got the $, and about wraping the intercooler piping there is nothing I can get that will make it look better? I mean I still want me car to be show material.