Power outlets and cigarette lighters [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power outlets and cigarette lighters

devilzfan300
07-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Is the cigarette lighter the only power outlet in the grand am? I have a 99 SE 3.4L.

The reason being is that my cigarette lighter in the dash is not working, so until I fix the problem, I want to be able to play my ipod in my car, and I THOUGHT that there was another outlet in the car somewhere...

2002GT
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
nope :(

tenspeed
07-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Open the fuse box in the engine compartment. It's behind the air box. You need a 20 amp fuse.

badboy2451
07-11-2006, 08:42 PM
yea, garuntee you just blew the fuse...happens too oftens

edit: if that doesn't work, then it mostly has come disconnected behind the radio bezel, pull it off and make sure its connected

digitalballz
07-11-2006, 08:56 PM
make sure there is no loose change in there. happens all the time. you could also have a bad lighter causing the fuse to blow

devilzfan300
07-11-2006, 09:30 PM
The fuze is not blown. I replaced that and it still doesnt work.

How would I remove the radio and check it the wire is still connected? I am guessing that is the problem.

Panacea
07-11-2006, 09:33 PM
It's FUSE not "fuze."

There's the trim piece that goes around the stereo. There's a black circular piece where you put your key in the ignition (says on, off, acc, whatever). Pull that little ring out, then take a flat head screwdriver and put it in between the dash and that trim piece. Pry until you get to start coming off, then pull with your hands the rest of the way.

Sorry for the bad instructions, but I'm sure if you search you can find instructions on how to remove it.

00GT1
07-12-2006, 08:32 PM
i got sick of one outlet so i ran a quad outlet through the firewall to the battery. Switch it, throw a fuse on and now i am able to run 6 outlets which is nice. XM, Radar, GPS, Ionizer, and two extras. I have the quad run right behind the center console so that it's not visible.. no messy wires everywhere (radar/GPS). For use in the cabin, i drilled a seperate switched tri-outlet to the center console right next to the drivers seat (ionizer/xm). As for the stock cig outlet.. it'll be shaved when i get around to replacing the trim, but for now, i just pulled the outlet out and cut the wires.. no fuse, no wires, no problem. Hope that helped:)

slickjoe
07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Easier way to take the black piece off is to reach under the little compartment under the air controls (a/c switches etc.)and in the back of the compartment, move u'r hand to the top and u'll feel a little gap, pull the piece closest to you towards you and the black piece will come off.