Fix the scratches or paint the car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fix the scratches or paint the car

lone_wolf025
05-24-2006, 07:50 AM
This question is kinda hard to categorize, but since it has to do with work to be done to the car I figured put it here. Anyways I have a few scratches on various places of the car. I want to know from the viewpoint of people who know body work, what would be cheaper? Repairing all the scratches or painting the whole car? Here's the link to my cardomain for the pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2320146/2

pyro
05-24-2006, 08:21 AM
id just cover them with those little scratch paint pen things, works for me.

Ajaxus
05-24-2006, 08:31 AM
its hard to tell by the pictures, but are all of the scratches in the paint or in the clearcoat?

if its in the paint then you will have to have them touched up, i cant justify for you repainting the whole car unless it's a show car.

if they are in the clear coat then you can fix them with a good buffer, porter cable, the right pads and some polish. if you want more details check out Autopia (http://www.autopia.org) they have some great walkthroughs for using a PC and removing scratches.

coupe
05-24-2006, 08:50 AM
^^ What AJ said.

The one on the hood and the few light scratches on your rear 1/4 panel i could get out with a PC and a lake country cutting pad and megs #85, #83 and then follow up with #80. That should do the trick for fixing that.

The scrathes in your fender and rear quarter panel are right through to the primer, if thats not primer than its the sheet metal lol
In that case you can wet sand........pay a professional to do that. Im currently using my stock hood to practice wet sanding and its truly an art. I almost have it perfected but i still wouldnt do it yet to my car or truck till i know i mastered it.

lone_wolf025
05-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Yea I kinda figured the hood and other light scratches wouldn't be too hard to fix. The rear quarter and fender are deep.

I'm not familiar with bodywork/repair hence this thread. The extent of my knowledge is just that I know some painting will have to be done to repair the deep scratches...I wouldn't know how much or how little could be gotten away with. Course if I had the money I'd have the whole thing repainted...