fuel guage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : fuel guage

gagtrair985
06-18-2006, 03:43 PM
if my fuel gauge always appears full and doesnt function correctly could there be an easy fix??? i bought sea foam treatment but no help.... any suggestions...

Oh and also since there has been problems with this in the past is there new sending units i could buy that has been corrected? I know there is a different part number on the 99 compared to the 2000+ but what exactly is the difference, because its really hard to find a 99 fuel pump assembly not already in horrible condition

Panacea
06-18-2006, 04:18 PM
It's the sensor in the gas tank. The sulfur from the gas coroded the sensor thus giving false readings. You need to drop the tank and replace the whole unit (Don't know if it's with the pump or not.) It costs approx. $500 from the dealership, otherwise I'm sure it's a hundred or so for the unit you need if you feel like doing it yourself.

The part has been corrected, so any new part you buy will be fine.

JohnnyB4439
06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah same thing happened to mine, kind of sucks actually. Now I have to go by miles.

...I thought there was a recall on those fuel sensors but I dont remember which years it was.

Bonnor
06-18-2006, 05:45 PM
i dropped in a total fuel system additive..seems to be working..i know mine was corroded pretty bad...but now it seems to be reading it good..the kms and teh amount of fuel i've used seems to be correct for how i drive it and where i drive it...i guess we'll see in abit if it really did work as well as what i think it has