SVS light & headlight problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SVS light & headlight problems

littleblackbug
06-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Since I first got my car after we fixed it up when it was wrecked it's always had a SVS light on. I have a really weird problem with my headlights. When I turn my car on the SVS light comes on and it dings like 3 times. One of my headlights turns on automatically and flickers for a second while the other doesn't come on at all. After the SVS light comes on and it's done I turn my headlight switch in the on position and then turn it off and both headlights go off. What exactly causes this problem? So everytime I turn my car on I have to turn the headlights on and then off to get the headlights not to illuminate. It sounds confusing I know. I have never done any DRL/ALC bypasses or anything. For some reason my car doesn't have daytime running lamps but it does have ALC. My car is a 99 so I'm not sure if they didn't have DRL's then or what. How can I fix this problem and get my SVS light to turn off? Will doing a ALC bypass solve this problem?

BTW I have Sylvania Sivlerstars in my headlights right now.

iceman
06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
One of the high beams is blown, figure out which one and replace it.

:banghead :bleep:

littleblackbug
06-13-2006, 03:04 PM
what do you mean the high beam is blown? a 9007 high beam can blow out and the low still work? I've had 2 different sets of headlight bulbs in the car before and both did the same thing

iceman
06-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Is that a serious question?

Turn on your high beams, see which one doesn't work, and investigate from there. process of elimination.. if it's not the bulbs its the wiring

littleblackbug
06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I just checked and both high beams seem to be working fine. It's probably a wiring problem. I've got other wiring problems somewhere too because my air conditioning compressor isn't turning on. It's not getting any power. My horn doesn't work either. My car is all screwed up I guess. Anyone know where the problem could lie?

iceman
06-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Damn, if I were you I'd find someone w/ a tech2 or a code reader that can read body codes, find where the svs is coming from, and work from there

could be DRL relay too

littleblackbug
06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
ya I guess i dont' really have any other choice. i'll just do that. thanks iceman!

iceman
06-13-2006, 03:27 PM
steal a relay from something else under there and see if the drl's work

littleblackbug
06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
the drl relay is the only one of that type =/

iceman
06-13-2006, 04:58 PM
time to get out the BFH

FuriousG
06-13-2006, 11:00 PM
You said your car was wrecked right? Did you repair it yourself or did you have a mechanic do it? If it was a mechanic then you need to take it back to them and show them the problem because it doesn't sound to me like they finished the job.

If it's been putting up with it for quite a while then it's your fault for not getting it taken care of when you first noticed it. Just take it in and get it fixed rather than waste your repair money rying to track down the problem on your own.

littleblackbug
06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
well it's not costing me anything right now but I will take it somewhere to get looked at. my air conditioning compressor won't turn on because there is no power getting there for some reason. Not sure if that's related to the headlight problem but it's possible i suppose...

REV13
07-27-2006, 09:06 PM
well since this thread died, ima go ahead n hijack it, hope u dont mind....

heres the problem....

headlights are brand new..they worked PERFECT, then all of a sudden they dont turn on...

at night, only the amber lights (outer most n the inner most) turn on. using the switch doesnt work either.
heres the weird part, when i lock the doors with the remote, the lights flash! so they r not burned out.
AND,
during the day, besides the amber lights always being on, the DRL's turn on ONLY when i take it out of park (if i remember correctly they were ALWAYS on, right?)

i did the obvious, checked fuses...i replaced the two fuses on the passenger side that have sumthin to do with the headlights, i replaced the fog light relay cuz it was giving me probs and i replaced a relay under the hood in the fuse box that said it was for the automatic drivinglights(guessin thats drl's).

sooo, wats going on? thx in advance!

tommy00gt1
07-28-2006, 05:58 AM
That's wierd... maybe a previous owner mickey-moused some wiring, perhaps trying to disable the drl's ??? I'mjust guessing here....but that might be a good place to start.
I don't know a hell of a lot about your '97 Grand Am, but on my 2000 GT1 the running lights (amber parking lights) blink when I lock my car..... not the headlights like yours. That sounds strange........ maybe someone fooled around with wiring?????
Watch for help here by others, because I am not familiar with your '97 at all....

Roush GT
07-28-2006, 06:07 AM
well since this thread died, ima go ahead n hijack it, hope u dont mind....

heres the problem....

headlights are brand new..they worked PERFECT, then all of a sudden they dont turn on...

at night, only the amber lights (outer most n the inner most) turn on. using the switch doesnt work either.
heres the weird part, when i lock the doors with the remote, the lights flash! so they r not burned out.
AND,
during the day, besides the amber lights always being on, the DRL's turn on ONLY when i take it out of park (if i remember correctly they were ALWAYS on, right?)

i did the obvious, checked fuses...i replaced the two fuses on the passenger side that have sumthin to do with the headlights, i replaced the fog light relay cuz it was giving me probs and i replaced a relay under the hood in the fuse box that said it was for the automatic drivinglights(guessin thats drl's).

sooo, wats going on? thx in advance!

drl's only turn on when out of park , also the parking lights should flash when locking the doors and not the headlights. sounds like a wiring problem to me.

REV13
07-28-2006, 03:10 PM
its a 2000 GAGT not a '97, forgot that part sorry.

so yea, a wiring problem seems logical, the car was in a wreck so the whole front end is new. but why would they have worked perfect for 2 months or so and then start doing this crap?

i never really paid attention before to wat lights turn on during the day and which at night and which blink when u lock the doors before all this.

do i just take it to an electrician n hope he finds the wiring prob? (if it is a wiring prob) like i said i had probs with the fog lights staying on but it was fixed by just replacing the relay.

ok so now i know the drl's turn on when out of park which mean they work fine, its just the actual light for night time driving...

ima go search n see if theres a thread on how they SHOULD b wired. ill b back if i dont find it...

REV13
07-28-2006, 08:20 PM
ok i found a wiring diagram..ill check 2morrow.

like i said b4 i never noticed which lights should b on at wat time..

drl's are wat lights? there are 4 bulbs in the headlight..lets dumb it down for me and take the right one and number them 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 from left to right....

1 and 4 are on during the day in park...

1, 4 and 3 are on during the day when out of park..

at night...only 1 n 4 are on

when i lock the doors w/ remote 1 n 4 blink AND only 3 from the right HL blinks.

2 are never on (these are the actual night time lights right?)

headlights are new, worked perfect, regular bulbs, no mods at all.

i read in a thread that the BCM could mess with the lights when its fried? could it have been damaged in the accident? how do i check if its that? just run a scan or sumthin?

sorry for the long posts but i always get my stuff resolved with u guys so hopefully i fix this soon...sucks having a 'daytime car' and a 'nighttime car'...

tommy00gt1
07-29-2006, 03:57 PM
This is way beyond my level of expertise, but I think you have major wiring problems...... to me, that sounds all fu**** up... If I were you, I'd take it to someone who fully understands the lighting wiring. I'd guess that there are numerous wires crossed and probably grounding out too. Somebody botched that up big time, I think.....

REV13
07-29-2006, 07:13 PM
This is way beyond my level of expertise, but I think you have major wiring problems...... to me, that sounds all fu**** up... If I were you, I'd take it to someone who fully understands the lighting wiring. I'd guess that there are numerous wires crossed and probably grounding out too. Somebody botched that up big time, I think.....

yea ima end up taking it to a tech n let him deal with it, just wanted to figure it out on my own =(