PH Level Low & Engine Overheating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : PH Level Low & Engine Overheating

lironet
05-21-2006, 10:23 PM
For the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my temp gauge has been reaching the black mark on my attachment. In addition, I was told that my Coolant PH Level is low. Seeing as how I am not very knowledgeable with cars, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is the best solution to fix this problem. Should I just take my car to the dealership to have them take a look at it under warranty? Frankly, if it's a small solution, I would rather fix the problem myself. I hate taking my car to the dealership.

My car only has 18,328 KM's (11455 Miles)

Mike Jung
05-21-2006, 11:04 PM
PH level is low on your engine coolant = time to change your engine coolant.

lironet
05-21-2006, 11:24 PM
PH level is low on your engine coolant = time to change your engine coolant.

Thanks

I will be sure to take care of this right away.

digitalballz
05-22-2006, 05:03 PM
yeah just drain and fill

Molson
05-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Coolant due at 18,000 KMS? I doubt it. I have 160,000 on the original coolant.

lone_wolf025
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM
I think it'd depend on whether or not the original coolant is in it or not. Wait...PH is low? Meaning its below 7 reaching into acidic levels right? Something else is wrong me thinks. IIRC acidic coolant means exhaust gases leaking in and if thats the case...well I cringe to think what it might be but I think a few people could fill that in.

Before I assume the worst I need to confirm a couple things. Has the coolant level been staying the same or has it been dropping? Did anyone test for exhaust gases in the coolant?

lironet
05-22-2006, 06:27 PM
I think it'd depend on whether or not the original coolant is in it or not.

Yes, it's the original coolant. My car was purchased brand new with 79 KM on the odometer.

Has the coolant level been staying the same or has it been dropping?

No, the coolant has not been dropping.

Did anyone test for exhaust gases in the coolant?

No

lone_wolf025
05-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Ah. I doubt its the infamous LIM then. Though I wonder what else could be making the coolant go acid. Oh well. I suppose if you have nothing better to do you could get the coolant tested for the presence of exhaust gases...but that's your choice. In any case good luck with the problem.

Johnny boy OUT

normal
05-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Would they have meant PH is lower than it should be, so not neccessarily acidic, but maybe more neutral, i.e. a little watered down, also showing in higher operating temps? Im not good at chem, so i might have made that all up...