car wont start unless tank 3/4 full [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car wont start unless tank 3/4 full

enrayged
05-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Ok, have a '00 Grand Am SE 2.4L and this started on Friday, got up for work, went out to car and it would not start. It turned over but would not even catch. Had a little over half a tank at the time. Gas gauge sometimes acts screwy (surprising huh?) so tried to add a couple of gallons of gas. Still no luck starting. Saturday evening changed fuel filter which was clogged to the point couldnt even blow air through it. (bought the car about 8 months ago and think it has never been changed) Still no luck. Tried passlock tricks as light was on, not blinking but on, still nothing. Sunday changed spark plugs still nothing. got a can of starting fluid and if I used it, car would start and run till that was burned. Out of desparation, added a couple more gallons of gas, and Viola!! car starts perfectly fine. Thought problems were over but HAH!! worked fine monday, got up this morning for work and no dice. would just turn over but not even try to catch. So... hiked my happy but to the gas station, got a couple gallons of gas and Viola!! it started just fine again. So... any ideas on what could be causing it? My guess is (shudder) fuel pump... but could it be something else?

CoopGT
05-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Sounds like the fuel pump sending unit .

digitalballz
05-16-2006, 08:32 PM
what he said

iceman1793
05-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Ouch, fuel pump.

lone_wolf025
05-16-2006, 11:36 PM
I concur.

Redog
05-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Yeah fuel pump issues.

Under warranty?

enrayged
05-17-2006, 10:14 AM
nah not under warranty... 106k miles, gonna have to do it myself this weekend... if the pump lasts that long...

thanks everyone

tenspeed
05-17-2006, 04:12 PM
It might not need replacing. I would think a bad pump would not work at any tank level. It might be that the tubing above the pipe is leaking and it needs more gas in the tank to stem the flow.

Drop the tank, check it out, then buy the pump.

nascarnate326
05-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Crazy fuse? If not, have fun changing the pump. Wouldnt be a bad idea to change fuel filter if your doing pump too.

enrayged
05-17-2006, 05:39 PM
yeah was thinking of dropping the tank first, see if there is some place letting in air. Car seems to be starting on less gas today, but may not have dropped below the level of no return... just not looking forward to dropping the tank. Not necessarily hard but sure going to be a PITA.

Oh, and fuel filter was changed saturday.

thanks again...