car troubles [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car troubles

gojo83
05-16-2006, 07:29 PM
I live at a high altitude and have been having to drive over some passes and the car would do fine at freeway speed but now I have been driving it around town and we have this overpass that goes over the traintracks and the speed limit is 30 but anyway when I go over it the rpms shoot up and I feel no power when they do that just curious if the car might need a new torque converter or what the deal is. All I have done to the car is a cold air intake no other mods yet. Please help so I don't get screwed over by the local shops or end up stranded in BFE

lone_wolf025
05-17-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm going to assume you know what downshifting is and thats not the issue. When the R's jump do you still have power at the wheels or does the RPM rise with no additional power even if you gun it?

gojo83
05-17-2006, 03:21 PM
there is a slight increase of power but not that much I am just at a loss as to what to do I got told to change the tranny fluid and filter and see if that helps and I think that might help but I am not sure I will be replaceing the thermostat and the fuel filter little later on becuase the temp is usually between 200 to 215 so I think the thermostat will help too any ideas are appreciated

lone_wolf025
05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Hmmm the way you describe it doesn't really seem like slippage. If you had slippage you'd notice it more often. Though putting in the lower thermostat won't do much noticable good. If you've got more that 50k miles it wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the trans but I doubt that'll fix your problem. Unless you don't have this problem everytime you're under high load I would think its normal...but then again I'm not driving the car. Sorry I can't help anymore.

gojo83
05-17-2006, 04:05 PM
well I have more than 50K on it. It is closer to 150K then 50K I am seriously thinking of selling it and getting the v6 firebird I have had my eye on for a little while plus the bird would get better gas mileage then what I get with this and it might be a bit more fun to drive. The bird also has like half the miles that this one has

nascarnate326
05-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Nothing aginst the GA but I sold mine, and I love my z24 cavi. Paying up the ass for it, but its more "me" then the GA was. Loads more fun(5spd). Bassicaly if you want the car, get it. Your 18. You surly want memories in a fun car. For me the GA wasnt that fun car.

And with 150k, and your car not running correct, get ready to lose your ass on the GA. I did with mine at least.

lone_wolf025
05-17-2006, 08:00 PM
150K?? And its still working? Damn. I'd ditch it sooner rather than later. Just be sure you're not going to wind up with double the cost in nickels and dimes on the "new" bird rather than a quarter on the GA. At 150k its anybody's guess how long it'll last.

gojo83
05-17-2006, 10:57 PM
well it is sitting at 130 now