V6 vs 4-cylinder G6 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : V6 vs 4-cylinder G6

Newfie-G6
06-10-2006, 09:30 PM
I am looking for opinions on fuel consumption between the V6 and the 4-cylinder. I realize the ratings on the specs sheet, but is it possible that the V6 can be better on fuel consumption considering it is installed in the same weighted vehicle. Would it make sense to say, that a larger, more powerful engine would use less fuel to move the same vehicle. I figure that you need to use more power and more time from the 4-cylinder to reach a desired speed. Basically, the monthly cost of these vehicles are fairly similar, the V6 a little higher than the 4-cylinder, thus I am trying to justify getting the V6!! Anyone have any knowledge or experience on this subject?

mr_eh
06-10-2006, 09:33 PM
hi they put these sweet ass stickers on cars that say he mpg on highway/street..

http://carpoint.com has your information

Mike Jung
06-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Fuel Consumpton Guide 2006 PDF (http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/fuel-consumption-guide-2006.pdf)

from: http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/personal-vehicles-initiative.cfm

G6 with 2.4L 4-cylinder engine:
City 10.0 L/100 km (28 mp[Imperial]g) = about 23.5 mp(US)g
Hwy 6.4 L/100 km (44 mp[Imperial]g) = about 36.8 mp(US)g

G6 with 3.5L V6 engine:
City 10.6 L/100 km (27 mp[Imperial]g) = about 22.2 mp(US)g
Hwy 6.8 L/100 km (42 mp[Imperial]g) = about 34.6 mp(US)g

IMO, get the V6 engine.

Newfie-G6
06-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I know what the specs say, and what they mean. But i would like to hear some reasoning as to why a V6 will burn more gas over all. Convince me to buy the V6!!

Thanks...

mr_eh
06-10-2006, 10:18 PM
the #'s are negotiable, if you honestly care about gas mileage, get a hybrid.

Mike Jung
06-10-2006, 10:24 PM
...Convince me to buy the V6!!...
Go for a test drive with the two engines.

See how they drive.

For me: torque is a good selling point in every day driving.

3500 V-6 (LX9) engine = 223 ft-lb @ 3200 rpm

2.4L 4-cylinder (LE5) engine = 162 ft-lb @ 4500 rpm

the #'s are negotiable, if you honestly care about gas mileage, get a hybrid.
F-that.

You'll pay a premuim price for a hybird.

nascarnate326
06-10-2006, 10:43 PM
^ He said it. Torque is what really matters to me.

And ya, dont get a hybrid. It will only get recalled, stolen, hit, batterys dead, not to mention your going to pay for that hybrid, and its foreign in the fact of helping Japan. Plus its going to take like 5 years to start to turn a positive. This all asuming you wouldnt be gettin a silverado, or escape hybrid. If your woried about MPG try a cobalt. Good MPG and still fairly sporty looking.

Mike Jung
06-10-2006, 10:47 PM
^ He said it. Torque is what really matters to me...
Coming from a guy that "down graded" to a '98 Z-24 lol
(I know, you got stick.)

:tongue3:

[I get to drive my Mom's '98 Sunfire GT (in auto) every week.]

cmtapanes
06-11-2006, 02:57 AM
I get 360 miles on a tank with my modifications.

Mike Jung
06-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I get 360 miles on a tank with my modifications.
Do you have a G6 :confused:

bigbenSC
06-11-2006, 09:07 AM
As the only one who has responded that has a G6, I can tell you that I regularly get 34 MPG in all highway driving and about 22 in the city, I have the GT model. If you are looking at a base V6 the mileage will be slightly higher as the final drive ratio is geared more towards mileage than performance. I would completely skip the 4 cylinder model. The G6 is a large and heavy car. Performance is only decent with the 3.5 V6, the 4 banger would be pathetic. For 2007 the 3.5 V6 is going to get a bump from 201 HP to about 224, so I would definately wait unless you are getting a spectacular deal on an '06. Do NOT buy the 4 cylinder if you have any love of performance in your cars.

B0000rt
06-11-2006, 09:11 AM
And ya, dont get a hybrid. It will only get recalled, stolen, hit, batterys dead, not to mention your going to pay for that hybrid, and its foreign in the fact of helping Japan.
Is that your mentality about buying non-domestic cars? If that's the fact, you're totally misguided.

Case and point, the Nissan Titan.

The Nissan Titan is a Pickup truck that was purpose built, solely designed and only manufactured in North America.

It is ONLY sold to North American.
It was designed by Americans in the San Diego design studios.
The truck is manufactured and assembled by Americans in Canton, Mississippi.

But I'm sure you'd tell me the Pontiac Vibe is more "American" than the Nissan Titan. ;crap

---------

Getting back on topic.

Clearly you have the money to pay the extra price premium for the V6 version over the I4. According to Fueleconomy.gov which is run by the US department of Energy, comparing the G6 I4 and G6 V6 side by side the average annual fuel expense for each are as follows:

I4 = $1598
V6 = $1663

$65 more per year, ok, say this number is very conservative and we'll double the difference, still spending $130 more on gas over a WHOLE year, is peanuts imo. Get the V6.

Ajaxus
06-11-2006, 10:26 AM
check my write-up on gmtuners.net, it offers you another good alternative.

Shad0wguy
06-11-2006, 11:06 AM
I4 = $1598
V6 = $1663

$65 more per year, ok, say this number is very conservative and we'll double the difference, still spending $130 more on gas over a WHOLE year, is peanuts imo. Get the V6.

With numbers like that, who would buy a 4-banger?

bigbenSC
06-11-2006, 12:58 PM
^ They want to save an extra buck at the initial purchase. In the G6's case the mileage tradeoff isn't significant, but in many other cars it is.

nascarnate326
06-11-2006, 01:53 PM
No im just saying that if your spending 20k plus, torque is somethign to think about. My car was 4k, and is alot better then the GA I had. What did the Cavilear ever do to this place? Some people go from a STI to a Civic, and I get bashed?

Ya Titan is a great truck and I commend them on doing all the work in the USA. The vehical is american, but the fact that the money still goes back to japan gives it the "foreign" title. No one ever said that "foreign" cars are bad, R34 comes to my mind.
Toyota Matrix/ Pontaic Vibe was a joint venture between Toyota and GM. Every vehical that comes from Toyota, Honda, Nissan is deisgned for the american market. Read "The End of Detroit," I did and learned lots Mr. B0000rt. Maby my auto mentality is in thanks part to all the GM forms im part of.

xxbackhillxx
06-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Some people go from a STI to a Civic, and I get bashed?.
You're an idiot. Yea ... he voluntarily got a civic instead of his ****ty STi.

Mike Jung
06-11-2006, 04:04 PM
No im just saying that if your spending 20k plus, torque is somethign to think about.
My car was 4k, and is alot better then the GA I had. What did the Cavilear ever do to this place? Some people go from a STI to a Civic, and I get bashed?...
Sorry, I was just kidding around :blushing: ;crap

Yeah, my Mom picked-up her Sunfire GT off of my buddy for $3.5K Cdn as-is.
(Needed all new brakes all around & new front control arm bushings.)

2003SCT
06-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Is there a big difference when it comes to the price for insurance? I guess that could be a factor too but it's prob. not THAT much. My only question is if the whole LIM thing has been handled...? I am sure it has been but havent seen any proof yet as with this issue...only time would tell. I would say get the V6 if everything as far as the LIM has been resolved.

BTW on the Titan being an American truck...I agree with the fact that it IS about as American as you can get HOWEVER I know quite a few people who own Titans who use the phrase " I just didn't want an American truck". Then when they have issues or squeaks or rattles they make comments about the fact those are result of American manufacturing and say stuff like "If it were built totally in Japan..I wouldnt have any issues" People use the whole "american" car thing to their liking...sometimes they own an american car and sometimes they own anything but.

CHRIS

nascarnate326
06-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Mike your cool, but like for some reason everone seems to hate the cavilear.
Ya it just seems that me only liking american branded cars, gets me in trouble on here. This place is just wack.

Braves299
06-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Mike your cool, but like for some reason everone seems to hate the cavilear.
Ya it just seems that me only liking american branded cars, gets me in trouble on here. This place is just wack.

No offense here.. but why can you not spell the name of your car correctly?

Rich
06-12-2006, 07:46 PM
^ lol

well im not sure if this person will ever come back but im sure the G6 is simliar to the GA (a heavy car.) the 4 cylinder will not save you gas. i remember reading someone on here had an intake and exhaust on his 3400 and was defintly getting better MPG than me. go for the V6 if youre worried about fuel economy.