Here's a tough trans Q. tejohnson look here!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Here's a tough trans Q. tejohnson look here!!

timka86
06-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Here's what i'm up to: I own a 2000 GA GT, doing a complete tear down of the engine and trans, and i've hit this snag on the trans. There are three plastic ac***ulator pistons in the channel plate assembly, 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4, i believe they're in that order from tp to bottom, the top is the 1-2 ac***ulator, as specified in this book i got, it has a small assist spring as it's called under the piston, and them a larger one over the piston. All three have large springs over the piston, (but in this book only the 1-2 has the small assist spring under it).

The problem is that i have an assist spring under the 2-3 (the middle one) as well. Do i or do i not need it?

The reason i ask is that i've come accross trans shop, a reliable guy, that say a lot of the trans problems are sometimes caused by factory defects. I haven't asked him about this yet.

the main reason for the trans rebuild is that i have the acceleration then pause, repeating, kinda like slippage in second gear. all the friction disks are fine, i'm putting in new solenoids just because it's the next least expensive way to rule out the problem. i checked the resistences and they were in spec accept one, which was off by one ohm, TCC (torque converter clutch).

So for those of you that have reuiblt a 4t45e, please advise. the book that i'm using is for a 4t40e, but that's cuz the two are the same trans ( i don't see any differences, i think just the gear ratios)

pictures are from the book.
I have the "A" spring and then i also have a spring in the "B" position, book doesn't say a word, or even picture a spring there.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f363/timka86/CIMG4693a.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f363/timka86/CIMG4695.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f363/timka86/CIMG4694.jpg

another picture to clarify some more: the blue spring is the 1-2, the springs you see are the ac***ulator springs, the assist spring are under those, not shows in this picture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crEz8i6oVpI

00GT1
06-27-2006, 05:41 AM
wow.... you just went totally over my head there, i think you may have to ask a professional about this one

timka86
06-27-2006, 06:15 PM
talked to the trans guy and got an update. he said that they add or "improve the designs on a yearl basis, so if it came with an extra spring, i should keep it there, BUT he did tell me that he's got two cars sitting in his shop right now because the plastic pistons that these springs push on are cracked.

What happens is under the pressure and heat, the plastic doesn't hold up, and the ac***ulator pistons crack, and leak.

There is aftermarker, billet aluminum available, i ordered them from a shop close to me for 25 dollars each. and there's three total. They're called the Sonnax updates for those off you that are interested.

lvemy3100
06-27-2006, 07:12 PM
sounds similar to what todd has done to his trans already....

tim- what shop are you having build your trans for you?

timka86
06-27-2006, 11:18 PM
tim- what shop are you having build your trans for you?

Home shop? My garage shop? How about my garage?

yep doing it at home in my own garage. Yes i know there are special tools required, but my dad works in a machine shop so we made a bunch of different tools to install seals and etc. It's not that hard.

Given that having the right tools it would have been easier and most likely faster, but rarely do i ever take anything to a shop. Only thing i did at shop for this rebuild is take the pistons from the engine to get wrist pins pressed out and in, cuz i didn't want to risk damaging the new pistons and connecting rods. I'll post pics when i'm done.

lvemy3100
06-27-2006, 11:46 PM
very nice!

I dont blame you for doing it yourself.... aside from saving money there arent too many trust worthy places as far as transmissions and engines are concerned... and the ones that are even worth going to usually cost BIG $$$ (but are worth it)

where did you source your parts for the build(s) if you dont mind me asking