Keeping it stock [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it stock

devilzfan300
06-29-2006, 11:22 PM
I recently decided that I would rather leave my GA stock - for the most part. I dont want to buy a CAI or exhaust, but I still want a little more power. Would these upgrades give me a little more power:

K&N drop in air filter
Gatorback belt
High amp alternator
Red top optima
NGK plugs

Basically the reason I dont want major upgrades for my car is because I personally dont feel the GA was meant for speed and that aggressive exhaust sound, and I want to keep the car classy incase I need to keep a professional image.

So, what other upgrades can I make?

iceman
06-30-2006, 12:20 AM

notsoaveragej0e
06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
You say you dont want to mod, but then have a list of mods and want suggestion for others?

Anywho, the aforementioned mods wont do anything for power, might get you a smoother idle and ~1mpg, but that is about it. My suggestion is either mod it or leave it alone totally, dont be John Kerry about it.

SpyhunteR
06-30-2006, 01:18 AM
if you want to mod it, you don't want to mod it. You want it quiet, and professional.

Screw it, go all out, and keep it looking stock as GM gave it to you.
Pull the motor. Port match everything, blueprint balance the motor, have the engine builder coat everything that moves with a low frictioncoating. Up the compression, port/polish the head, get a cam, larger throttle body, have those exhaust manifolds opened up.

Get a DHP or HPTuners PCM software. Tune it nice with a wideband on a dyno.

Wow looks OEM, seems OEM, and it has a bit of grunt underneath that mild mannered visual TOO!

rocketfast123
06-30-2006, 01:46 AM
take out the back seat and everything in the trunk

Rich
06-30-2006, 01:56 AM
My suggestion is either mod it or leave it alone totally, dont be John Kerry about it.

lol :applause:

SpyhunteR
06-30-2006, 02:05 AM
I recently decided that I would rather leave my GA stock - for the most part. I dont want to buy a CAI or exhaust, but I still want a little more power. Would these upgrades give me a little more power:

K&N drop in air filter
Gatorback belt
High amp alternator
Red top optima
NGK plugs

Basically the reason I dont want major upgrades for my car is because I personally dont feel the GA was meant for speed and that aggressive exhaust sound, and I want to keep the car classy incase I need to keep a professional image.

Putting an exhaust on a car especially one like Borla isn't going to make the car stand out or absolutely buck wild cheap 80's 4cyl car with a pepboys muffler loud. A proper exhaust and header combo, will give the car a nice aggressive tone coupled with a resonator still keeping things reasonable for a "classy" car such as the mass produced and rental fleeted grand am

devilzfan300
06-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Will a DHP PCM be a waste if the only semi-real mod I did was put a drop in K&N filter in?

Roush GT
06-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Yes.

coupe
06-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Dude sounds to me like you just want a stock ride.

Mendoza
06-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Go buy some ocatane booster and call it a day. lol

coupe
06-30-2006, 08:27 AM
The more i think about this thread the more it upsets me.

littleblackbug
06-30-2006, 02:24 PM
me too Coupe... :(

if you really want performance then mod it, otherwise don't waste your time with small stuff that won't really do anything

ViperGTSR
06-30-2006, 02:29 PM
i dont know what you guys are talkin about, this thread delivers.

blake
06-30-2006, 02:43 PM
lol, this is the best thread in a while

Ajaxus
06-30-2006, 02:47 PM
The more i think about this thread the more it upsets me.

coupe i was upset before i even read the thread. i saw the title and the section it was in and did one of these ";crap "

tejohnson
06-30-2006, 03:54 PM
and I want to keep the car classy incase I need to keep a professional image.

No offense, but ROFL!

What do you mean by "classy" & "professional"?

Ajaxus
06-30-2006, 03:58 PM
if you want a classy and professional car, you're better off setting this one on fire and collecting the insurance to put towards a bmw or mercedes.

devilzfan300
06-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Aight guys, i can take the joke and I am glad I could bring some laughs to the forum, but I think I need to clear up some stuff before I become the laughing joke of the forums (too late..?)

Classy and professional - Bad choice of words by me. I meant to say "not that ricer grumble"

Basically, I was looking for small performance upgrades that would not make my car sound agressive. Thats all.

Ideas:
Drop in K&N?
Bigger TB?
DHP PCM?

Ajaxus
06-30-2006, 04:08 PM
well it might be a tad too late but you can try to rescue yourself.

visit pfyc.com and check out their performance stuff. anything that doesn't drastically change the airflow (cai, wai or exhaust) won't really change the sound that much. you can get exhaust setups that give you better performance and are still quite quiet as well, it really comes down to the muffler choice and if you put a resonator in or not.

notsoaveragej0e
06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
You can do a lot of things to any car, and put a lot of time and money into it and it can be far from "ricey" as you said. There are plenty of members on this board and others that have put $1000's into their rides and they are the ones that are remembered as being clean and classic. As far as the DHP, I am under the impression that that should be the last thing added after CAI/WAI,headers, exhaust, TB, etc. Those who have it can add their .02, as I just have.

tejohnson
06-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I feel just about anything will do. Do avoid being "stereotyped" with the big wing guys, stay away from the fart pipes, etc ;) The other 50% is how you act when you drive on the streets (IMO).

I had to laugh, cause when I read that, you came across as:

"I don't want to be unclassy and unprofessional like some of you loosers..." ;)

devilzfan300
06-30-2006, 05:24 PM

Ouch...I definately didnt mean it like that....

wow i feel bad

Ajaxus
06-30-2006, 05:28 PM
I feel just about anything will do. Do avoid being "stereotyped" with the big wing guys, stay away from the fart pipes, etc ;) The other 50% is how you act when you drive on the streets (IMO).

I had to laugh, cause when I read that, you came across as:

speaking of losers, learn to spell. :amraam:

j/k lol

ViperGTSR
06-30-2006, 05:31 PM
i dont know, some of us are pretty loose...

Ajaxus
06-30-2006, 05:37 PM
i dont know, some of us are pretty loose...

i guess that is true...lol

tejohnson
06-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Whoops. My unprofessional side coming out...

GAGTS03
06-30-2006, 05:46 PM
A Grand Am will never be classy and "Professional" leave it at that.

ViperGTSR
06-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Whoops. My unprofessional side coming out...
thats what happens when you drive a LOUD ASS TURBO grand am i guess?

Ajaxus
06-30-2006, 05:58 PM
kills braincells

Mike Jung
06-30-2006, 06:36 PM
:wtf Don't buy "Octane Boosters".

It is cheaper & better to fill up with premuim fuel.

At least then, you won't get any knock/pulling timing from the engine heat in the summer.

Not a power adder, but better/stickier rubber (tires) are always better.

Run synthetic 0W-20 motor oil ;) lol
Nice low friction Hydrid motor oil :D
(Kidding, DON'T anyone go doing that!)

Ajaxus
06-30-2006, 06:51 PM
mike, i almost got pissed that you had a serious post in this thread...then you edited. good man.

drumking1721
06-30-2006, 10:30 PM
:applause:

AaronGTR
07-02-2006, 01:46 PM

K&N drop in air filter
Gatorback belt
High amp alternator
Red top optima
NGK plugs

Um...CAI and exhaust are not major upgrades. What planet are you living on? Sounds like you need to sell your car and buy a volvo.

devilzfan300
07-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Um...CAI and exhaust are not major upgrades. What planet are you living on? Sounds like you need to sell your car and buy a volvo.

I know they arent huge upgrades, but I dont want the agressive tone.

ViperGTSR
07-02-2006, 03:12 PM
why didnt you get the ho-hum malibu?

devilzfan300
07-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Because I got my '99 Grand am SE 3.4 with 66k miles on it for $2700 from a friend of a friend. How could I pass up a deal like that?

Anway, I have never seen a grand am with an exhaust system or anything, and I think it would be wierd to hear that come from a ga. just my opinion though.

Mendoza
07-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Just put your SE on a bottle if you don't want it to sound agressive.

KeyserSosa2000
07-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Just put your SE on a bottle if you don't want it to sound agressive.

Kdawg207
07-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I say leave it stock - maybe just a few appearance things - tint etc.... to make it look nicer than stock

In the GA - modding half way is a waste of time really - all in all you wont get much out of just a few mods - only thing you will get is an empty wallet

so all in - or nothing

oh - and welcome - another nj ga - nice to see