Best navigation model? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Best navigation model?

Exodus
06-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Out of all the models out there, Magellan, Tom Tom, Garmins, Piolot, etc. what is the best Navigation contraption out there. Dont really care for DVD features, just want to be able to plot destinations and get directly to the place w/o trouble. Im looking for the ones w/ satellite control not the downloadable maps.
Oh and im lookin to spend around $800.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Metallman56
06-12-2006, 09:42 AM
if i were you i would get a pioneer n2 off ebay. i have one works great. but the best part about it, is that it will work with xm radio to reroute you around traffic, so you are never in a jam. but you are probably going to spend a little more then $800.

Exodus
06-12-2006, 09:46 AM
if i were you i would get a pioneer n2 off ebay. i have one works great. but the best part about it, is that it will work with xm radio to reroute you around traffic, so you are never in a jam. but you are probably going to spend a little more then $800.

Is that one of the sys. that are molded into the dash? Im really looking for the portable ones so I can use it in my car and my gf's car.

Mendoza
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
If your looking for a portable navigation Crimestopper (www.crimestopper.com)
makes a unit called the NavPro. Retails for about 799.95 preloaded with the east coast or west depending on what you want. (You can also get a full 2 gig chip with all 50 states) This unit is better then everything else in the market because the mapping can always be updated via the sd card. Also has over 10 million Points of Intrest so say you are in TexasArkana and you want some good ribs all you have to do is click the POI button and select restaurant and go from there. The other units like the Tom Tom and Garmin models are good but don't have many POI because they don't have enough space on the disk. They had to sacrifice something in order to get all the mapping on the disk. With the Crimestopper you can delete and add new destinations (if you have a 1 gig chip) to as long as you have a USB car reader with USB 2.0. Hope this helps out!

Metallman56
06-12-2006, 10:02 AM
yeah you dont want a n2 if you want to use it in 2 cars. sorry, you didnt mention that in your first post.

00GT1
06-12-2006, 10:20 AM
the BEST and MOST portable navigation system out there according to me and car and driver is the Garmin Nuvi, i personally have and love this system, it's tiny, portable, had a three hour battery hour (more if you buy the better battery), an expansion slot (SD), it comes preloaded with all of america IN DETAIL, i have yet to find a place that this thing doesn't have. My gf lives on a ranch and it even has her driveway. The tracking time of the GPS satalites after your first orientation is almost instantanious ( i timed 1.3 and 2.6 seconds depending on where you are). And the thing draws so little power that i accidently left it on with my stock battery overnight and when i got back, my car started fine. What i like the most however is it's size, it's mountable practically anywhere. I have it mounted in my upper left hand corner of my windshield and it's small enough that i only notice it when i look over. O yea it also has the option to tunr off your GPS so you can use the MP3 player, dictionary, language translator, calc, ect. Best device i ever bought:):applause:

PS Mendoza...."This unit is better then everything else in the market because the mapping can always be updated via the sd card. Also has over 10 million Points of Intrest so say you are in TexasArkana and you want some good ribs all you have to do is click the POI button and select restaurant and go from there."

Nuvi does all that and then some pancakes, you can search for things by catagory and subcategory.... you need a hospital, hit that button, fast food, hit that, fine dining, hit that ect, and nuvi comes loaded with over 60 million POI's i belive, this thing like i said literally has everything you could ever need not to mention what you can't fit on the system itself, you can put on the SD slot. You can plug the system itself into the computer to access it's internal HD as well. 5 Stars to the Garmin Nuvi

tomh
06-12-2006, 10:36 AM
i have been looking for a nav unit my self (I know very little about time)

Now some of them come preloaded with the maps how do I get the updates? Probably have to pay to get them.

the ones that are controled via satellite i would assume never need updated but is it not going to work every place like my XM radio? And when it cannot connect to the satellite does the nav still work? any monthly fees to a system that is controled via satellite?

after looking at the crimestopper im not impressed if they expect someone to pay $800 for a unit they should make a decent looking web site (just doesnt give me a good company image when i look at it) imo

00GT1
06-12-2006, 10:46 AM
i have been looking for a nav unit my self (I know very little about time)

Now some of them come preloaded with the maps how do I get the updates? Probably have to pay to get them.

the ones that are controled via satellite i would assume never need updated but is it not going to work every place like my XM radio? And when it cannot connect to the satellite does the nav still work? any monthly fees to a system that is controled via satellite?

after looking at the crimestopper im not impressed if they expect someone to pay $800 for a unit they should make a decent looking web site (just doesnt give me a good company image when i look at it) imo

Updates from garmin are free and dlable from the internet either to the unit or to the SD card, there is no monthly fee for usage of either the WAAS or GPS sats, i have yet to find a place where i don't get service, but in theory, you can lose service, the nice thing about the nuvi is that in places like tunnels, it "knows" you're in a tunnel and looks at the speed you went into it and calcs how long it should take you to get out, cutting out that annoying "need a clear view of the sky" **** that most other models do. I think there's a reason that crimestopper is not found in stores IMO, best buy (where i got mine) and circuit city are the best places to find the nuvi, it's well worth the price:)

Mendoza
06-12-2006, 10:48 AM
10 millions POI was a ruff estimate you can find out more the on the website. The NavPro sounds very similiar to the Garmin model you are talking about. The navpro also has a built in HD with 128mb of storage space (forgot to mention) and can playe audio books and mp3's, wma's. Reason i mentioned the NavPro is because i personally sell the product and play with it first hand almost everyday. So i would say Garmin or Navpro FTW. Whats the price on the Garmin Nav unit?

Mendoza
06-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I think there's a reason that crimestopper is not found in stores IMO
You can only find Crimestopper products at Specialty shops. It's kind of like the Kenwood Excelon and Pioneer Premier products. I wouldn't knock the unit till you tried it. I wouldn't lead you on about bad product everything i talk about is good product. Keep in mind i sell Garmin, Tom Tom and other navigation units to.

00GT1
06-12-2006, 10:58 AM
10 millions POI was a ruff estimate you can find out more the on the website. The NavPro sounds very similiar to the Garmin model you are talking about. The navpro also has a built in HD with half a gig of storage space (forgot to mention) and can player audio books and mp3's, wma's. Reason i mentioned the NavPro is because i personally sell the product and play with it first hand almost everyday. So i would say Garmin or Navpro FTW. Whats the price on the Garmin Nav unit?

I'm not trying to start anything, i'm really not, on the website you directed people to, it lists 128 MB's of internal storage, and "over 2 million" POI's, 2 million to over 10 million is a very large leap. The fact alone that they feel the need to advertise things like "built in speaker" kind of worries me, that should be assumed by any regular consumer who has done any research on GPS navigation when you get into this price range. The nuvi will run you a little bit more than your model, but i believe that the differences make all the sense in the world.

PS O yea, BTW the new nuvi 360 integrates bluetooth into the unit, allowing you to make handsfree calls, ect and interface your phone with it.:)

Also....

"The nüvi 350 is compatible with the GTM 10 FM TMC traffic receiver, which allows users to avoid traffic tie-ups by simply pushing a button that will calculate a new route.

The nüvi 350 also comes with an A/C charger and approximately 700 MBs of internal memory for storage of supplemental maps, MP3s, and audio books (available from Audible.com)."

Link:
http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/
MSRP: $857.13USD

tomh
06-12-2006, 11:02 AM
ok thanks for the info.. my xm cuts out all the time.. &*^&(* mountains and bridges!

Mendoza
06-12-2006, 11:08 AM
it lists 128 MB's of internal storage, and "over 2 million" POI's, 2 million to over 10 million is a very large leap
Ya that is a large leap i didn't check the website before i started running my mouth. ( I tried to edit my post before you caught it lol) 60 million POI could be a bad ruff estimate too. But regardless it's a good unit but you don't have to take my word for it. I checked out the reviews on the Nuvi and only good things were said. So it's all personal prefrence. Hope all this info helps you out.

Exodus
06-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Yeah there's always a catch to everything nothing is ever perfect. Satellite navis probably get no reception in tunnels and the downloadable ones you have to down load updates. I dont believe there is a monthly fee for the satellite access.
the only setback is the screens are so small.

Exodus
06-16-2006, 09:17 AM
What do you guys think about this model http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1817854,00.asp ? it has a 15 in. screen unlike the most popular models such as magellan, and cobra ect. (their screens are ~3X3. It has everything they have plus a mp3. It's also at a reasonable price.

Ajaxus
06-16-2006, 11:24 AM
if you have a laptop you could spend a measly $250 on a top of the line gps setup for it, a mount can run you around $30-80 on ebay or if you cash in a bit more and go my route it would be in the $120 range. So that would be anywhere from $280-370 and you'd have a larger screen, and the capability of expanding to add more features (connect laptop to stereo, add a ps2 or xbox (360)) something to think about.

soon as i get my replacement laptop i'm going to be working on voice recognition software to make it all hands free, that's another thing you can do with them.

tomh
06-16-2006, 11:40 AM
that model doesnt look bad either

AJ i thought about doing the same thing... or even getting a gps for my pda.. but the problem with atleast the pda (correct me if im wrong with the laptop) is that you have go to the pc and load the directions of where you want to go with the pda... .now i know if you had the laptop with you that you wouldnt have to sync it.. but you would probaly have to have the disk in the laptop unless the let you copy the entire thing to the hard drive.. but still how easy is it going to be using it on a computer. (i have yet to see any decent voice activation software) and a mouse/keyboard would be a pita.

Exodus
06-16-2006, 12:41 PM
if you have a laptop you could spend a measly $250 on a top of the line gps setup for it, a mount can run you around $30-80 on ebay or if you cash in a bit more and go my route it would be in the $120 range. So that would be anywhere from $280-370 and you'd have a larger screen, and the capability of expanding to add more features (connect laptop to stereo, add a ps2 or xbox (360)) something to think about.

soon as i get my replacement laptop i'm going to be working on voice recognition software to make it all hands free, that's another thing you can do with them.

Thats a pretty good idea. But I just bought myself a Mac 2 mos ago and Im not ready to buy another comp.

00GT1
06-16-2006, 03:58 PM
To be honest with you, i like the smaller screen, it's less destracting and yet it still displays everything i need to know. I have, like i said, it mounted on the upper left hand corner of my windshield so i don't even notice it anymore, it's right in my field of view enough to get the information, but not enough to block my view. I would think a laptop would get annoying, first off, you need a mount for it unless you want it chillin there on the seat, second off, you have to keep taking your eyes off the road, third off, you're still using GPS just now you have to worry about getting reception through your roof, which throws you down a few ticks seeing as reception through your windshield vs. reception through your roof is going to be noticably different. If you are so worried about your reception, dish out 50ish more buck for an external antenna, most of them today are powerful enough to make it through most tunnels and like i said, THE NEW TECHNOLOGY DOES NOT LOSE YOU IN TUNNELS, it tracks you through them by calculating your speeds and waits for you at the end of it. I truly believe in safety when driving and i doubt that glancing over at a large laptop screen at night can be very safe when driving anywhere. Nuvi solves this problem by using a nighttime vs. daytime screen which preserves your night vision. If you're going to do GPS do it right, god knows your spending enough money

PS. i included a pic of my setup in the car, hope it gives you a little better perspective

Exodus
06-19-2006, 02:34 PM
To be honest with you, i like the smaller screen, it's less destracting and yet it still displays everything i need to know. I have, like i said, it mounted on the upper left hand corner of my windshield so i don't even notice it anymore, it's right in my field of view enough to get the information, but not enough to block my view. I would think a laptop would get annoying, first off, you need a mount for it unless you want it chillin there on the seat, second off, you have to keep taking your eyes off the road, third off, you're still using GPS just now you have to worry about getting reception through your roof, which throws you down a few ticks seeing as reception through your windshield vs. reception through your roof is going to be noticably different. If you are so worried about your reception, dish out 50ish more buck for an external antenna, most of them today are powerful enough to make it through most tunnels and like i said, THE NEW TECHNOLOGY DOES NOT LOSE YOU IN TUNNELS, it tracks you through them by calculating your speeds and waits for you at the end of it. I truly believe in safety when driving and i doubt that glancing over at a large laptop screen at night can be very safe when driving anywhere. Nuvi solves this problem by using a nighttime vs. daytime screen which preserves your night vision. If you're going to do GPS do it right, god knows your spending enough money

PS. i included a pic of my setup in the car, hope it gives you a little better perspective

I get what your sayin. Nice set up BTW.
I settled for the one that I posted up previously, just ordered it today. They dropped the price even more to $595 plus a $100 mail in rebate= $494 w/ no taxes and free shipping. Plus it comes w/ an MP3 player. I think its a great deal all while having a 5 inch screen.

00GT1
06-19-2006, 03:24 PM
I get what your sayin. Nice set up BTW.
I settled for the one that I posted up previously, just ordered it today. They dropped the price even more to $595 plus a $100 mail in rebate= $494 w/ no taxes and free shipping. Plus it comes w/ an MP3 player. I think its a great deal all while having a 5 inch screen.

thanks bro, hope everything turns out ok with that unit, keep us posted