Diagnostic Computer Not Responding [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostic Computer Not Responding

kmcooke
07-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Alright...I just had my 2001 GAGT checked out by the mechanic my family has been using years. Recently my car has been having acceleration issues and the service engine light comes on, so I dropped it off for a diagnostic check. According to my mechanic, the flipping computer that logs service engine problems doesn't log anything, so my mechanic says that my car needs a new computer of some sorts (can't remember exact name) before he can determine the exact cause of the problem. Will this new "computer" break my bank account or is pretty reasonably priced? Does anyone know the name of this "computer" also?

Malaclypse
07-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Get a real diagnostic performed by someone a little more knowledgable in engine controls. Most likely the mechanics scan tool isn't communicating with your vehicle because of some stupid glitch.

I see it all the time. Cars and trucks get towed in because some mechanic at a small shop thought replacing a computer would fix all his problems. Usually they end up right back where they started.... except they have a couple hundred dollars more to charge the customer.

Panacea
07-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah, take it to a DEALER!!! I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let a shade tree mechanic touch my car. The only time I'd go away from the dealer is if I were to get an exhaust, or perhaps some performace stuff done, but then I'd go to a shop that specializes in that.

digitalballz
07-11-2006, 10:02 PM
man you people are crazy. I dont know who you go to for a mechanic, but around where I work everyone know there shi* except the brazilians around the corner. The only time we send a car to the dealer is if we dont have the proper software for a certain car. Another reason I wouldnt go to the dealer is price. We charge $65 per hour. The cheapest dealer price around us is $99 for the first 3 hours then it goes up every 2 hours after that. One of our customers had a quote from saturn on a brake job from the dealer. job was front pads, and rotors, rear shoes, and wheel cylinders. anyone guess what the dealer quote was........ over 2grand. we ended up doing the job for like 500 bucks. I forget exactly, but you get the idea!!! sorry for the book!

Panacea
07-11-2006, 10:30 PM
My GM dealer only charged like $50-75/hr.

digitalballz
07-12-2006, 10:43 AM
holy crap thats cheap. the local chevy dealer around here starts at $110 hr and then pyramids(sp) up.

Slim
07-12-2006, 11:30 AM
My GM dealer only charged like $50-75/hr.

Ditto... Mine was $65/hr.

cavingman
07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
$85 in my area is the norm

This happened all the time when I was a tech at the saturn dealer. Take it to the dealer and have them check it with a tech 2 scanner. Instead of what he's using.

Chances are they are using snap-on's scan tool, which doesnt see GM freeze frame data. When you get an SES light, 99% of the time the computer logs the specific operating conditions from when the light came on so the technician can see what was happening.

Go to the dealer, tell them the light has been coming on and you've been having acceleration problems. That's all the info they should need.

One of our customers had a quote from saturn on a brake job from the dealer. job was front pads, and rotors, rear shoes, and wheel cylinders. anyone guess what the dealer quote was........ over 2grand. we ended up doing the job for like 500 bucks. I forget exactly, but you get the idea!!! sorry for the book!

2 grand is out of control, they probobly werent telling you something.

digitalballz
07-12-2006, 01:06 PM
nope we seen the written quote!

rockfan0005
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Hell I would easily take it to the dealer if it were 50-75 an hour. My local dealer charges $119 per hour, only time I'll take it to the dealer is on a recall or if it's absolutely needed.

coupe
07-12-2006, 01:21 PM
2 grand for a brake job!?!?!?!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/howgayisthat.jpg

Admin edit: Remember lots of us are at work...

CoopGT
07-12-2006, 04:24 PM
2000 ****** Even 500 is out of control . Coupe I thought the pic would be worse. LOL

coupe
07-13-2006, 06:01 AM
My bad Slim