Install: Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Install: Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge?

KeyserSosa2000
07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Just like the title says. I've been on the site for a little while and I just bought a mechanical oil pressure gague. I've searched through pfyc.com and read plenty of pages in our archives trying to find a clear explination of how to install this gauge.

There are probably many of you who don't have the mechanical gauge but know your way around grand ams and I was wondering if you could help me out with this.

I read about where the oil pressure sensor is and such but here is my problem. I have the gauge and on the back there is a brass fitting with a rubber/plastic hose about 8inches long. The plastic hose was cut at the opposite end of the gauge with pliers when it was uninstalled from the previous owners car. What do I do with this severed plastic hose? How do I connect the hose to the block once it is fixed? Can the hose even be fixed?

I can get a picture of what I received from the previous owner if a few days if need be.

Here are the links I have already found:
http://www.grandamgt.com/oilpressure-pfyc.html
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/89778/

PS
Props to Molson on helping me this far.:thumbs:

2000GA
07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Since you say its mechanical you will have to run that line from the gauge in the cabin to the engine. This means there is the potential for a leak and there could be oil inside your car. If you had an electrical one you could just screw it in and then run the wires to your gauge in the car and not an oil line. I'd recommend selling the mechanical one and getting an electrical gauge.

lone_wolf025
07-12-2006, 03:29 PM
^ I concur with that assesment. While it might be cool to put the mechanical gauge to good use you're asking for trouble trying to route the oil lines.

By going digital however you eliminate any potential problems and add the bonus of having the option of making a clear and visible display.

KeyserSosa2000
07-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Both of you have a point and I know the risks involved with oil leaks and the potential for disaster; that being said, I am set on using my mechanical gauge and this is why I have created the thread.

CoopGT
07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
You need to get a new plastic hose , fitting and adapter from the Manufacturer of the Gauge. The fitting that goes to the engine goes between the oil preasure sensor & where ever it was connected on the engine. ( Use teflon tape on the male threads ) This is going from memory without looking at pictures.

tenspeed
07-12-2006, 04:20 PM
IIRC, the mechanical gauge uses a tiny poly tubing. You should be able to get some sort of install kit at a speed shop or small town parts store. It will have about ten feet of the tubing and the fittings for the end. The old tube is only good for making sure you get the right size.

You will also need a T so you can have both the gauge and the idiot light.

2000GA
07-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Different car but the style of fitting you need to run the gauge line. From this link

[http://chevyhiperformance.com/howto/p167596_image_large.jpg

KeyserSosa2000
07-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Different car but the style of fitting you need to run the gauge line. From this link

[http://chevyhiperformance.com/howto/p167596_image_large.jpg

Cheers.

That location is the same port that the original sensor was threaded into...correct? On our cars it is located just to the right of the Oil Filter.

B0000rt
07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
There's no stock Oil Pressure guage on your dash?

myneedforspeed
07-12-2006, 09:21 PM
nope...we didn't get oil pressure guages...

Irate
07-13-2006, 09:16 AM
The lines are a bitch to run... I had to go out and buy new fittings/lines because it kept crimping or tearing. Once installed (for over a year now) I have had zero problems or leaks and it works great.

B0000rt
07-13-2006, 09:43 AM
nope...we didn't get oil pressure guages...
Ah that sucks, what do you guys get from the factory then?

I have Water, Oil, Tach, Speedo, Fuel and Voltage on the '94.

Irate
07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
water tach speedo fuel which is why I put in an oil and volt

slowbird
07-13-2006, 03:14 PM
I installed an oil pressure gauge in my old Cutlass and I ditched the plastic tubing and got a brass line.

It worked quite well.

KeyserSosa2000
07-13-2006, 05:18 PM
water tach speedo fuel which is why I put in an oil and volt

I installed an oil pressure gauge in my old Cutlass and I ditched the plastic tubing and got a brass line.

It worked quite well.

Yep, my sentiment exactly. Volt meter, Oil Pressure and a two pod gauge pod. I'm looking forward to seeing it hopefully done next week.

It's kinda funny that a 1994 had a better cluster than our 'more moddern' cars. :heh:

AaronGTR
07-13-2006, 06:27 PM
The factory gauges are no where close to accurate though and most of them have tiny scale and few or no numbers so it's not like you can derive any accurate information from a factory oil pressure gauge. About all it tells you is if you have any oil left or not. :rolleyes: Better off getting an aftermarket gauge anyway. I'd still go with electric over the hassle of running fluid lines. Only mech gauge I have is boost/vac.

KeyserSosa2000
07-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Only mech gauge I have is boost/vac.

tisk tisk lol

Molson
07-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Only thing I don't like about my mech gauge is that its noisy, especially when its COLD out. :D Tick tick tick tick.

Gold99HO
07-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Yep, my sentiment exactly. Volt meter, Oil Pressure and a two pod gauge pod. I'm looking forward to seeing it hopefully done next week.

It's kinda funny that a 1994 had a better cluster than our 'more moddern' cars. :heh:

because its cheaper to make them the way they are now

KeyserSosa2000
07-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Only thing I don't like about my mech gauge is that its noisy, especially when its COLD out. :D Tick tick tick tick.

lol, great...oh well. I'll just be happy when the thing is in. I'm gonna go with brass tubing and get a "T" so that my idiot light still works too.

AaronGTR
07-14-2006, 05:10 PM
tisk tisk lol

Well I have fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature, and trans fluid temperature also. ;) They're just all electric sending gauges instead of mechanical. I think I'm well covered.

Irate
07-17-2006, 07:20 AM
I remember you telling me about that... Mine is 100% silent :confused:

Molson
07-17-2006, 11:50 AM
I remember you telling me about that... Mine is 100% silent :confused:
really? I wonder if its because I used copper line instead of the plastic that came with it.

Irate
07-17-2006, 12:21 PM
really? I wonder if its because I used copper line instead of the plastic that came with it.
I would rule-out the brass line tapping against something as the engine chugs along

KeyserSosa2000
07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
I doubt that it has much to do with the line either...hopefully it's just your gauge and not a Canadian thing. We'll see shortly though, I'll post pics after I install the pod and tell you guys if mine ticks too.

KeyserSosa2000
07-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh, one more thing. In the instructions from pfyc.com is says

Either way, the port you will adapt to is a 1/4" pipe or NPT female fitting. If you are using an electrical sending unit, most come with 1/8" pipe threads. All the necessary adapters are included with the Autometer gauge kit.

If I get a 'T', I need to get one with all four connections being 1/4" right? 1/4" for the block, 1/4" for the original sensor and 1/4" for the oil line to the gauge.

Molson
07-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I believe so, all mine are the same.