Cold Cathode Wiring [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cold Cathode Wiring

my02gt
06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Here is my newest wiring project. I am wanting to wire two cold cathodes from oznium and two prewired led's from oznium all to one switch. I posted a diagram and all I need to know is if it is right or not. I have searched and read on how to wire things but I want to know if I were to wire these 4 things the way I have it in my diagram, will it work? Im pretty sure it will though. The 2 cathodes go in the footwells and the 2 led's will mount under the radio bezel to light the cubby hole under my radio.

my02gt
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
EDIT: Tried to post a better diagram.

iceman
06-11-2006, 06:59 PM
That will do, except where's your fuse? Always protect yourself.. worth the dollar or two..

Just make sure you ahve the proper LEDs to run 2 of them in series on 12volts.

my02gt
06-11-2006, 07:38 PM
the LEDS I am using are the prewired ones from oznium. I assume they have resistors built in. I have the switched hooked to a 20A fuse in my Fuse Box. I assume thats ok?

iceman
06-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Eh.. you will torch those wires with 20 amps without the fuse even popping. If I were you I'd use an add-a-circuit with a much smaller fuse for your lights.

Will it work as you have it? of course. You just don't want to risk a short circuit causing some sort of fire for a few bucks.

tenspeed
06-12-2006, 12:10 AM
the LEDS I am using are the prewired ones from oznium. I assume they have resistors built in. I have the switched hooked to a 20A fuse in my Fuse Box. I assume thats ok?

If they have resistors built in, they should each get wired to the 12 VDC power from the switch. They would be side by side, not nose to tail.

my02gt
06-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Eh.. you will torch those wires with 20 amps without the fuse even popping. If I were you I'd use an add-a-circuit with a much smaller fuse for your lights.

Will it work as you have it? of course. You just don't want to risk a short circuit causing some sort of fire for a few bucks.

Can you kinda help me with the add a circuit. Not exactly sure what you mean. Currently I have 4 switches wired to 4 20A fuses on my fuse box. Only 2 of the switches do anything. 1 lights up my pedals I have and one is used for my radar. (Basically a kill switch) Anwway, back on track, I dont exactly what that is or where to get it.

tenspeed, do I need to get the ones without resistors and just not use a resistor at all? I have them wired (+-+-) how are you telling me to wire them? I wouldnt know how to wire them to a switch another way. iceman said it would work though.

tenspeed
06-12-2006, 11:01 AM
tenspeed, do I need to get the ones without resistors and just not use a resistor at all? I have them wired (+-+-) how are you telling me to wire them? I wouldnt know how to wire them to a switch another way. iceman said it would work though.

I'm assuming that the LED's you bought have the resistors built in.
If they do, then each would need 12 volts feeding them. The way you have them in your diagram (+-+-), they would have 6 volts across each light.

my02gt
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm assuming that the LED's you bought have the resistors built in.
If they do, then each would need 12 volts feeding them. The way you have them in your diagram (+-+-), they would have 6 volts across each light.
aaah....I see. Will this method work?
The blue dashes are connectors too. I didnt want to have to type it again. lol.

EDIT: This will screw with you probably. I have read and read and read pages of wiring info. I want to wire these how I have them , on a switch, but I also want them to come on when the doors do. Can you please explain how to do that. I am new and apologize for being dumb. You may need to draw somethin up quick on paint or photoshop. Diagrams usually help. Everything I order is coming from oznium. I thought about getting 2 cathodes for the back seat too. I was gonna mount them on the ceiling but not sure how to hide the wires/transformer. Also I forgot to mention earlier that 2 cathodes are going in each footwell. Again sorry for not knowing things, I just need a crash course. I thank you for all your help.