A/C Compressor won't engage?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C Compressor won't engage??

kmcooke
05-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Just went to Jiffy Lube to the good ole A/C recharged in my '01 GAGT. They told me my compressor was not activating and the compressor clutch was not moving or something like that. Should I be prepared to choke it up and get a new compressor and clutch or is there another possibility for a fix?

Malaclypse
05-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Are you really going to trust Jiffy Lube to diagnose your A/C properly? Take it to a reputable shop to get the A/C recharged at the least.

kmcooke
05-22-2006, 04:17 PM
True...The mechanics near me are all just outrageous with their service prices though. $150 just for a a recharge on the A/C!! If you get several years out of the recharge I guess its worth it though. Thanks.

lone_wolf025
05-22-2006, 07:41 PM
First off you shouldn't have to recharge the system every few years. If the system has no leaks it should last until you get a leak (its a sealed system). Secondly if the compressor is busted you won't be able to recharge the system since the compressor is the part that circulates the refridgerant. Third turn on your A/C on a warm day and look at your A/C compressor. The whole thing should be spinning with occasional stops and starts of the clutch. Btw if your compressor is shot you're looking at a large bill for replacement (new unit, new receiver/drier/accumulater, and recovery and replacement of refridgerant) totaling probably $500 or above...most likely above.

digitalballz
05-23-2006, 05:19 PM
First off dont ever let jiffylube diag anything. Second lonewolf is right if you need to recharge the system then you have a leak. Your problem could be a cycling switch. If it is the compressor they are not cheap, a rebuilt could run you close to $400 bucks!!

ryanbgb22
04-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Bringing this thread back.....

My a/c is not engaging. I checked all fuses / the relay that seemed like they could possibly be part of the a/c system. The clutch is defenitely not engaged, and seems like its not trying at all to do so.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem could be? And if it is the clutch which is bad (which seems to be the problem), does the whole condenser need to be replaced?