Completely disable Passlock [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Completely disable Passlock

andrewe77
05-03-2006, 12:16 AM
The passlock bug has bitten me on my 2000. I don't want to put in a new ignition cylinder if I don't have to.

I want to know how to completely disable the Passlock system so it never causes the car not to start up immediately. I don't care if there is a security light on or not, I just don't want it to prevent the car from being started.

I have searched and found the method for soldering in a switch but I don't want a switch. Does the resistor method where you solder the proper resistance between the yellow and black wires work permanently?

sc02grandam
05-03-2006, 06:46 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48307&highlight=passlock

andrewe77
05-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Approximately what is the range of the resistance I will see?
When I clip the yellow wire, will I be able to twist it back together and drive to Radioshack to get the resistor?
Does Radioshack even stock common resistors anymore?

cheetoh
09-16-2006, 05:01 AM
My Girlfriend has been Having The security Light Starting Problem on Her 2000 grand Am Se. If I Purchase DEI 555L Bypass module, Will I have to have a Remote Start to start the Car??

TopperHarley
09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I've had the passlock problem in the past and had it fixed (one was ignition cylinder swap and the second was for a faulty part).

However, now my car won't start on occasion. It really only happens once every other month or so. Is this normal operation for the Passlock system? Should I get it fixed or would I just be wasting my time?

I'm considering buying a remote starter in hopes that the passlock bypass module will "cure" my passlock woes. Am I correct in assuming this will work?

thanks,
th

sc02grandam
09-22-2006, 02:11 PM
you can just buy a simiple resistor from radio shack.. 50 cents at most. There is no need to buy a DEI 555 unit or a remote starter.

SikMindz
09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Kinda OT, but my security light is on 24/7 now for whatever reason but I haven't had a problem starting the car since it happened! LoL

TopperHarley
09-22-2006, 02:35 PM
you can just buy a simiple resistor from radio shack.. 50 cents at most. There is no need to buy a DEI 555 unit or a remote starter.

I may end up giving this a shot. I've seen your step by step instructions, but is it something that an electrical newbie can handle easily?

sc02grandam
09-22-2006, 06:21 PM
I may end up giving this a shot. I've seen your step by step instructions, but is it something that an electrical newbie can handle easily?

if you can cut a wire.. solder.. and read resistance off a multimeter then its a piece of cake