99 to 01 quad four swap [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 to 01 quad four swap

spatulahunter
06-29-2006, 01:46 PM
My girlfriend drives a 99 alero and her motor died a couple weeks ago so i being the wonderful boyfriend (idiot) that i am decided to put a new motor in it for her. I have the old motor out of the car and the new motor is sitting in my garage. The new motor is a quad four out of an 01 alero, the junkyard guys/mechanics at the place i got it said the only thing i will have to switch over is the intake manifold since it is different. Does anyone know if there is anything else that i have to switch over or is everything else gonna bolt right up into place and work correctly? Any iput is greatly appreciated.

Rich
06-30-2006, 02:04 AM
this site has more info for the 3400 V6 than the 2.4. unless a quad4 expert jumps in check out www.quad4forums.com or www.j-body.org for a bit more information. i THINK some of the electronics need to be switched out though im not too sure, but it might help you in your search.

SikMindz
06-30-2006, 02:09 AM
spyhunter>spatulahunter

LoL

SpyhunteR
06-30-2006, 02:11 AM
You have EGR probably... OKAY!!!!!! Here's what you do

First you need to swap out the intake manifold and exhaust manifold from the old motor to the new motor, as well as swapping the EGR tube sensor, etc over to the new motor. You can't miss it the EGR connects to the bottom of the intake manifold and connects to the head.

Second you have to check if your knock sensor changed from one wire to a two wire unit. The knock sensor is a lil sensor located ON THE BLOCK near the exhaust manifold. Any Chilton manual or GM shop manual should show you the exact location.

The starters might be differently sized, however you shouldn't have to worry about that at all.

Other than that everything wires up and hooks up just the same..

If by chance the 99 you have does NOT have an EGR valve, than completely ignore what I said above, and go to town in just installing the motor.

congrats you went from a 9.5:1 motor to a 9.7:1 compression motor... :)

spatulahunter
06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
thanks, the knock sensors are the same. Im gonna have to check on the egr. The intake definitely looks a little different and the only difference i see between the exhaust manifolds is the studs on the 01 motor are a little bigger but im gonna switch em just for the hell of it. Is the 01 quad four any more reliable than the 99? The motor she had was kinda junky, it spun a rod bearing and destroyed the crankshaft. Im trying to decided whether she should keep the car when im done or sell it and get something a little more reliable than the quad is.

Y2KGA
06-30-2006, 12:28 PM
the 01 quad four any more reliable than the 99? The motor she had was kinda junky, it spun a rod bearing and destroyed the crankshaft. Im trying to decided whether she should keep the car when im done or sell it and get something a little more reliable than the quad is.

The twin cam is supposed to be a reliable motor. How many miles were on the engine when it died? Was it maintained properly?

spatulahunter
06-30-2006, 02:58 PM
The twin cam is supposed to be a reliable motor. How many miles were on the engine when it died? Was it maintained properly?

100,000 on the clock, it had all its regular maintenance since she got it with 50,000 on it because ive taken care of it for her. She drives the car like a granny so i know it wasnt abused.
I live in a town where 95% of the city either works for, has worked for or has family that has at one point worked for gm and every single mechanic i talk to including the ones at the stealerships hate that motor. Ive never heard anything good about it. It took us forever to find a decent one at a junkyard cause all of them that i checked out had very poor compression or burned up grounded out ignitions and other problems.

GM has made many great motors but the quad four is definitely not one of them.

spatulahunter
06-30-2006, 03:00 PM
If by chance the 99 you have does NOT have an EGR valve, than completely ignore what I said above, and go to town in just installing the motor.

congrats you went from a 9.5:1 motor to a 9.7:1 compression motor... :)

I was wrong, it doesnt have egr so im gonna leave the intake alone.

What does that .2 compression jump add like 3hp hehe?

polo77
06-30-2006, 03:59 PM
the quad 4 i had in my old 94 gran am had 200,000 miles on the original motor.

spatulahunter
06-30-2006, 11:58 PM
the quad 4 i had in my old 94 gran am had 200,000 miles on the original motor.

I had a 95 year old grandma that smoked.