Car @ 70k and in need of tune up? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car @ 70k and in need of tune up?

resevil83
07-08-2006, 09:14 PM
My car is about to hit 70k miles and I was wondering what I should do as far as maintenance goes. Really I was going to do a transmission flush, however when I searched for what I was to do at this mileage I read that it could be dangerous to flush at 70k. Should I just do a pan drain and filter change? My friend told me that was the way to go. Will my dealer do that? I also was wondering what else I should do? I am planning on changing the serpentine belt with a gatorback belt from autozone. Let me know what you think.

digitalballz
07-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Drop the tranny pan to change the filter, then flush the whole system. Whoever says its bad to change the fluid after a certain point is an idiot. If your car isnt running ruff then you dont "need" a tune up, but it never hurts to do these things early. Change the fuel filter, air filter, serp belt, flush the radiator, check the radiator hoses. Im sure im forgetting something, but you get the idea.

GTKnightRider
07-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Manufacture specs. says not to flush and change your filter till about 100k miles (unless you drive it hard) it's not needed. but do the trans drain and new fluid at 50k. Also don't forget the plugs and wires and perhaps a new thermostat they don't last forever.

digitalballz
07-09-2006, 06:19 PM
may not be required, but I would reccomend changing the trans filter every 30-40k. WOW how did I forget to mention plugs, and wires??? WTF!

GTKnightRider
07-10-2006, 01:41 PM
I can't remember half the birthdays of the people I know so don't feel all that bad...

digitalballz
07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
right!!!

Brken123
07-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Just did a tuneup on mine, has 82k on it. Believe it or not, it doesn't run any different (makes me wonder if the tuneup was worth it or if I should have waited longer). Just throwing this out there incase you're hoping the car might get some pep back. It won't. May want to pull the wheels and check the brakes, shocks, cv joints, etc too. Look around the engine bay for leaks, especially under the car. Basically, treat it as if you were buying it used (assuming you'd buy a used car of course). Anything you'd look for on a used car, check for on yours.