Radio Screen and volume control [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Radio Screen and volume control

Kingwolf32
05-18-2006, 10:18 AM
I have a 2000 GT (with 170000 km) and have 2 weird problems with the stock cd/radio. It is not the monsoon radio but the model before it.

1) the screen the displays time and station info... disappeared in me. Here is the wierd part.. when the sun hits it i can read the display. And also when the car have been sitting in the sun all day and the interior is hot when i start the car, the display returns normaly and stays on until i turn off the ignition.

2) when trying to turn down the volume the volume goes up. Sometimes i have to turn the knob 2 or 3 complete turns to get it down. I have had replaced the radio once under warranty for this problem and now the car is off warranty and it has started doing it again.

Just curious if anyone has run into this/these problems and/or if anyone has any idea.

Also have another question about pealing paint on the nose of the hood but that will be for another post.

Thanks for any help

Dan
Sudbury, Ontario Canada

spartan0199
05-18-2006, 10:28 AM
I've got problem 2 on my 2000 GAGT as well, not sure what the solution is...

Ajaxus
05-18-2006, 11:02 AM
yeah some people have that second problem.

the first one reminds me of what happened to my sister's 98 explorer. radio works fine but you cant see the display. i remember the dealer saying for her car that fixing it would cost just as much as buying a new stereo unit. you might go to your local pontiac/gm dealer and ask if they can give an approx. cost for fixing it. if it's anything over $100, save yourself the money and get an aftermarket unit that out performs it, looks better, and costs the same or less.

thats my .02

coupe
05-18-2006, 12:02 PM
I have a 2000 GT (with 170000 km) and have 2 weird problems with the stock cd/radio. It is not the monsoon radio but the model before it.

1) the screen the displays time and station info... disappeared in me. Here is the wierd part.. when the sun hits it i can read the display. And also when the car have been sitting in the sun all day and the interior is hot when i start the car, the display returns normaly and stays on until i turn off the ignition.

2) when trying to turn down the volume the volume goes up. Sometimes i have to turn the knob 2 or 3 complete turns to get it down. I have had replaced the radio once under warranty for this problem and now the car is off warranty and it has started doing it again.

Just curious if anyone has run into this/these problems and/or if anyone has any idea.

Also have another question about pealing paint on the nose of the hood but that will be for another post.

Thanks for any help

Dan
Sudbury, Ontario Canada

Hahaha thats funny, i have both those problems lol

DrFabulous
05-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I had the second problem.... I ditched the stock HU for aftermarket.... *shrug*

coupe
05-18-2006, 12:28 PM
^^ thats what ive been meaning to do for awhile now, just have gotten lazy i guess.

Exodus
05-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Same here, Now just wait until it starts skipping constantly. I believe what you have is the delco sys. Just get a new after market one b/4 you go crazy over it skipping.

coupe
05-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Mines been doing it for years and it dont skip yet. If that starts happening im gonna replace it the same day it starts doing it.

Kingwolf32
05-18-2006, 01:11 PM
nope no skipping even the old radio i had replaced never skipped... and i have had the newer one for over 3 years and the display and volume problem for over 1 year.

I appreciate every one responces i am glad to see that i am not the only one.

bigtard
05-21-2006, 11:14 AM

I definitely get that problem. Sometimes it's worse than other times.

Sleepwalkr
05-21-2006, 11:51 AM
The volume control thing I have too. I read a couple of years ago on this forum that someone pulled off the volume/power button and sprayed some electronic cleaner spray into it, put the button back on and turned it a few times and the problem went away. I've tried to pull the button off but it ain't moving and I don't wanna pull too hard and damage something. (funny, that last line I remember saying when I was about 15.)

Bonnor
05-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Just buy a aftermarket one and forget about the old crappy delco one...that's the first thing i did when i baught my gagt