quick question, doing LIM gasket saturday [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : quick question, doing LIM gasket saturday

Firebirdnyc
07-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Okay so i got the rundown and the list of parts i need. One question i have is , is it really important to remove the pushrods to take the gaket out?. Do the pushrods interfere with taking the gasket out?. When it comes to taking pushrods out i worry. Its never as easy as torque to spec, i always think of it as finding valve lash and tightening cylinders 1 4 3 and then rotate and engine and do the rest...( just an example). I just want to make sure i dont over tighten/under tighten and cause valve train wear.

B0000rt
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Okay so i got the rundown and the list of parts i need. One question i have is , is it really important to remove the pushrods to take the gaket out?. Do the pushrods interfere with taking the gasket out?. When it comes to taking pushrods out i worry. Its never as easy as torque to spec, i always think of it as finding valve lash and tightening cylinders 1 4 3 and then rotate and engine and do the rest...( just an example). I just want to make sure i dont over tighten/under tighten and cause valve train wear.

Just finished a LIM change on my 3100.

You'll need the Intake Manifold gasket kit. What _I_ got in the 3100 Felpro PermaDry kit was the LIM and UIM gaskets, a bottle of RTV, the lower EGR gasket, Thermostat gasket and Rocker cover gaskets.

What I needed to buy extra was the upper EGR gasket and TB gasket.

I followed this walkthrough more or less (though the motor mount must be fully taken off on the 3100 to get at the third power steering bolt)
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60868

Good luck

eric99gt
07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
lol...you didn't answer his questions at all. But yes. They do need to be removed. No way around it. And it's as easy as torquing to spec. It's not like the 350's and such were everything must be set.

pwrnxs
07-13-2006, 09:47 AM
You cannot get the gasket out without removing the pushrods.

B0000rt
07-13-2006, 10:17 AM
lol...you didn't answer his questions at all. But yes. They do need to be removed. No way around it. And it's as easy as torquing to spec. It's not like the 350's and such were everything must be set.
LOL I realized I did, me the rambler. (I misread the OP and thought he wanted to know what he needed :D )

I noticed, when taking off the LIM gasket for the 3100, that the exhaust pushrods didn't need to be taken off to remove the stock gasket (the gasket ran ontop of the exhaust rods) But in putting in the new LIM it went under every pushrod.

Just make sure you're torquing properly and you should be fine. 168inch-lbs + 30degrees

Firebirdnyc
07-13-2006, 07:05 PM
okay cool, im forgetting these engines are pretty well advanced so doing a wholve old school valve lash procedure to adjust rocker arms i guess are out of the question. So 168in and 30 degrees.... i got alot of print outs from all data so im pretty much set. Can you believe all data saids B level tech skill needed for this job????

timka86
07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Go to autozone, and rent one of their torque wrenches, nintey dollars, but you get it back when you return it, it's a handy wrench, got a long handle, so it doesn't require as much force to turn. it's called a click-stop, or something like that. You twist the handle to set the torque. NOTE* it only does ft/lb's, (and newton/meters) so you'll have to divide in/lb's by twelve to get ft/lbs.

freakydeaky
07-14-2006, 11:07 AM
i got alot of print outs from all data so im pretty much set. Can you believe all data saids B level tech skill needed for this job????

why don't you scan and post those print outs?... it could really help some of us out in the future

digitalballz
07-14-2006, 01:40 PM
its really not that hard. I did my first one on a chevy venture i believe it was, the minivan. I had it out, and back together in about 4 hours. I think alldata pays about 7 hours for the job.

Firebirdnyc
07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
ah i went out and bought one :) so now i have just about every torque wrench out there...inches, 10-75 ft lbs and 50-250 ft lbs . Maybe i could do that, im going to see if i scan it tomorrow . im going to see if i scan this specific one about the LIM installation procedure and torque spec that has been revised in 2003. It actually saids to tighen the diagnal bolts 18 ft lbs and the vertical ones to 115in lbs.

Firebirdnyc
07-14-2006, 05:33 PM
okay so i got the article scanned but i have no where to upload it , anyone want to upload it for me?.

freakydeaky
07-15-2006, 07:55 AM
okay so i got the article scanned but i have no where to upload it , anyone want to upload it for me?.

what kind of file?.... pm sent

Firebirdnyc
07-16-2006, 07:19 PM
sent

freakydeaky
07-17-2006, 08:29 AM
thanks