CRAZY starting problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CRAZY starting problems

thebeeve
05-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Ok here's a long story but please bear with me as I would REALLY appreciate any help.

I have an 02 Grand Am GT,. I had to replace the cruise control switch and the brake light switch about 4 weeks ago. I got into an accident about 3 weeks ago and just got it back from the shop like a week and a half ago. They just had to do some body work (replace the passenger fender, remold the bumper, replace the passenger headlight, and some painting). It worked fine until last friday night. I went to get into my car after getting something to eat and it wouldn't turn on. No click no sound or anything, BUT all the lights and everything electrical came on. So, I figured I would replace the battery, I was pretty certain that that wasn't the problem but I figured I'd give it a try anyway, since I could get a free battery. Lo and behold, it wasn't the problem, it continued to do the same exact thing. So I had it towed home. When I got home I realized that the security light was flashing when the key was in the on position and I came on here and saw that that was probobly a PASSlock problem so I left the key in the on position for 10 minutes to reset it and then the car started fine.

Today I had parked somewhere and I decided to give the car alittle test, I turned it off and turned it on again it sounded like it had started alittle hard so I tried it again and NOTHING. No turnover no lights, no electrical power whatsoever. The service engine light blinked for like a split second and went off, like the car was trying to get power but just couldn't manage it. I went under the hood thinking the battery connectors might be loose since I know I didn't tighten them super tight b/c I still had a power connector for my speakers that I needed to attach to it. So I disconnected the battery connectors and reconnected them (this time tight) (BTW, the red connector was nicely corroded all on the inside of the red boot that its in) and the car started (with alittle bit of hesitation). So I drove it home and tried the same thing again, it started but random lights started coming on. The service engine light, security light, ABS light, trac control light service vehicle light, oil light and battery light, all came on and stayed on during the 2 times that i left the key in the on position (they didn't all light up at once, some one time, some the other) so I started the car and the service vehicle soon light ans trac control light stayed on. So I went under the hood and did the same thing to the battery again. This time I cleaned off that red connector a lil bit and it starts fine, no lights on or anything, just normal.

I'm PRETTY sure something isn't right here and its really going to upset me, if I can't figure out what the hell is going on. Does anybody have any insight to this problem?

nascarnate326
05-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Wow, thats insane. fuses all good? Major computer problems is what it sounds like to me. I feel for you. Hopefully the others will have more info.

lone_wolf025
05-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Wow, thats insane. fuses all good? Major computer problems is what it sounds like to me. I feel for you. Hopefully the others will have more info.

I'd agree with that. The chances of those lights all blinking on and off seperately due to shorts or wiring issues is slim to none. Wait and see if it continues messing up...my thought is that corrosion wouldn't cause lights to go crazy just increase resistance. Regardless if it messes up again get someone with the technical know how to check the computers or you can just replace it and see what happens.

thebeeve
05-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I brought it to the dealer today and had them run a diagnostic on it and it came up with absolutely no problems. They say that one of the parking lamps was out so that may have made the service vehicle soon light come on but other than that its fine. So I'll just cross my fingers and hope that she just had a "brain fart" or something.

Lab Rat
05-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Make sure the battery cables are bright and shiny clean. And if the corrosion goes way down the cable then you may need to strip back some of that to get to clean cable. You can then get a new end, or even replace the cable itself. A poor connection or poor conducting cable will mimic a dead/dieing battery.