A few problems, suggestions needed. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A few problems, suggestions needed.

J's02GT
05-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Hello all,
I want to thank you all for your help. I've had my GA since 2003 and I've been an avid reader of this forum and many times this forum has helped me out with some problems.

I've searched and searched and have not had too much luck finding the info I needed. Let me describe what's going on...

First off I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT (4-door).

1. In November of 2005 it reached 80,000 miles and the LIM Gasket failed (surprise). So I took it to a local shop in Westerville, OH to have it fixed. They replaced the gasket, oil change, flushed the cooling system, replaced the spark plugs and put on a new serpentine belt (I had the parts lying around, they just put them on for me since I didn't have a garage or time to do so). Well, I drove it for about 4000 miles, and noticed that I kept smelling coolant. Sure enough it failed AGAIN. So I took it back and told them that this was crap and it was covered under their warranty. I received the car back and they had replaced the gasket, flushed the cooling system and changed the oil. I then gave the car as a loaner to my mom and Grandma. About three weeks and 400 miles later, my mom called me to let me know the carís low coolant light was on and it was driving funny. I drove over to find out that it was leaking again. This would be the third time within six months that the gasket has failed. I know theyíre known to be faulty, but I think this is a little ridiculous since the car wasnít driven all that much. Iím going to be calling the shop; any suggestions before I call would be great.

2. Around the same time in November 2005, I noticed the ABS, SVS and TRAC light came on. I researched and many people said that the hub assembly has gone bad, but Iím not sure how to tell which one. I tried to see if there would be a code since the SVS light was on, but there were no codes. I drove it through the winter and did hit some ice where I used the brakes and to my surprise the ABS kicked in, but only on certain wheels and it seemed like only for a period because instead of even braking, the car would drift and the wheels would periodically lock up. Iím not sure which wheel it is, but I think it might be the back right or passenger side all together. So, if someone could shed some light onto how to figure out whatís causing this problem, Iíd greatly appreciate it.

3. I replaced the driverís side window regulator and it has broken again. The cables are tight and will not move, so Iím figuring that it just needs replaced. I got the last one off of ebay and it only lasted two months or so. Is there a more suitable place to buy one from, or should I just try my luck again at ebay?

I really like my Grand Am and Iíd like to get it fixed. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I can do some basic work on the car myself, but anything beyond that, I have no clue how to do, so any suggestions on a place around central Ohio (I live in Grove City, but I can drive it anywhere to get it fixed), would be awesome.

Thanks in advanced,
- J -

slickjoe
05-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Try checking the fuses at first. My ABS fuse blew before and had to replace it. As for the coolant, pull out the oil stick and if it is a milky type of color then the coolant is leaking into your oil tank.

Aleromi
05-31-2006, 07:54 PM
parts for ur hub...http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserEmail&requested=schramautoparts&frm=289

lone_wolf025
05-31-2006, 09:26 PM
A) Make sure the shop is using the new gasket design as opposed to the old ones.
B) Motors just go bad sometimes. I've had the same thing happen on my old blazer so its really just a toss up as to whether or not the motor will last.
C) Make sure your wheel sensors (a little magnet up against a toothed wheel) aren't full of metal shavings or anything. If you have a DVOM you can switch it to AC and check the read out from the sensors to see if they've gone bad.

Thats all I can think of. Hope it helps.

Aleromi
06-01-2006, 05:56 PM
A) Make sure the shop is using the new gasket design as opposed to the old ones.
B) Motors just go bad sometimes. I've had the same thing happen on my old blazer so its really just a toss up as to whether or not the motor will last.
C) Make sure your wheel sensors (a little magnet up against a toothed wheel) aren't full of metal shavings or anything. If you have a DVOM you can switch it to AC and check the read out from the sensors to see if they've gone bad.

Thats all I can think of. Hope it helps.

Hey lone ...i agree its possible that the head's could be bad...

As for the hubs our n-body's dont have a ABS ring like the trucks do.
the sensor is inside the hub itself...

the only way to ck them is to have the dealer use ther very big and overly price BCM/ecu scan tool .. need to scan the computer to tell u what hub needs to be replace.