Key in Accessory - everything fine, Key in ON - Engine light is the only thing on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key in Accessory - everything fine, Key in ON - Engine light is the only thing on

amtran
05-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Here is a problem on my 2003 GAGT sedan with 28,000 miles. I put the key in the ignition and turn to Accessory position, everything is fine, the radio comes on, all the warning lights turn on briefly, everything does what it's supposed to do. Then I will turn the key to ON, without starting the car, and everything shuts off, the radio goes dead, the odometer doesn't come on, and all the warning lights turn off except for the Service Engine Soon light. That's the only one which remains on. Now if I turn the key back to Accessory, it goes back to normal the way it's supposed to be. And if I start the car, everything is fine and normal, and the Service Engine light turns off. Also, if I keep the key in ON without starting the car, after about 30 seconds everything comes back to normal, with the radio on, odometer on, and other warning lights briefly on, plus the guages all go up to the top and back down (as if the car has been started, except it hasn't). The car always starts fine and goes back to normal after being started. Also, this problem occurs about 1/3 of the time and pretty much randomly, sometimes after it's been sitting over night, sometimes after the car has been driven for a while, but not all the time.

Any ideas? I wasn't sure if I needed to find out a code for the service engine light, since it goes off when the car is started. It doesn't seem to affect anything because the car is OK, but it worries me for the car to be so young with this random problem. Thanks for your help!

lone_wolf025
05-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Do you have any problems starting the car? And everything but the SVS light goes off when the key is in ON not START right?

nascarnate326
05-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Warrenty?

Malaclypse
05-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Check the connections at your battery. Sounds like the positive or negative cables might be loose.

amtran
05-22-2006, 09:24 PM
thanks for the replies,

Malaclypse, I'll check into that

nascarnate326, no more warranty

lone_wolf025, that's correct, and i have no problems starting the car

1coop44
05-25-2006, 08:22 AM
It's fine . My car is the same way . There's nothing wrong with you car. If you find anything out from the dealer post up the info you get.

amtran
05-25-2006, 01:25 PM
i haven't found anything yet, no one i know really has any ideas. i might ask the dealer, i will post info when i have it

brim
05-25-2006, 02:53 PM
i'd say battery connections too, but that's just a little weird, could be the cylinder

brsexton
05-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Could be ignition switch or BCM.....