Coolant Leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

polo77
07-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I hope this has not been discussed, if so im sorry. I did some searching and i couldnt come up with anything. I believe it is the water pump but not 100% positive.

The other day I was checking my oil and I happened to look down, and I happened to see some liquid on the belt. I looked all over from the top of the engine and couldn't see anything. I crawled under the car and there was some coolant on the frame rail. It wasnt pouring out or anything. It was just driping. I felt around the water pump but there was nothing. When i searched someone said if there was coolant on the belt then it was the water pump. I figured I would ask. Anything would be great. Thanks

badboy2451
07-02-2006, 05:16 PM
well i had a water pump go out on me and it did not just drip...it was really commin out and hittin the belt and you could see the markes on the underhood pad and a nice little stream commin from under the car

my best guess...its startin to go bad so keep an eye on it and see if you notice more coolant comming out

polo77
07-02-2006, 05:50 PM
alright will do. thanks a bunch. i also thought it could be the gasket behind the pump?

badboy2451
07-02-2006, 07:24 PM
thats also a possibility, i would go get a new water pump and keep it with you while you check the gasket and if the gasket is the only problem then replace it, and if its not the problem then you have the new pump to put on

(fyi, the new pump should come with a new gasket also, jsut so u know)

polo77
07-02-2006, 10:00 PM
alright will do. thanks alot for the help.

digitalballz
07-03-2006, 08:05 AM
dont waste your time "checking" the gasket. If you think the water pump is your culprit just change it. Make sure you get the old gasket completly off or you will just have another leak.

2000GT
07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
damn I think i have the same problem anyone know about how much it would cost to replace the pump parts and labor. I am just trying to get an average in price.

digitalballz
07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
at a local garage maybe around $150-$200. Im just guessing off the top of my head so dont hold me to it.