Car Not Starting HELP! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Not Starting HELP!

my02gt
05-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Ok here is the deal. I currently dont have a CD player in my car because the aftermarket was taken out so I can work on my switch panel project. Basically there is just open space. I have driven my car like this for awhile now. I went out to start my car and it started just fine. Then a tad bit of smoke came out from where my CD player would be. My headlights turn on, dome light will come on if I use the switch on the dome to turn it on, but when I try to start the car, nothing. I dont have any lights that come on the dash or anything. Is it my battery or something else?

my02gt
05-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Had the battery tested today and it is good. I have no clue what is wrong now.

iceman
05-30-2006, 02:38 PM
You shorted something out... hopefully not something important. Get to checking fuses, testing circuits, etc... There have been countless threads on these exact symptoms so the info is here, just gotta read a little. or get a magic wand

my02gt
05-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Lol. I think I did short something out. It was my fault for having those wires live. i shouldn't of hooked them to a power source yet. My guess is the ignition switch shorted but not sure.

GrandAm_Cruizer
05-31-2006, 12:01 AM
hey this happened to me, thanks to this wonderful forum, its like some security system lock out thing, umm, don't know how to post the links and stuff, but yeah, turn your key to the "ON" position, don't start it, then just leave it there for about 15 min, then after the 15 min, turn the key to "OFF" position, then try starting it again. good luck

my02gt
05-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Thats not it. I have had that problem before and had it fixed. When I try and turn it over nothing happens. None of my dash lights kick on or anything. I dont know if it is the ignition switch or the wires.

CoolSpot
05-31-2006, 02:02 PM
I dont know if it is the ignition switch or the wires.

definitely somethig like that or maybe fuses...

my02gt
05-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Ok I went to the dealership and they said fuses too. I checked everything engine realted and none were blown. I do have cluster lights now because that fuse was blown. So now when I try and start I get the SVS light and after a second or 2 the trac off light kicks on. No ABS light so I dont think it is the HUB assembly. Any help is appreciated.

iceman
05-31-2006, 02:43 PM
didn't you say some smoke came out of the radio hole?? that's bad man, probably fused some wires together. I'd start by tracing those ETS button wires and work from there.

electrical fires = bad, i'd drive the car in the ocean if I were you.

this is why you never ever work with the battery connected no matter how minor the job, and never leave things in progress with exposed wires laying around. do it once and do it right

my02gt
05-31-2006, 03:16 PM
I hope it is nothing to major. I will go out and trace those wires and see what happens.

EDIT: I tried tracing but the wires are bound together with like 12 others in some kind of protective tape. Therefore I cant really trace them. I dunno what it can be.

slickjoe
05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
GT, check the fuse for the ignition switch (I believe it is located on the passenger side door, or driver). It is around 80% that it is the fuse.

my02gt
05-31-2006, 09:50 PM
I think that one is located under the hood. There are 2 of them if I am correct. Both of them still have the "S" connector intact so I assume they arent blown.

slickjoe
06-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Try opening up the cover around the stereo and unhook the cigarette ligher clip, ETS clip, and hazard light clip. Then try starting the vehicle.

my02gt
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Ok here is the deal. I currently dont have a CD player in my car because the aftermarket was taken out so I can work on my switch panel project. Basically there is just open space. I have driven my car like this for awhile now. I went out to start my car and it started just fine. Then a tad bit of smoke came out from where my CD player would be. My headlights turn on, dome light will come on if I use the switch on the dome to turn it on, but when I try to start the car, nothing. I dont have any lights that come on the dash or anything. Is it my battery or something else?

Already did that. It is still unhooked currently and I have even tried hooking it up and starting but no go. I guess I will have to tow it to a dealership.

slickjoe
06-01-2006, 10:56 AM
you are positive the IGNITION fuse is not blown? look in the car book and make sure you have checked the right fuses. I believe there are actually 2 fuses involving the ignition. Be sure to check both of them. also, when you turn the key to the on position, does the lights or anything in the car turn on??

my02gt
06-01-2006, 01:23 PM
I think that one is located under the hood. There are 2 of them if I am correct. Both of them still have the "S" connector intact so I assume they arent blown.

I did check both of em like I said. Yes I get all the lights like it is starting then only the SVS and Trac Off come on.

slickjoe
06-01-2006, 01:26 PM
hmmm..... that is strange. So if the lights are coming on then you are getting power from your ignition switch. It may be the starter.....

slickjoe
06-01-2006, 01:28 PM
or in fact, another fuse to something else could have blown. Like you said, the battery was hooked up when you were messing with the radio. I would check all the fuses relating to pre-start of your engine. Especially the fuses that are needed to start the car.

Sprucegagt
06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Does the engine crank (i.e. turn over) or do you get nothing at all?

my02gt
06-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Nope no crank. The ignition does click though.

slickjoe
06-01-2006, 06:53 PM
my02gt, there are THREE ignition fuses. 2 are for the ignition switch, and 1 for the ignition system, all 3 are found under the fuse box under the hood. I believe the number for the ign. system is 51. Im not sure if you checked that or not, but i do remember you saying in a previous post that you 'checked both of them'. Not sure if you meant 2 or 3.

Sprucegagt
06-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Check if you have a loose battery cable. You should not be able to move either cable at the terminal.

my02gt
06-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Well, I had the car towed today to the dealership. I am leaving for Orlando tomorrow though. I will let you all know when I get back what the problem was.

EDIT: The dealer called right after I posted this. (FREAKY) Anyway, the fuse I thought I checked, PCM Fuse, had blown. I guess I skipped over it. Anyway, just thought I would let you know.

slickjoe
06-03-2006, 07:00 PM
lol told you it had to be a fuse

slickjoe
06-03-2006, 07:00 PM
well if that was the only thing then i guess you are lucky. Could have been a lot worse.