High Idle and overheating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : High Idle and overheating

sdogg3kgt
07-10-2006, 06:38 PM
My girlfriend has a 2000 Grand Am SE1 with the 4 cylinder. The car has about 135k miles, and for the most part runs perfect.

However, there are 2 major issues the car has had since she got it, that still need fixing.

1.)
Upon starting the car, it will idle around 2,500RPM and slowly go down to about 1,200RPM after about 10 mins. of driving. The car never idles at the usual 750RPM or so (even when fully warmed up in the summer). Along the same lines, when cruising at any speed, and lifting of the gas, the car never goes to idle, but stays at the same RPM, so the car speeds up instead of slowing down.

2.)
When driving in traffic, the car will start overheating. The coolant is at the correct level, and it is the correct coolant.

Any ideas would be appreciated because I do not have time to tear it apart as of right now. I have a background racing and working on Subarus and Nissans, but I am not very familiar with the GM line of engines.

Thanks

ViperGTSR
07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
any CEL's? My grandmas honda started idling weird, threw a bunch of codes, IAC, IAT, and MAP

impreza FTW