oil around lower spark plug threads [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : oil around lower spark plug threads

archillasvante
07-14-2006, 10:27 AM
when i changed my spark plugs last, i noticed that two of the rear plugs had oil around the lower threads ;crap (the ones closest to the wire boot). what is this a sign of? i'm thinking a gasket leak. its not a huge leak, wherever it's coming from because there's really no signs of oil anywhere in the back of the engine.

Does this have anything to do with the LIM gasket problem that everyone talks about?

freakydeaky
07-14-2006, 11:04 AM
if the threads are wet but the electrode and insulator are not then you might be looking at some antiseize.... if the electrode is oily then the rings or valve stem seals could be leaking.... it could also PCV problem

archillasvante
07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
only the threads showed oil. I don't remember putting on that much antiseize grease when i last changed the plugs. It wasn't a whole lot either... The electrode and insulator were dry, as they should be. I didn't think to change the PCV valve... is it on the front or rear valve cover?

if the threads are wet but the electrode and insulator are not then you might be looking at some antiseize.... if the electrode is oily then the rings or valve stem seals could be leaking.... it could also PCV problem

freakydeaky
07-14-2006, 11:42 AM
front