crappy brakes? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : crappy brakes?

j_yewchin
07-01-2006, 11:59 PM
anyone go thru brakes in a matter of 32000 kms or less? as far as i know they are the budget ac delco ones, i didn't put them on but...
i dont go to the track or anything, but sometimes i have to make some pretty harsh stops.
but this is pathetic, it'll be the cars 3rd set of brakes and it hasn't hit 100000kms yet...
my moms buick regal had 140,000 on it, all she did was tires, i did a thermostat and NOTHING else.
but yeah, anyone else have this problem? also i see an odd groove on the inner pad... pic attached.
i was also lucky enough to find out my caliper boot is ripped somehow. geez eh? ;crap

freeze12
07-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Chalk it up to a cheap undersized GM braking system.I have a "01 Alero" and had the same problem as You with the pads & rotors. I bought the lifetime NAPA rotors & EBC GreenStuff pads (Ebay) and so far the braking is greatly improved.Make sure You lube the caliper pins & nothing else. I also had to use Kluberlube on the calipers due to the low speed brake groan & reduced braking. the lube works great!Good luck!!

j_yewchin
07-02-2006, 02:14 PM
hey thx for the reply, how much were your rotors?
i'll just double the cost and thats what it should cost me up here :duh:

freeze12
07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
The rotors were around $50.00 each.

lone_wolf025
07-02-2006, 08:36 PM
I have had nothing but headaches with any GM calipers. It seems that the slides are designed to stick and cause premature brake wear. Anytime I work on one of those I take apart anything I can without opening up the lines and wire brush everything down before lubing the metal contact points with anti-seize and metal to rubber contact points with silicon lube. Works pretty well if I do say so myself.

j_yewchin
07-03-2006, 12:34 AM
good plan. i smeared silicone over almost everything when i did my brake job today. its like gm doesn't care what parts are used, as long as they dont have to replace too many under warranty, eh?

Ajaxus
07-03-2006, 12:55 AM
its like that with virtually any company's product anywhere. the lowest costing parts that will make it through warranty will push their profits up incredibly high. ever notice how computers and cell phones even tend to crash the moment their warranty ends?

primalfl
07-03-2006, 10:45 AM
I've had the same probs with my 03 GA. I didn't notice that odd groove on the inner pad but the inner pad was worn down more than twice as fast as the outer pad. It seems that the inner pad is sticking and rubbing against the rotor. I've gone through three sets of rotors and pads in 85000km now. About to go on my fourth. This time I'm thinking of changing the calipers at the same time.

j_yewchin
07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
wow thats worse than mine.. sounds like new calipers couldn't hurt...
hey Ajaxus, i hear you on the cell phones thing, no matter how much you spend you can't seem to use one more than a year! cars are definately the same way, some worse than others :(

Konos
07-03-2006, 06:46 PM
My girlfriend has an '03 GAGT and she had to get her fronts done at 40,000kms. Completely pathetic. Not to bang on GM but I mean really... And they can't figure out why people switch to imports? I've got almost 80,000kms on my Spec V and I haven't changed them yet. Although I'm probably due.

Bonnor
07-03-2006, 09:47 PM
holy...$50 for rotors? mine only costed me $12 a rotor

j_yewchin
07-03-2006, 09:59 PM
12??? and a fellow canadian?... how/where?

Bonnor
07-04-2006, 12:26 AM
my bro works for VW and can get me parts for my GA when i need them..so he got me a discount...they are only OEM replacement rotors but are still good enough

slowbird
07-04-2006, 08:59 AM
My rotors warped just under 40,000kms. I asked the dealer to atleast machine them for me as a goodwill gesture since the brakes are a known problem with N-bodies.

The service guy told me that 1 panic stop can warp the brakes and it's just how it goes. He price me almost $300 to replace the front brakes parts not included.

I gave him the finger and bought my Roto-tec rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads and installed them myself.

I also had the driverside front caliper seal blow on me under warranty. unbelievable.

primalfl
07-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Shame there's no class action lawsuit against GM for their brakes

brsexton
07-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes the brakes on these cars are JUNK...I mean when this braking system was invented and installed on the 1st 1997 Chevy Malibu, they had issues right from the start. They have had YEARS to correct it, but NOPE they contiuned to put the same exact braking system on the 97-05 N-body cars. Never changed a thing. My 2003 Alero had 3 sets of brakes and rotors before 33k. Being sick of the issues, I purchased a set of NAPA lifetime rotors and Akebono ProAct ceramic pads and have had NO problems since, and I now have 53k. I have noticed a bit of wear in the pads, and it is the inner pad that is starting to wear. I asked a technician and again, that is the NORM for the crappy system on these cars. It would abnormal for these cars to wear the inner and outter at the same rate. That is why the squeal clip is on the inner pad..

ancona46
07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
my pads cracked and rotors warped at 7k then rotors warped again at 12k then again at like 20k now got r1 concepts and all is fine

j_yewchin
07-06-2006, 12:31 AM
the caliper seal, that must be what cracked open on mine (see crappy picture).
that sucks guys, i guess i dont feel so bad now.

and ancona, WOW what kind of driving do you do? then again i dont know what traffic is like in south jersey either.

ONE panic stop is pathetic, brakes by ANYone should be able to handle that. i know, australian brakes, but they should be able to be cheap chinese ones and stand up decent.

i dont feel so bad though because i know someone who has about 700 dollar a month payments on a nissan titan... his rotors warped twice before 20,000 kms i think..
brutal, huh?

ancona46
07-06-2006, 02:06 PM
i do 95% highway i barely use the brakes

j_yewchin
07-06-2006, 02:11 PM
wow just bad luck eh? sorry to hear that
good lookin car by the way!!

ancona46
07-06-2006, 02:17 PM
thanks

primalfl
07-07-2006, 10:14 AM
i do 95% highway i barely use the brakes

My mileage is probably about 75% hwy. All my family is about 500km away in two separate directions and I visit many times a year. I find my brakes last much longer if I do less hwy driving. Doesn't make much sense, now does it?

ancona46
07-07-2006, 10:22 AM
sure dont maybe thats why mine sucked so bad,its like night and day with the aftermarket rotors ive had em about 2 months with no prob's