Unable to close moonroof completely [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Unable to close moonroof completely

Vintalage
05-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Here is the issue; the electronics somehow got screwed and now the moonroof only closes to vent mode. When I hit vent/open once, the roof moves up from vent and stops. Hit it again and it opens until it comes to a stop. The thing is that it doesn't stop at the factory set point (relay click). It simply continues until it hits the built in stopper which I believe cracked.

Don't tell me i'm going to have to take this in to get repaired? Is there a way to manually close it?

71,2xx miles currently

rtranger81
05-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Sounds like something is really messed up there and I know of no way to close it by hand. Duct tape mind become your best friend. My friends grand am did that and he had to get a new one which was 1100 at the dealership.

slickjoe
05-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah I had this issue, you are exactly right. Don't try manually closing it, as I tried doing this and ended up bending the metal railings which the sunroof runs on.

iceman
05-31-2006, 08:57 PM
To manually close it, you'll need a torx bit, the same size as the 3 bolts that hold the sunroof motor to the roof. I don't remember the size off hand but it's not too big. anyways, take off the A pillar molding, the visors (all 4 pieces), and the sunroof molding, that will let the headliner hang enough to get at the motor. Theres a red plastic gear showing out the bottom, the torque bit goes inside there, and youll be able to close it.

Theres a really good thread around here abotu what to do if for some reason the glass isn't supposed to be where it is, and it makes the limit switch off... basically you crank the roof open, take off the motor, pull the glass all the way to open, hit the open button till it stops going, then put it back together and everything should be good.

nascarnate326
05-31-2006, 09:34 PM
iceman ftw

slickjoe
06-01-2006, 11:57 AM
the bottom line is, don't try FORCING the window to go down, or you will end up bending the railings the sunroof rides on.

Vintalage
06-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks Iceman. I closed the roof yesterday right before a thunderstorm. I did open it to see if it would do it again and it did just that. It went past the vent position and stopped. So it looks like I have a project this weekend. I have to pull down the whole headliner so I can get to the motor freely. The headliner has some sharp edges and it knicked my arms up pretty good when I was forcing it shut. I had to use a mallet and along with a torx driver to shut it. I recommend this.

iceman
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
A mallet, damn. I can't find the good thread I used before yet, but here's one.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35304&highlight=sunroof+limit

AznGA
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Well same thing happened to me last night. The sunroof moved fine, but it wouldn't close fully. It would stop at the vent position.

I took it to a dealer today and it only cost me $51. A lot cheaper than I thought. They said they just had to reallign it.

Vintalage
07-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Well same thing happened to me last night. The sunroof moved fine, but it wouldn't close fully. It would stop at the vent position.

I took it to a dealer today and it only cost me $51. A lot cheaper than I thought. They said they just had to reallign it.

Actually, it's the faulty sunroof module that is screwing it up. Mine sometimes doesn't open fully until a second press of the open button. It will start and stop. Happens quite frequently.

lone_wolf025
07-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Gonna hijack this a little.

Another thread mentioned white lithium grease for the moonroof tracks. Just wanted to make sure that's what I should use.

AznGA
07-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Actually, it's the faulty sunroof module that is screwing it up. Mine sometimes doesn't open fully until a second press of the open button. It will start and stop. Happens quite frequently.

Well the dealer only adjusted my sunroof and it works fine now.

What exactly is the module? How expensive is this job?

AznGA
07-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Gonna hijack this a little.

Another thread mentioned white lithium grease for the moonroof tracks. Just wanted to make sure that's what I should use.

I used some garage door opener grease. I think the factory used some kind of pink colored grease but I couldn't find it at any store.