Mag question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mag question

krs_gt74
05-03-2006, 08:34 AM
hey guys.I hit a pothole with my car and i have damaged the mag(rim) on my car. I have the Factory chrome mags i bought with my gt but not the start chrome mag,the other model on the GT1 i believe it is called.

My question is untill i get a new one,this mag is driveable still. The outside part of the mag is bent. Can i hammer it back a bit in the mean time??? I know people say Chrome mags would break if that was done,but i was told this is not an actually chrome mag but a plastice face on a rim. Please don't trahs me as i admit i do not know what i am talking about which is why i am asking for help. Thanks guys.

lone_wolf025
05-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Ok just to clarify you have a 04 Grand Am GT1. What kind of wheels do you have stock or aftermarket? I highly doubt you have true magnesium alloy wheels from stock, but I'm not an expert and I'm probably reading that wrong. Rims are generally very finicky and if you bent one up I personally wouldn't want to drive on it unless it was from a parking spot onto a driveway to replace it. As for hammering it out...never a good idea. Personally I'd just sit on it til the replacement comes in.

krs_gt74
05-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah it is the Stock rim that came with my car.The nodel i have is not the star shaped rim but the other rim Gm offer for the GT. i don't live far from work so it is mostly to work and home so for now i just want it to last me till i can get another one. I am trying to look at scrap yards here but i am having noluck. I would look in the US.. but not sure where to start. If close enough in the the US to me i would drive there as well to get it. Maybe some of yuo can help me with that.

coupe
05-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah you dont have "mag" wheels.
Is it still holding air?

1coop44
05-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Depending on how bad it's bent it can be straitened. I had 1 fixed locally for me & it was 80 dollars.

krs_gt74
05-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah it is holding air. It doesn't lose any air. But i feel it would be safer to try to straighten it back.. i was just worried if i tried it it might break which is why i decided to ask if it is possible to do.

coupe
05-04-2006, 05:06 AM
I would need to see a pic of this to see if its even worth it to straighten.
I have bent rims before and they held air for years.

krs_gt74
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
I am working evenings today,but when i get home tonite,i'll snap a pic and post iton here.Thank again for the help

coupe
05-04-2006, 07:27 AM
On my 92 cutlass i bent a rim what "appeared" to be really bad, it held air for another 3 years of every day driving.

krs_gt74
05-06-2006, 12:31 PM
here is a pic of the mag in question..

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/662/bent15kp.jpg

http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/2910/bent27im.jpg

99GAGTX
05-06-2006, 08:26 PM
That's bent pretty good. I wouldn't trust it on the highway. Definitely don't bend it back, because the aluminum will just crack on you. Use it for local driving until you get another rim.

Which brings up another point. If you're not already aware, your rims are not chrome. They are "Chrome-tech". Which is a GM trademarked way of saying you have a chrome colored piece of plastic glued onto the standard GT1 aluminum-grey rim. You can actually see it around the outer edge of the rim (the lip that bent).

Mike Jung
05-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah it is the Stock rim that came with my car.The nodel i have is not the star shaped rim but the other rim Gm offer for the GT. i don't live far from work so it is mostly to work and home so for now i just want it to last me till i can get another one. I am trying to look at scrap yards here but i am having noluck. I would look in the US.. but not sure where to start. If close enough in the the US to me i would drive there as well to get it. Maybe some of yuo can help me with that.
http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com

$355US + shipping

coupe
05-08-2006, 05:22 AM
$355 lol