Coolant incident [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant incident

grandam1697
05-04-2006, 05:05 AM
Weird one happened yesterday to me. I was driving around for about an hour with 1 stop for 10 mins. in between. I was in traffic and the engine temp reached around 100. Got home and when I turned off the car the coolant overflow starting gushing out. It wouldn't stop. Just boiling out of the tube on the side next to the belt/pullies. Just kept coming out. I hosed down the garage and waited till the engine cooled down to take a look at what happened. I opened the Coolant cap and there was hardly any coolant left.

I have never heard of this happening. Has this happened to anyone else?
I am going to speak with my mechanic today to see if he did anything to it the other day. Maybe it was too full? But why didn't it do this yesterday was when i was out??

Now I have to go buy some coolant to fill it up again. I am going to see about getting a new cap as well as theis old one seems to be not fitting as well. and the Top has come off the screw part.

Any help on this one would be great!

coupe
05-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Get a new cap.
Did you have anywork done to it concerning the coolant lately? like LIM leak? Coolant flush? t-stat replaced? water pump replaced? etc.

Runing temp for these motors are between 200-210.

grandam1697
05-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Fuel Filter flush, and LOF on Tuesday. But that is all. I will get a new cap, hopefully that is all it is.

And the 200-210 yes that is correct, here is Canada our temp readings are at 40....90.....120. 90 would be 200. So I know the temp is not too bad, but maybe the traffic and the hot day played into the matter???

coupe
05-04-2006, 06:03 AM
OIC, forget sometimes about the canadian memebers (i never look to see where members are from).
It may have just been the cap then. Only time ive ever had an overflow problem is when i had an air pocket.

Mike Jung
05-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Sometimes during an oil change:
They open the engine coolant reservoir tank, to take a peep or to top it up.

If the cap comes apart in two pieces, get it replaced with a new one.

If the cap doesn't hold pressure: it will boil over & out the over-flow tube.

If the the tank was too full: only the excess engine coolant would come out (assuming the cap was holding pressure properly).

grandam1697
05-04-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys. I am getting a new cap this afternoon as it has come apart in 2 places. I'll fill up the coolant as well since it is almost dry. I think that is maybe what happened with the oil change I had on Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted

coupe
05-04-2006, 07:12 AM
Looks like you need a knew cap then.

Gt00
05-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Make sure the surface where the cap seats is smooth and not rough , that will help it seal better .

grandam1697
05-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

I got a new cap tonight and the Dex-cool. Filled up the reservoir tank and put the new cap on. We'll see what happens. Hopefully that will do it. I'll keep you posted.

Tony
05-04-2006, 07:47 PM
The exact same thing happened to me last summer after I had spent about 10 or 15 minutes in stop-and-go traffic with the engine temp rising above normal. I pulled into a shopping plaza and found coolant venting out onto the ground. Luckily I was only 2km from home.

When I got home I refilled the reservoir with about 3 litres of 50/50 Dex-Cool and tap water. It seems not all the coolant spilled out because the system takes 12.9 litres according to the manual.

The previous summer I just changed my entire rad fluid. I think the problem may have been they mixed too much water in with the Dex-Cool so that it was more than 50% water which would lower the boiling point of the mixture. Also, some splash shields which were not installed correctly by a body shop were blocking air flow into my rad so I tore those off.

If you refill your coolant, make sure it's no more than 50% water. Also, check to make sure nothing is blocking air flow into your radiator.

When I brought it to my mechanic he said nothing seems wrong but the thermostat could be sticking.

I hope that helps!

duckybubbles918
05-05-2006, 08:45 AM
I had to replace my cap. My coolant light was on at 93,123 miles so I checked it. I had to pry the darn thing off. So I went to AAP. And got some new Coolant and a cap. Hopefully, I've avoided this issue.

JoshuaW
05-05-2006, 09:56 AM
do you have to go to a dealer to get a new cap or are there any other places where you can get a new cap from?

grandam1697
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I went to the dealer, but here in Canada we have "Canadian Tire" and you can pick one up from them as well.