XM car satellite [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : XM car satellite

lrymal
08-31-2002, 04:48 PM
XM car satellite... Well, before the server crash, there were a lot of messages flying back and forth on this topic. General consensus was, "Wow! Until you try it, you don't know just how good it is." Negatives were regarding monthly subscription of $10.00/mo, "I'd-rather-spend-money-on-CDs/MP3s", the antenna is ugly., etc...."

Then we got into the antennas and specifically, where to place them. One of the posters here (I cannot remember his name to save my life!!!! :confused: ) came up with a cool idea of placing the roof antenna under the back glass. He claimed it worked just fine. He tested it under trees, with the back glass defroster on (theory being the voltage in the wires might affect the signal or sumptin..). He claimed it honestly worked just as well.

Well, ok. I tried his method and he was right. It worked fine. I tested the heck out of it. I couldn't find any difference in behavior between the roof mount under glass, and roof mount on the roof. And, I couldn't find any difference between the roof mount and the glass mount in behavior.

Sooooo, ah HA! Sounds like the way to go, so sez me. Soooo, I placed the Terk roof antenna under the glass and two weeks later.... uh OH!!!!

A bad uh-OH! It MELTED!

Call it the Texas sun, maybe different gravitational waves, cosmic rays, maybe the position of where I placed the antenna, a warp in the glass, whatever. At any rate, my Terk roof antenna, under the glass gave up its plastic and functionality due to melting. Its top looked like one of those awful things called a prune.

Nope, I can't believe it but at any rate, it melted. The good news is that I contacted the vendor who then RMAed the purchased and I have another one. The prune-faced antenna is gone.

So, anyway, technically, you can place the roof XM antenna under the glass. You just gotta figure a way of locating it where the heat is not directed on it as a target. :mad:

AmIGrand
08-31-2002, 07:48 PM
lol

With you, not at you....

Good to know! lol

blackgagt1
08-31-2002, 11:20 PM
I was the one that told you about it and i have had it for over 3 months now. Mine isn't melted maybe you just had back luck.

nnewton123
08-31-2002, 11:57 PM
do you guys have your windows tinted??? I've heard of a few people who have a tint which uses any type of metal have trouble placing the antenna under the rear window. If you do... maybe I'll have to look into switching mine to right there.

lrymal
09-01-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by nnewton123
do you guys have your windows tinted??? I've heard of a few people who have a tint which uses any type of metal have trouble placing the antenna under the rear window. If you do... maybe I'll have to look into switching mine to right there.

Mine isn't tinted at the bottom----I have a perf vinyl flag at the top half of the glass (look at my avatar) and the bottom is clear. My theory is that there is a slight wrinkle or warp in the glass, and with the Terk roof mount's top being about an inch or so high, it hit a focus area that was like a magnifying glass in the sun. I mean, that is the only thing it could be, otherwise, the deck cloth would have discoloration from overheating. I don't think this is typical, but with my luck, it happened.

Anyway, all is right. I have the mount on the trunk a bit closer to the wing than I care for. At least there is a lot of lead wire so that placement experimentation can be done.

AmIGrand
09-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Just get Sirrius instead. Their antenna is much smaller and doesn't look too bad on the roof. lol

lrymal
09-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by AmIGrand
Just get Sirrius instead. Their antenna is much smaller and doesn't look too bad on the roof. lol
Sirrius? Wazzzat? :thumbs:
I don't use XM's antennas, I use Terk's. And Terk uses the same case for its Sirrius products---no shark fin here!
:cheers:

blackgagt1
09-01-2002, 11:08 PM
My windows are tinted it has no metal in it.

I thought that Sirus declared Bankruptcy.

AmIGrand
09-02-2002, 12:06 AM
XM is the one in financial trouble, actually. Sirrius isn't in the shape they'd like, but XM announced last month that they had less than $300,000 in the bank and unless additional funds were found, they'd file by the end of the year. I suppose Sirrius could be in a similar situation, but I haven't heard about it....

lrymal
09-02-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by AmIGrand
XM is the one in financial trouble, actually. Sirrius isn't in the shape they'd like, but XM announced last month that they had less than $300,000 in the bank........Ummm, not so. It's the other way around with Sirius declaring financial problems. And the number is $300 mil, not $300 thousand, but not as money in the bank---it is money NEEDED. I'm a firm believer in competitive capitalism and hate to see need competitors ailing. The following comes from CNN:
SAN FRANCISCO (CNN/Money) - Satellite Radio got knocked out of its orbit last week when Sirius, one of two publicly-traded companies that offer the service, filed a quarterly report stating that it needed $300 million to keep its service alive.

The Sirius filing also said that if the company failed to raise additional funds, "we will be forced to seek protection under the United States bankruptcy code, materially reduce our operations, significantly alter our business plan and/or seek the sale of our company." What's more, the firm reduced its 2002 subscriber goal to 75,000 from 100,000-150,000. This is the source for those paragraphs (http://money.cnn.com/2002/08/19/technology/techinvestor/hellweg/index.htm)

This is not to say that all is well with XM. The following quote comes from the same article. (http://money.cnn.com/2002/08/19/technology/techinvestor/hellweg/index.htm) From CNN: Then XM Radio (XMSR: up $0.63 to $3.96, Research, Estimates), the competing satellite-radio company, disclosed some glum news of its own in its quarterly filing, stating that it, too, needed significant additional funds to cover its cash requirements.

The car manufactures are adopting both in their factory radios with GM going with XM, and I forget what Ford and Chrysler are going with. I don't see how both services are going to fail. Somehow, the money will come in for both.

I want both satellite services to succeed and I'm not brand loyal to either. Both are superior to local FM radio, especially when in rural areas. I wouldn't wish ill on either service.

AmIGrand
09-02-2002, 12:25 PM
Hmm. The local news braodcast I saw said XM was the one in trouble, I guess they got confused. That's what I get for believing what I saw on TV....

The way I see it, it's like the internet was in the begining - everybody thought it would just take off, but it was YEARS before it got to where it is now.

Digital cable is having similar issues. A lot of the companies offering broadband cable internet are having money troubles because subsribers aren't joining as fast as everyone thought they would - same trouble satalite radio is having.

It'll catch on, and in a few years we'll all wonder how the original satalite radio companies had so much trouble. lol

mitro
09-02-2002, 11:05 PM
I've got my antenna on the rear deck due to the discussion on the antenna that was on the "old" forum. I've only had my XM for a week now and only had the antenna in that one location (minus taking it out and sitting it in my driveway cuz I get no signal in my garage... grrr). I get great reception except for the very occasional overpass/tunnel and my rear window is tinted (20% non-metallic)

As for the future of satellite radio... have no fear, factory installed radios will save the day. :thumbs:

mitro
09-02-2002, 11:08 PM
here a forum for XM/Sirius subscribers and those seeking info:

clubXM.com (http://www.clubxm.com)

Hurricane
09-03-2002, 12:32 PM
I believe XM radio's "cash requirements" have to do with the fact that the guys at Boeing can't seem to figure out what is going on with their satellites leaving XM radio and a number of other companies with satellites that will not be able to sustain specified power levels after just a few years of operation.

I don't want to go into too much detail unless someone is actually interested.

lrymal
09-03-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Hurricane
...I don't want to go into too much detail unless someone is actually interested.

Well, actually: "...In September 2001, XM was notified by Boeing about a degradation problem with solar arrays on 702 class satellites...."

"...XM said both satellites continue to perform above specifications, and projections of future performance have not changed. As reported, Boeing developed a fix for the problem for 702s currently under construction, including XM's ground spare...."

"As one would expect, since that announcement, we have been in discussions with Boeing and other manufacturers regarding modifications to our current ground spare and other long lead contingency options," XM said.

"Press reports of those discussions caused one analyst to speculate that the satellites were experiencing even faster than anticipated degradation. This is not true. Observed power output levels from XM's satellites are trending consistent with prior projections and disclosures."