gas gauge problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : gas gauge problem

Bonnor
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
ok..i've been having this problem since i baught the car..and i can never tell how much gas is in the tank all the time because the guage goes all over the place... it's good when i fill up and start driving..but after i shut it off and i know it's off full and start it up again later on it's always on full and doesn't really move at all...and i was wondering if any of u have had this problem or know how to right it?

Panacea
05-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Common problem on early model year GA's. Excessive sulfur in gas corrodes the sensor in the gas tank that reads how much fuel is in the tank. You need to get it replaced. Essentially, you have to drop the tank, replace the (pump?) because it comes as one unit.

lone_wolf025
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
The sensor is typically a float in the tank attached to the pump assembly. Though if the sensor has gone bad (a variable resistor type) then you may have to replace the unit. Personally I'd check the wiring coming from the sensor with a dvom before condeming it.

Panacea
05-07-2006, 11:36 PM
The sensor is typically a float in the tank attached to the pump assembly. Though if the sensor has gone bad (a variable resistor type) then you may have to replace the unit. Personally I'd check the wiring coming from the sensor with a dvom before condeming it.

I wouldn't waste the time. There's a TSB out for this issue.

lone_wolf025
05-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Ah. Well I'd do it if it were my car...I'm anal about replacing parts unless I know they're bad from seeing the test results myself.

Panacea
05-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Ah. Well I'd do it if it were my car...I'm anal about replacing parts unless I know they're bad from seeing the test results myself.

Understandable.

Bonnor
05-08-2006, 05:37 PM
does anyone know how much a new fuel pump is in CND?