Transmission/Engine check [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission/Engine check

D0M1N8R
05-31-2006, 07:02 AM
First off my engine has dropped MPG. I peaked out at 30MPG and averaged 27MPG at one time but now I am lucky to get 24MPG.
Ive cleaned out the air filter which is a K&N and used the K&N recharge kit.
The motor doesnt seem to be skipping beats so not sure if its plugs.

Next now more recently the tranny seems to be slipping some times. On the highway the tracktion control off light comes on for long periods of times. I tried checking the fluid level but there is no level stick. I pulled of the fill cap and really cant see anything to make any sort of judgement.

I think there is 2 seperate issues here since the engine also seems to be under powered from last motor before pepboys wrecked it which this far I have eaten the cost.

Need some good suggestion on checking these things and am on a very limited budget. This car seems to have nothing but the worst of luck and I've fallen more and more into debt cuz of it. I was already in enough debt but this car is slowing my pay back progress a ton. Quite frankly if this is another expensive fix I'm gonna have to get a bike cuz I have ran out of funds and credit.

1coop44
05-31-2006, 07:45 AM
With the Traction off light are you also getting a SVS light ? Possible wheel bearing.

Have you changed you fuel filter lately ?

D0M1N8R
05-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Fuel filter hasnt been changed.

The svs light is no lit

just went out for another ride and transmission is slipping quite a bit more. Transmission shop here said no charge to check it out but they wont be ready till Friday to even look at it. =,(

In the mean time any good way of checking the transmission fluid level?

Bonnor
05-31-2006, 04:37 PM
when my tranny was slipping i drained teh fluid..preassurchecked it then refilled it and it hasn't done it since and that was about 15,000km ago

D0M1N8R
06-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Today I decided cant do no wrong so I put in 1 quart of tranny oil. Took her up for a spin and seemed to be grabing good! After about 20-30 minutes worth of riding though it started slipping again. Pulled over and put in another quart but same thing. So now im probably 2 quarts over and havent resolved anything =,(

Bonnor
06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
maybe you have a leak somewhere?

D0M1N8R
06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Thats what I thought when I pored in the second quart but it didnt make a diffrence.

Bonnor
06-02-2006, 07:10 PM
well...do a preassure check on your tranny just incase there is a leak somewhere

MBLAX32
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I just talked to a friend of mine down @Advance auto parts, and I don't claim that he's know-all however he pointed out a very interesting point to me tonight. Evidently this is a Grand Am/Grand prix thing, but using a K&N filter with the recharge kit is bad news for our intakes. The oil in the recharge is something K&N specific evidently and gets sucked through the intake no matter how much/long it has dried after cleaning, which in turn causes O2 sensor malfunctions/tranny problems/SES lights/etc.

Just a heads up for those of us using K&N, it might be crazy but I'm pretty convinced it would make sense seeing how every single "symptom" of this theory checks out on my car.. guess it's time to switch to something else.

Lata :)

Mike Jung
07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
I just talked to a friend of mine down @Advance auto parts, and I don't claim that he's know-all however he pointed out a very interesting point to me tonight. Evidently this is a Grand Am/Grand prix thing, but using a K&N filter with the recharge kit is bad news for our intakes. The oil in the recharge is something K&N specific evidently and gets sucked through the intake no matter how much/long it has dried after cleaning, which in turn causes O2 sensor malfunctions/tranny problems/SES lights/etc.

Just a heads up for those of us using K&N, it might be crazy but I'm pretty convinced it would make sense seeing how every single "symptom" of this theory checks out on my car.. guess it's time to switch to something else.

Lata :)
:wtf :wtf :wtf !!!

How is the oil from a K&N air filter going to effect an O2 sensor ?

It could effect the MAF; but the O2 sensor lol
(& this could effect more than just GA's & GP's.)

MBLAX32
07-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Ok, so maybe I'm a bit off, still learning everything as I go.. I do sound like I should be on a short bus though I guess..

Anyways, from what I gathered I guess it's messing up the sensors of some sort, so I believe I used the wrong term.

Thanks for responding though, I'm trying to make sense of all the problems I'm having so I'm more frustrated than anything.. take it easy guys-

D0M1N8R
07-10-2006, 08:33 PM
To update this post my tranny got swapped out after it started completly slipping badly. New tranny in and back in business! I have spent far too much money on this car though. The sales man who sold it to me definetly bent me over. This car I found out after replacing the motor had a junkyard motor/tranny in it. Bought the car with 30K miles on it and to my supprise when I had to replace the motor at 50K because of a pepboys screw up they optioned to completly deny, both motor and tranny had junk yard markings on them.
So now ive probably spent about $2500 on motor replacement and $700 on tranny.
Ive got other issues on the car at this point like the AC which needs a recharge and struts need replacement and got some sort of coolant leak some where. This car has been a complete nightmare and drain on my wallet. I owe so much money cuz of it.
I plan to get rid of this car and be in the market soon for something else. I have never owned a car with so many problems and trail of bad luck.
Front end collision when my car was parked. $600 out of my pocket then. $500 deductable plus misc things.
about another $200 in mirrors. 1 got damaged in a car wash. the other was my fault.
I keep trying to keep up with it but think the line has been crossed. Lets just see if I can get another car before something else happens.

Oh yes.. PS my last tank averaged 27MPG after tranny change!

With current gas prices sky rocketing I just might trade it in for a moped =)

digitalballz
07-10-2006, 08:37 PM
2500 on a motor swap is way too much!

D0M1N8R
07-10-2006, 08:43 PM
ya cost me like $450 for junkyard motor. After installing it found it that motor was trash. I had already spent a weekend and part of another getting it installed with buddies wife very angry cuz he wasnt spending time with her =\
so I had the car towed to the junkyard. Probably like $50. Was a buddy of mine with a trailer so just had to cough up some gas and food.
$800 in labor was charged to my credit.
Ive spent about $100-$150 in misc items when we did install it.
Also had a hospital visit after burning 3 fingers in the process of taken something apart in the car that cost some money.
It took 4 months to save enough money to go forward with repairs without going over my credit car limit and there was a bit of legal talks that stopped me from working on it right away. In that time frame I was still paying for insurance on my car and payments plus insurance on another car I was barrowing and paying for gas on that which was a big truck getting like 13 MPG.
I ofcourse hooked up my helper with drinks/food and stufff.
I can only estimate I spent a total of $2500. Could easily be more.