Brake Trouble! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Trouble!

blkbetty
07-17-2006, 10:05 PM
took off the brakes and the unhooked the brake line, everything is back on but i cant seem to prime the lines again and i dont know what to do everything is tight and theres plenty of brake fluid. and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

NorKoastal
07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Double check the copper washers that seal the brake fluid into the banjo bolt/caliper are not bent and sealing up...

freeze12
07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
If You have ABS then You will have to take the car into a shop & have a scantool plugged in to open the ABS unit to bleed the brakes.

blkbetty
07-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah i already took it into the shop hopefully that is it. do you think i could have painted over a sensor or anything that will be really spendy?

eric99gt
07-18-2006, 12:18 PM
spendy?? lol. It's because you didn't bleed the brakes. Should be that simple.

blkbetty
07-18-2006, 12:27 PM
yeah but i also had another problem, i was a dumbass and i pumped the brake when the caliper was off the rotor and the drum popped out and we had to force it back down i dont know if that did anything bad to it but didnt feel right, and maybe we got paint into a sensor or something like that

Lab Rat
07-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Sometimes it takes more than one bleed to get all the air out.

eric99gt
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM
yeah but i also had another problem, i was a dumbass and i pumped the brake when the caliper was off the rotor and the drum popped out and we had to force it back down i dont know if that did anything bad to it but didnt feel right, and maybe we got paint into a sensor or something like that

are you talking about the piston? If so that is normal to have to depress it back in. Paint in a sensor is not the problem.

blkbetty
07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
ok thanks man now i dont have to worry so much

coupe
07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Sounds to me you just need to bleed the brakes.

Molson
07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
yeah, bleed them, sometimes it takes quite a while.

blkbetty
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Alright so i got my car back and it was because for somereason got a slice in my brake line so $250 later my cars back and running guess i wont be seeing my SC/T hood that i wanted for awhile;crap

digitalballz
07-18-2006, 08:46 PM
If You have ABS then You will have to take the car into a shop & have a scantool plugged in to open the ABS unit to bleed the brakes.

Since when do you need to hookup a scantool to bleed the brakes?????:wtf

freeze12
07-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Since when do you need to hookup a scantool to bleed the brakes?????:wtf
If the valve in the ABS module closes,the only way to open the valve is a scantool which is ABS capable.

digitalballz
07-19-2006, 08:27 PM
never heard of such a thing????? Not saying it couldnt happen, but I bet its EXTREMELY rare.

coupe
07-20-2006, 06:04 AM
never heard of such a thing????? Not saying it couldnt happen, but I bet its EXTREMELY rare.

Thats a first for me too.

eaglesrealm
07-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Thats a first for me too.

I am an engineer for a company making ABS. I do not know the complete Delphi system, but I am fairly confident of my next statement. You do NOT need to go into the shop to get air out of the ABS system, UNLESS you introduced air into the system and also did an ABS stop before you bled properly. When you are not doing an ABS stop, your base brakes simply pass right through the ABS HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit). So, even if air enters there, you can do a normal bleed proceedure at each wheel to clean it up and reset the system.

Now, with that said, I do not know the specifics of the Delphi ABS system check that occurs each time you start up and get to a minimal speed. However, I still highly doubt it would get air in the non-base brakes portion.

iceman
07-21-2006, 06:32 PM
He's right, theres an ABS automated bleed procedure.
Perform a manual or pressure bleeding procedure. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes. If the desired brake pedal height results are not achieved, perform the automated bleed procedure below.

The procedure cycles the system valves and runs the pump in order to purge the air from the secondary circuits normally closed off during normal base brake operation and bleeding. The automated bleed procedure is recommended when air ingestion is suspected in the secondary circuits, or when the BPMV has been replaced.