cleaned engine, now tranny issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : cleaned engine, now tranny issues

badboy2451
05-16-2006, 10:21 AM
bored as hell yesterday so i went and got some supply to do the engine bay. drenched it in purple power or whatever its called and used a pressure washer on it. i covered the alternator, fuse box, and battery so they did not get wet and cleaned it up. atfer i was done, i started it up and everything was fine for about a minute then the car started sputtering and jumping around in RPM's then died. I got in the car and started it back up and let it idle, and again it started to sputter so i gave it some gas and realized that it seemed like the acceleration got stuck on it as the RPM's went above 1500, and i could here my intake sucking in a ton of air.

i drove it home, and it felt like it wasn't gettin outta first unless i let off the gas...and whie it was in first it was slipping but once i get it into third, there arent any problems. i noticed my A/F meter has been reading more on the rich side after this happened, and it never read rich before, and my voltmeter is reading 14V instead of 14.4

can ANYONE shed some light on this for me please?

Ajaxus
05-16-2006, 10:44 AM
how's the airfilter looking? if you have a cai there is a chance you pulled some of that engine cleaner up into either the filter, or worse yet, the engine. that would be my first instinct on the first part of your story. as for the tranny, i have no clue.

and before anyone says you shouldn't start the engine when its wet, they're wrong. it's perfectly fine if you protected all of the major components. and its probably the only way to avoid getting waterspots.

Slim
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Sounds like you got one of your sensors wet, or covered in engine cleaner. Did you cover up things like the IAT sensor when you cleaned? Check all the sensor connections and give them a blast of WD-40. That should get any water/gunk out.

badboy2451
05-16-2006, 11:44 AM
i covered up the intake and the sensors on the intake with a towel to avoid ruining the intake piping

im goin to change my fuel filter now, ill just pull off the air filter too and recharge it

badboy2451
05-17-2006, 12:45 AM
bump...pulled the entire intake out to see if there were any signs of water inside and there is not. i took it to a friend of a friend who is a car guru and he suggested that it might be my MAF. he took a hammer and tapped it and surprisingly the idle smoothed out and seemed to run decently until i shut it off and tried to drive later on

brim
05-18-2006, 07:11 AM
wet maf then boody

coupe
05-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Wow thats never happened to me. I have cleaned all my vehicles engine bays without covering anything and have never had a problem.

badboy2451
05-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Wow thats never happened to me. I have cleaned all my vehicles engine bays without covering anything and have never had a problem.

yea, i mean, ive done it many of times already, even with the CAI installed and nothing has ever happened..im gonna pull the MAF out today and clean the sensor and if that doesn't work, ill go the seafoam route and see if that helps at all

Mendoza
05-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Sounds like the car is missing to me. Check all your plug wires and spark plugs. Throw some fuel injector cleaner in the gas to.

badboy2451
05-18-2006, 06:01 PM
i checked the coil pack and one of the posts was a little rusty but i cleaned it up...

ViperGTSR
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
yea, its not that hard and you dont have to cover up squat.

next time dont use a prssure washer, just simple green, wheel brush and regular hose, works like a charm

badboy2451
05-18-2006, 09:35 PM
ok guys, well i took out my MAF out and cleaned the sensors, and added a can of seafoam. it seems to have had a postive effect on things it seems like. still runs very rich when i start it up and still wants to stall out. im thinkin it could be the MAF senson that connects to it

my car has the exact same problem as this http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53314&highlight=MAF

coupe
05-19-2006, 05:20 AM
In that thread i didnt know what to do becuase i had replaced all that stuff and it didnt help any.
One day i said "well lets try seafoam". I put a half can in the gas tank, the other half in the crank case and a full can in the top end, my idle has been perfect ever since.

Mendoza
05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Ever figure out what was going on?

badboy2451
05-20-2006, 08:34 PM
not a clue, its just doin the same thing every time i start....very rough idle, almost wants to stall, then my intake sucks in air like crazy and the idle goes up to around 1500 for a second and comes back down

i found that if i start driving it and punch the gas, then everything smoothes itself out which leads me to believe it HAS to be a sensor (im thinkin that one that plugs into the MAF) but im gonna head to the junkyard and pick up a new one and see if that works

ViperGTSR
05-20-2006, 09:24 PM
that happened to me. After i put on a new lower intake mani and wiped the injectors off, the problem went away

LukeD
05-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm wondering if it has to do either with rich/lean issues or maybe an O2 sensor or maybe bad/wrong spark plugs for the car.

This has been happening to my car since I put in the supercharger. Maybe not the same problem as some here but the same symptoms. Exhaust kind of smells rich, although I'm no expert as to what rich really smells like. Anyway I have brand new injectors so I know that's not the problem. Fuel filter has been changed in the last 5000 miles. Also, the engine kind of revs up and down when I first start it in the morning, and sometimes will die. If I put it in gear right away the reving goes away. Other than that the car runs great.

Also my spark plugs are gapped at .35 for the supercharger, I think I'm going to try .40 cause I believe .60 is stock and if my gap is too small it may be what is causing the car to sometimes die when I first start it or even sometimes when I'm coasting to a stop. When I'm not accellerating heavy my car is not getting boost and so it is like a stock car, but with .35 gap. .40 is a little closer to stock so maybe that will help it.

It's possible it may have something to do with open loop too. I'm using my stock MAF but maybe I should try my Pro-M maf sitting in my garage.

badboy2451
05-21-2006, 04:57 PM
that happened to me. After i put on a new lower intake mani and wiped the injectors off, the problem went away

as in the horrid LIM leak?

badboy2451
05-21-2006, 08:45 PM
update: washed my car today and came home, finished detailing it and hung out for a bit. got in my car to head over to a friends house to watch sapranos and everything is back to normal...the car starts and is running stoich instead of rich and the idle is perfect

ha, go figure