PDA

View Full Version : Unable to unlock or enter trunk

leemisc
06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Hello,
I'm unable to open my trunk with the key, the button or through the back seat:
the key fits but won't turn,
the button makes a "click" noise but doesn't release the trunk, and
the back seat, which used to pull-down are now locked in place and don't budge.

I'm sure the culpret is a tiny switch which I mistakenly flipped that last time I had my trunk open. It's on the inside of the trunk by the latch and says "Autolock OFF/ON" (or something similar). After doing that it seems to have locked-down every option for getting in the trunk....

Is anyone able to suggest a way to get in the trunk which doesn't mean calling a locksmith or having to punch out the lock fittings myself?

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

(I search for this thread before from anyone and didn't see anything... sorry if this is a repeat posting)

iceman
06-19-2006, 12:34 PM
The key should work..

I've never tried it, but you may be able to take out the back bench part and release the "backs" of the seat and get in that way. I never really looked at the latching mechanism that hard to see if it would release if you pushed the seat up. Other than that, getting creative and patient with a coat hanger through the seat trying to get at the releases is another option without having to take off the rear deck.

badboy2451
06-19-2006, 01:17 PM
yea i would think that you could take the bottom of the back seat out first by pulling it up on both sides, the releasing the seats by opening the latch that holds them in which is located by the seat belt IIRC

slickjoe
06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
i think there is a way to "reset" (don't know how to word it) the car gadgets (like this one). you can't open the trunk through the key insert on the trunk?

slickjoe
06-19-2006, 04:02 PM
if the key is fitting and not turning, then it can't just be the auto-lock switch, because using the key on the key insert on the back of the trunk would be considered manually opening the trunk. my guess is that the trunk is jammed.

gobraves00
06-19-2006, 04:54 PM
you can also go through the 6X9 holes, thats how i have a had to do it in my 97. the cord is on the right side when looking in from the hole, use something to grab it, once u have it pull so u can get as much slack in your hand. usea wire stripped so u can get to the insede wire, just make sure you use the stripper for like 8guage wire so not to cut the wire inside.once u get the wire inside pull on it and it should pop it, hopefully it works. u can actually see the safety switch from the 6X9 hole as well and i was able to unlock once with a long slender pole that i attached a screw to the end to fit through the small finger hole it has

leemisc
06-21-2006, 08:35 AM
All of these suggestions are great. Thanks to all!
I'll give it a whirl this weekend. I'll post my (hopefully successful) results incase others happen to have this same thing happen to them.

slickjoe
06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
yeah no biggy, im pretty sure there is a way to reset everything in the vehicle. I've got a feeling a thing is jammed cuz if you can't manually (open trunk with the key) then it isn't the automatic switch you said you flipped. Read the manual and see if there is a way to reset everything in the car.

Phuxed
06-21-2006, 03:00 PM
I had this experience once...youthful curiousity of "hmm, what does this switch do?" my key didn't work either, but i had left the backseats down just in case i locked myself out of the trunk, so i crawled in and flipped the switch back. What baffles me is that if the switch is supposed to really lock out all methods of opening the trunk, what practical purpose does it serve? The only thing I could come up with is that if someone was kidnapped and put in the trunk, they could lock their kidnappers out...

In any case, good luck!

RedGrandTour
06-21-2006, 06:03 PM
This happened on my 99 grand am. It sat in the rain for a couple of days and when I finally went to drive it the key wouldn't turn either way in the trunk lock. The trunk lock out was on. I used some WD-40 and spayed it in the lock and wiggled the key right and left until it turned.

leemisc
07-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Ultimately, the suggestion to spray some WD-40 in the key socket was what did the trick. With some wiggling of the key it finally opened up.
Once I was able to get in again, I flipped the "Trunk Lock-Out" switch from ON back to OFF and now everything works as normal. I also put duct tape over it so that doesn't happen again.

So the lesson seems to be: don't flip that mysterious switch!

Taking out the back seat and reaching up through to unlatch the seat backs so I could crawl through and manually open the trunk seems like it would have worked eventually... but with a lot more fiddling around and frustration.

Thanks again to all who posted suggestions!