Looking at a 2001 GA, have a few questions and need help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 2001 GA, have a few questions and need help

Dan71
06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
I went to a new car dealer today to look at a used 2001 GA SE w/ a 3.4 85k on it for $5300 The car was clean and ran good. The car was a one owner with a clean carfax report.

I did notice that there was fluid sitting on top of the trans housing and looks to be coming from the intake gasket area. The dipstick and the bottom of the oil cap showed no trace of a milky residue. If it does need intake gaskets, what is the norm cost that job goes for?

The coolant cap on the bottom had brown residue and the coolant looked discolored and a little like jello? I know there was an issue with the Dexcool if it was not flushed after so long, but I do not believe this coolant system was ever flushed out.

Is there anything else I should be looking for or any hints you can give me? I need a car fast since Iím stationed at home now and need it to go back and forth from the base.

badboy2451
06-26-2006, 09:02 PM
a normal lower intake manifold gasket change will run you between 600 and 800 usually...i would have them take a good look at it if there are ANY hints of it leaking what so ever

you may also want to check out the windows and make sure they work and that the regulator is workin properly, make sure fan speeds 1 & 2 also work correctly...there really is a lot to look over but those are very commin issues with the car, im sure others will chime in with problems they have had

Y2KGA
06-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Watch out for the passlock problem! Try starting the car many times and make sure the security light turns off after each start.