Rattle from passenger side rear [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rattle from passenger side rear

Lifer
07-02-2006, 03:34 PM
I have a '99 Grand Am SE 4dr - 79,000 miles. It's been a great car until a rattle started about 1 month ago. I talked with a local mechanic who though the struts needed to be replaced. So, I found here, (thank-you to whomever posted them, they were right on) the directions to replace the struts. After replacing all four the noise continues. I have checked the strut install, had the car thrust aligned, Lubed all the rear bushings I could find, grabbed the right (passenger side) rear tire and shook left and right, as well a top and bottom (no problems noted) - The exhaust is OK, not hitting, and I checked everything I could see underneath for looseness. The rattle happens only when you hit a real good bump on the passenger side of the car or stop short. It sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side strut. I did not replace the spring or the top mount (if that what’s it called?). Any ideas? I'm stumped and frustrated!!

Mike Jung
07-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Maybe the trunk air vent (?)

Lifer
07-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Good idea, but I checked there as well.

nascarnate326
07-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Does the speaker in the door need to be tightened up? Anything in teh Glove box? Does the window move? Seat bolted correctly?

Lifer
07-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Ok, I finally figured it out - Apparently the bushing in the strut mount had worked itself loose. Allowing it to move when subjected to a hard bump. I found this out when I removed the strut again and closely inspected the mount. It looked ok, but if you pushed the bushing toward the strut it would move about 1 inch. So I have replaced the strut mount and alls well. Thank-you all for replying.