Gas Guage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gas Guage

bwwelk
07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Does anyone have problems w/the grand am gas guage not reading correctly?? Twice now within 5 months mine will read 1/4 tank and I'll be driving along and all sudden car will shut off ... After putting about $5.00 dollars of gas in both times it will finally start... Then after driving it for a little the gauge will start reading correct ,but after puting 5.00 in it will be reading bout 1/4 or below , which right before it had shut off it was reading that ...

Graxall
07-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Prolly need a new sending unit.

Phuxed
07-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Sounds like mine, whenever I'm 1/4 or below, it bounces around a lot. I just either go by mileage, or now that I'm not so poor I top it off when it hits 1/4.

Mike Jung
07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Does anyone have problems w/the grand am gas guage not reading correctly??...
lol :(

Read: Posts 35 & 36 in Fuel Level Sensor - Page 2 (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14550&page=2)

blkbetty
07-18-2006, 08:58 PM
yeah man this happened to me once awhile ago hasnt happened to me for a long time though *knocking on wood*

robbieholtz
07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
mine is the same way. i go by mileage....gagt tank is 14.3 gallons so im usually getting 325 miles to a tank......i replaced the sending unit in it...and it still does it.....i think mine is the fuel level sensor......so i just go by mileage

Bonnor
07-18-2006, 09:38 PM
i just poured some total fuel system cleaner in and it seems to work just fine now

bwwelk
07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok thanks for the info. on that ...I'm going to try some fuel cleaner in it see if it helps..

Bonnor
07-19-2006, 07:18 PM
get the good stuff tho...the more expensive stuff(that's wut i did)

eaglesrealm
07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
get the good stuff tho...the more expensive stuff(that's wut i did)

What brand did you use? I am about 250 miles into my tank and its still at 3/4 tank. It's been getting worse and worse at reading right the past few weeks.

Was also getting a hesitation, but that seemed better today. I had run a fuel injector cleaner through.

Why would a cleaner help the fuel level sensor work better? Just curious.

Thanks for the info!

Bonnor
07-21-2006, 09:26 PM
i can't remember what stuff i used...but because of our fuel today it has a high sulfur content which can corrode the senor for teh gas gauge...i think we talked about this in another thread and i was told to use total fuel system cleaner...anyways if teh total fuel system cleaner doesn't seem to work then you'll have to replace the sending unit...mine seems to still work pretty good except on hot days...but since i put inte h total fuel system cleaner i've beenr unnin higher octane fuel aswell and that seemed to help too

eaglesrealm
07-22-2006, 12:30 PM
i can't remember what stuff i used...but because of our fuel today it has a high sulfur content which can corrode the senor for teh gas gauge...i think we talked about this in another thread and i was told to use total fuel system cleaner...anyways if teh total fuel system cleaner doesn't seem to work then you'll have to replace the sending unit...mine seems to still work pretty good except on hot days...but since i put inte h total fuel system cleaner i've beenr unnin higher octane fuel aswell and that seemed to help too

Well, I went out and bought the Chevron Techtron(?) Complete Fuel system cleaner after reading this thread and others. It was about $12 for 20 oz of it at Autozone. It says it helps prevent corrosion on fuel gauge hardware, but nothing about reversing damage. Hopefully, if it is just corrosion, it will still clean that up. I am going to try and drive as little as possible the next couple days to let it sit full with the stuff in the tank. Hopefully then it will eat away at the crap that might be hurting the sending unit.

Bonnor
07-23-2006, 12:19 AM
it should dissolve teh corrosion...pretty sure it would....

nascarnate326
07-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Lucas fuel treatment is what I use. Seafoam works ok too, though I didnt get results like I was hoping.

Mileage is the way I do it too. At 400 miles, time to fill up. Though im not in a GA anymore.

eaglesrealm
07-23-2006, 06:21 AM
:redga: Lucas fuel treatment is what I use. Seafoam works ok too, though I didnt get results like I was hoping.

Mileage is the way I do it too. At 400 miles, time to fill up. Though im not in a GA anymore.

400 miles?!?! You are not in a V6 GA for sure then anymore :redga:

nascarnate326
07-23-2006, 09:57 AM
:redga:

400 miles?!?! You are not in a V6 GA for sure then anymore :redga:

Nope, 1998 Cavi z24 2.4l 4cyl. I had to "Downgrade" to 31mpg....