tail light circuit board burning [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tail light circuit board burning

stangdude
06-01-2006, 09:58 AM
anyone else have a problem with this? on my '02 the drivers side innermost tail light bulb keeps burning out and is actually melting the circuit board. I'd been through 3 bulbs in 6 months. It's not much of an issue since I had the dealer replace it under warranty and haven't had a problem since with the new board, but wanted to know how many of you also had it. I asked the dealer if there was a TSB or anything out on it since I've noticed a lot of grand ams around with that light burnt out. Mine's an SE but I'm pretty sure the boards are the same on the SE and GT models.

pyro
06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
never heard of this happeneing before...weird

my02gt
06-01-2006, 10:44 AM
I had this problem when I first bought the car. I posted numerous times here in the stuff wanted for a new one. I finally went to a junkyard and found one for $20. I dunno what causes it though.

1coop44
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I've had to have the circuit board replaced once so far. Had about 20000 miles on the car at the time. Just had to replace that damn bulb again a few weeks ago.

tenspeed
06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I dunno what causes it though.

If there is not a firm connection, you have higher resistance. The higher resisance causes heat.

Clean up the contacts and put a little di-electric grease (silicone) on them to prevent corrosion.

stangdude
06-02-2006, 06:57 AM
if you push the bulbs in till they click, how is there no firm connection? assuming you clean the socket before you install the bulb.

tenspeed
06-02-2006, 10:21 AM
if you push the bulbs in till they click, how is there no firm connection? assuming you clean the socket before you install the bulb.

One way would be if the contact at the bottom was pushed down, bent or corroded. If your contact is poor, try pulling up on it to improve the connection.

CoopGT
06-02-2006, 05:19 PM
From what I could see on mine the electrodes/wires were corroded from moisture . The wire on the circuit board was green from corrosion where the bulb made contact (damn copper wires) . The second circuit board is showing the same corrosion & and I don't see any moisture in the tail light .