question about power windows [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : question about power windows

Sonders
05-10-2006, 08:14 PM
hey guys, I just bought a 97 GA GT coupe and am posting for the first time. I bought the car extremely cheap and neither of the windows will roll down. I was wondering if there was anything I can check before assuming that both power window motors need to be replaced; like a fuse or something???? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA for any replies! --Brad--

rizer
05-14-2006, 12:58 AM
hey guys, I just bought a 97 GA GT coupe and am posting for the first time. I bought the car extremely cheap and neither of the windows will roll down. I was wondering if there was anything I can check before assuming that both power window motors need to be replaced; like a fuse or something???? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA for any replies! --Brad--

Well, you could check the fuses, that would be the easy route. Next thing id do would be to narrow things down, like pop off the window switch and see if theres power running to it, or also check to see if theres power at the motor also. Could be alot of things, find a wiring diagram and narrow things down.

digitalballz
05-14-2006, 04:20 PM
like he said check fuses just cause its easy enuff. Then if both windows dont work I would guess its a switch and not 2 motors.

rizer
05-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Chances are its gonna be wiring. I wouldnt think 2 motors or both switches would go (assuming its a 2 door).

I dont know how the wiring is on the grand am but in some fords, both windows run off one power source if that wire get a open then both windows go.

Sonders
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the replies; I'm gonna try to do some troubleshooting tomorrow and c what I come up with. I popped the fuse out earlier today but I don't have a tester or anything here handy so I'm gonna check it out at work tomorrow.

rizer
05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
when you do get volt meter and start playing around, a quick test to check for a open wire is to find the power source and put one meter lead on there, then the other meter lead on say the power side of the motor, if it displays source voltage, thats gonna tell you theres a open wire somewhere between the leads.
Its just simple stuff but this is just incase you didnt know

Sonders
05-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I popped the window switch out today and there was the problem........nice n simple; wire was disconnected. For once I had luck and something was an easy fix! Thanks for all the replies. --Brad--