Changing oil myself [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil myself

Hot_Stud18
05-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Hey I just had a few questions about changing my oil

#1 What kind of oil do you recommend? I seen a synthetic oil advertised that gives protection up to 15k miles. Is this something to look into?

#2 What kind of oil filter do you recommend? Seems like Fram oil filters are fully stocked on the shelves.

#3 Does Autozone accept used motor oil? or do they charge you a fee if you dispose of used motor oil?

Thank You

Metallman56
05-24-2006, 01:13 PM
royal purple

fram is bad, i would go with either a napa gold or a wix

no

Kdawg207
05-24-2006, 01:17 PM
royal purple...fuk Fram

and............you SAWa synthetic oil advertised

Metallman56
05-24-2006, 01:30 PM
oh and if you think royal purple is too $$$ which is understandable, then DO NOT get penzoil. i have seen too much sludge to ever recomend, or buy penzoil again.

Ajaxus
05-24-2006, 01:40 PM
don't get full synthetic, its a grand am afterall, go with a synthetic-blend.

and it doesnt hurt to ask local auto stores and mechanics if they accept used oil, and ive never heard of them charging for it.

White00GAGT
05-24-2006, 01:41 PM
I use penzoil, never had a problem with it, oil comes out almost as clean as it went in.

DrFabulous
05-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Just got done putting a little Valvoline High Milage w/ Wix filter in my GA.... I change every 3-4k. Seems to work fine.

Metallman56
05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
don't get full synthetic, its a grand am afterall, go with a synthetic-blend.

and it doesnt hurt to ask local auto stores and mechanics if they accept used oil, and ive never heard of them charging for it.

its a car. cars cost a lot to maintain. better oil usually means more engine life. and autozone, pep boys, and advanced auto parts take oil for free. know that to be a fact.

Metallman56
05-24-2006, 02:05 PM
I use penzoil, never had a problem with it, oil comes out almost as clean as it went in.

how long have you been using it and have you ever been into your heads or oil pan?

ihatemygrandamg
05-24-2006, 02:20 PM
I just changed mine the other day. Mobil 1 and an ac delco filter.

Hot_Stud18
05-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Thank you to all that replied. I will check into that Royal Purple oil I use to get my oil changed at the dealer and found out they weren't changing my oil filter(I marked it with a black marker be4 I went to get it changed) so then went to Valvoline probably the last 4-5 oil changes and looked as if for some reason they were using used oil filters on my car and also I hate the attitude they give me when they try to sell me something and then get mad when I tell them flat out "NO" there were also a few other things I didn't like.

I figure the heck with it and if I want something done right I am going to do it myself. I may also just go with Valvoline oil which is like 9 something for 5 quarts but I am gonna research that Royal Purple further and may go with that, may I ask what it is about the FRAM oil filters that some here don't like?

Also too someone mentioned if I seen a synthetic oil advertised and the answer is NO. I just seen a 5 quart of Mobil 1 if I am not mistaken and it said "protection up to 15k" and it was like 26-27 bux.

iceman
05-24-2006, 02:45 PM
There are some really good oil + filter threads around here... you may be better off researching a little more.

pyro
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
There are some really good oil + filter threads around here... you may be better off researching a little more.
*iagree* search FTW

rocketfast123
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
how many people run this over priced oil call royal purple?

Mike Jung
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
For me it is:
(in my GA & my Mom's Sunfire GT)

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (that is made in Germany), an ACEA A3 European Performance rated synthetic motor oil
(a nice thick 30-viscosity oil)

&

NAPA Gold over-sized 1036 (similar in size to AC Delco PF-52) oil filter.
(on my GA & NAPA Gold 1042 oil filter on my Mom's Sunfire GT.)

nascarnate326
05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
For me it is:
(in my GA & my Mom's Sunfire GT)

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (that is made in Germany), an ACEA A3 European Performance rated synthetic motor oil
(a nice thick 30-viscosity oil)

&

NAPA Gold over-sized 1036 (similar in size to AC Delco PF-52) oil filter.

Ive been thinking of trying that germany CS, but im having a little problem finding it.
I use Mobil 1 with supertec(i think) cant remember. NOT fram. and NOT penzoil. Dad had really bad luck with penzoil over a 30k miles.

Metallman56
05-24-2006, 04:23 PM
the problem with fram filters is, they are junk. mike perhapes you would like to answer this question a little more in dept.

Mike Jung
05-24-2006, 11:23 PM
...go with a synthetic-blend...
The way of the future (if not synthetic oil).

If anyone doesn't know what I am talking about.
Research 5W-20 motor oil that is used by Ford, Mazda, Chrysler & Honda.
It is a "synthetic-blend" (kinda, without getting technical) oil.

Ive been thinking of trying that germany CS, but im having a little problem finding it.
...and NOT penzoil. Dad had really bad luck with penzoil over a 30k miles.
(German made) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil (I heard) is only sold at large AutoZones in the US.
(Make sure it says "Made in Germany" on the back label; as there is some old pre '03 (USA made non-synthetic) motor oil still left around some shelves.)

Heard really good things about "new" Pennzoil Platinum EOP type synthetic motor oil.
Pennzoil Platinumô Data Sheet (http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/EngineOils/Pdf/PlatinumFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf)

IMO, if Mobil 1 is your choice -> then get Mobil 1 EP version.
(The above does not include Mobil 1 0W-40 oil.)

If ACEA A3 performance rating is too thick of a oil for you & you want to get a "energy conserving" rated (thinner) oil: then get an ACEA A5 performance rated synthetic oil.
But IMO ACEA A3 is > than ACEA A5 rated oils.

the problem with fram filters is, they are junk. mike perhapes you would like to answer this question a little more in dept.
Ok, this i what i've heard about Frams oil filters:

BAD designed "Anti-Drain Back Valve":
So dry cold starts in the morning; which cause more valve tapping/knocking.
Because the oil is drained down from the oil filter; & more importantly oil is allowed to drain pass the oil filter, leaving everything above the oil filter to dry start in the morning.

Cardboard End Caps:
It does not keep the filter media in place properly.
Causing it possibley to let "dirty" oil to bypassing the the filter media through the ends.
So your oil does not get filtered very well.

Filter media not staying in place properly & tearing holes in it from the center core tube.
Example: See my post in Changing to Synthetic Oil -- Calling Syn. Guys (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=655168&postcount=80)

Those are jut some of the things that come to mind, off of the top of my head.

PS: Got to love North America Honda for using Fram to make their Honda oil filters, to Honda's spec's lol

Panacea
05-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Mike,
Do they make German CS in 5W-30? I wonder if Autozone can special order some.

Mike Jung
05-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Mike,
Do they make German CS in 5W-30?...
Only in 0W-30, why?

If you are worried about it being "thin"; it isn't.
It is almost a 40-viscosity oil, a thick 30-viscosity oil lol

Viscosity @ 100°C (212°F) is about 12.2 cSt.
Viscosity @ 40°C (104°F) is about 72.9 cSt.

Compare it to Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 synthetic oil:
cSt @ 100ºC = 10.25
cSt @ 40ºC = 57.3

So it is thicker than Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 at most temperatures until about -25°C/-13°F (or below).

Note:
30-viscosity @ 100°C range is 9.30-12.49 cSt
40-viscosity @ 100°C range is 12.50-16.29 cSt
(Higher the cSt, the thicker the viscosity it is.)

Panacea
05-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Well, then my next question. Do you know if they can special order the GC? lol

Sprucegagt
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I have been using Havoline full synthetic 5W-30 with AC Delco filters with a change interval of 5,000 miles. No problems at all, even Blackstone agrees.

I was using regular Havoline 10w-30 at 3,000 mile intervals, before I ported my heads and intakes. No sludge was in the engine anywhere. Just your typical oil staining.

Dan99Grandam
05-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I usually run amsoil with the same brand filter. Its rated for 25000 miles or 1 year with a filter change after 6 months. make sure to buy a extra quart after you change your filter to top it off. Amsoil also makes a air filter that performs better than K&n. check out www.amsoil.com because not many places carry the stuff on the shelf.

Metallman56
05-25-2006, 01:15 PM
i would like to see amsoil go head to head with royal purple.

iceman
05-25-2006, 01:23 PM
And see what? On a daily driven grand am see it do nothing but waste the owner's money?

Dan99Grandam
05-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Once a car gets above 70-80k miles the engine starts to wear.The pure synthetic s improve performance and engine life. As far as conventional oils are concerned it is perfectly fine to use them and so long as you change the oil every 3k. I personally dont like changing it quite so often so I go for the amsoil 25k mile assurance. I've ran amsoil in every car/Truck I own for the last 5 years and never had a problem and its relatively as cheap as most ceventional brands considering I only change my oil every year.The air filter though is by far the best air filter ive ever used, although you do have to recharge them.

Dan99Grandam
05-27-2006, 02:43 PM
i would like to see amsoil go head to head with royal purple.

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/dyno-test.php

one of many sites comparing amsoil to all other engine oils. including royal purple.

Hot_Stud18
05-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I usually run amsoil with the same brand filter. Its rated for 25000 miles or 1 year with a filter change after 6 months. make sure to buy a extra quart after you change your filter to top it off. Amsoil also makes a air filter that performs better than K&n. check out www.amsoil.com because not many places carry the stuff on the shelf.

I am really liking what I am reading on this Amsoil 25k synthetic oil, may I ask how much a 5 quart of this stuff cost and how much an oil filter cost? I was going to go with the Mobil 1 extended performance which gives you up to 15k protection and that cost around 26 bucks for a 5 quart and 10.99 for the longer life filter. I am just curious what the price difference is between the two.

If I find the right synthetic I will probably be changing my oil between 8-10k instead of the old fashioned 3k.

Dan99Grandam
06-06-2006, 11:21 PM
well it runs about 5.50 a quart or so and if you buy it online youll have to pay shipping. Amsoil is one of the first producers of synthetic oils, and they are recognized in the aeronautic world as well as automotive.

archillasvante
06-07-2006, 07:45 AM
I do... I hope this doesn't make me the subject of attack...

how many people run this over priced oil call royal purple?

j_yewchin
06-12-2006, 08:54 PM
:attention i found royal purple cheaper than mobil 1! i was in lord-co auto parts. im not sure if you americans have it or not. but i asked what the price was on 5w30 royal purple. she said 10.58 (list price)... i'm like is that list price or net price? what kind of price can you get me? she looked at the computer again and said 7.58. (net price). not bad i thought. i was told any store would honor that price too.
and then i realize in walmart the other day that mobil 1 was 8.09 a litre. so seeing as how i found it cheaper, i think i'll make the switch. so try going to the counter guys! maybe you can get a better deal :)

edit--- for the record, amsoil in canadian tire is about 10.00 a litre here.

Mike Jung
06-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I got my last case of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic oil from Germany for $6.11 Cdn/L :D

It was on sale at Canadian Tire for $6.79Cdn/L.

But I went to PartSource (http://www.partsource.ca) (which is owned by Canadian Tire) & got them to price match it with their "10% Lowest Price Guarantee".

So now I wait until Canadian Tire has it on sale; & then go to PartSource to get them to price match it with their "10% Lowest Price Guarantee".

PS:
...edit--- for the record, amsoil in canadian tire is about 10.00 a litre here.
Look how much they charge for a quart of Red Line Oil (http://www.redlineoil.com) lol

Oh, yeah...
Mobil 1 5W-30 & 10W-30 synthetic oil is on Sale this month of June at PartSource.
4.4L jug + bonus 1L bottle for $29.99Cdn
That is $5.55 Cdn/L !