New Ball Joint Bolts too big [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Ball Joint Bolts too big

bigbangtech
05-31-2006, 05:54 PM
I just bought new ball joints, and the bolts supplied for my 99 grand am are too big. Is it normal to have to drill the control arms to get the bolts to fit?

Has anyone had to do this, and what size bit did you use? Help!

Aleromi
05-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Normaly i just replace the whole lower arm cuz the rear bushings are bad aswell in most cases...

Also its easyer for me to replace the whole arm than cutting out the old ball joints...

and way i would got back to the auto parts store and make sure u got the right parts as in the to check the bolts... they might have miss pack the bolts... and yes u have to drill out or chisle out the studs... and its a mother to do...

lone_wolf025
05-31-2006, 08:57 PM
^ What he said.

Just remember that its drill/chisel out the studs assuming the ball joints have never been replaced and that you're only drilling the studs out not drilling a new hole.

bigbangtech
05-31-2006, 09:07 PM
^ What he said.

Just remember that its drill/chisel out the studs assuming the ball joints have never been replaced and that you're only drilling the studs out not drilling a new hole.

I've already drilled out those SOB rivets. Also, the both ball joint boxes have the same oversized bolts. The new bolts fit the holes in the new ball joints fine. If the bolts were smaller, then it looks as if the ball joint would be loose and not align right.

The ball joints appear to be the correct application:

104258 BJ-14258 K-6527 Moog Problem Solver (Solves one problem, gives you another LOL!)

bigbangtech
05-31-2006, 09:28 PM
I've already drilled out those SOB rivets. Also, the both ball joint boxes have the same oversized bolts. The new bolts fit the holes in the new ball joints fine. If the bolts were smaller, then it looks as if the ball joint would be loose and not align right.

The ball joints appear to be the correct application:

104258 BJ-14258 K-6527 Moog Problem Solver (Solves one problem, gives you another LOL!)

Ha, I looked up the part numbers, and these fit stamped steel control arms.

I have aluminum control arms, so woe is me, back to the store.

ndprunner22
05-31-2006, 09:47 PM
New Ball Joint Bolts too big!

thats what she said:heh: :homo: