CAI through 2 feet of water [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CAI through 2 feet of water

resevil83
07-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Today I had class, my street was flooded and I thought I could make it through. I wasn't quite sure on how deep it was, yet I knew it was too deep. At first you read this and are probabally confused. To explain in further detail, I had a plan of attack. My block has two entrances to the main street, so I went around to the second entrance where the street wasn't as flooded. A house is on the corner with a raised driveway that actually connects to the main street. My plan was to shoot for the driveway and go to the other side without getting too deep.

Didn't happen. My car got about half way and then stopped. The engine shut down and the SES went on. I am assuming I sucked in too much water. I tried to turn on the car and It just clicks once.

My car is lowered... Please tell me its my starter? I am hoping my car isn't hydrolocked... If it is what can I do? What should I do? Change the oil? Change the air filter? I am sooo worried. I am going to let my car sit there for a couple of hours and try to start it again.

KeyserSosa2000
07-20-2006, 02:56 PM
:eek:

The thing that concerns me is if the SES light would come on if just the starter died? I don't think it would, you said that the car stopped and then the light and then when you tried to start it back up, all it did was click....From the way things transpired it may be the H word.

If it is Hydrolocked you know that an oil or air filter won't help, if it's the starter you're still kinda in trouble because the car is still sitting in the water and I don't know too many people that are gonna drive out there and jump it for you.

I'd say 70% chance of it's F'd, 25% chance of atleast needing parts and 5% chance that it'll start when you go back out. ;crap

Boostd94
07-20-2006, 02:58 PM
pull a couple plugs on the front bank and look for water, or even easier pull the intake and look for water residue inside it. if you see water pull all plugs and take your intake off and crank the car wide open throttle to try an get it to pump the water out and you might get lucky

KeyserSosa2000
07-20-2006, 03:01 PM
pull a couple plugs on the front bank and look for water, or even easier pull the intake and look for water residue inside it. if you see water pull all plugs and take your intake off and crank the car wide open throttle to try an get it to pump the water out and you might get lucky

he said all the car did when he tried to turn it over was click...doesn't sound like he can "crank the car at wide open throttle"

Slim
07-20-2006, 03:10 PM
If a car is hydrolocked, you can pull all the spark plugs and try to crank it over. If there's any water in the cylinders, it'll be pushed out. After that, you would need to change your oil and filter.

It happened to a friend of mine and he was able to fix it doing what I just said above.

tenspeed
07-20-2006, 04:12 PM
if he didn't bend a rod......

CoopGT
07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Like Slim & Tenspeed said. Pull all the plugs turn it over till no water comes out & hope you didn't bend a rod or worse.

Do'h

cavingman
07-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I had a bmw in the shop i work in the other day that went into a creek. highest compression it had was 15 psi during a compression test. it still turned over though, just wouldnt start lol

first thing I did was what slim mentioned though. thats your best starting point.

resevil83
07-20-2006, 08:26 PM
wait a minute... pull out all the plugs and try starting the car without the plugs in!??! Will that work? Change the oil after or before I try to start the car? And take off my cai and just let the maf be the end of the intake?

Sprucegagt
07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
:wtf Do you know what hydrolocked means?

Look it up, then you will understand why you remove all the plugs and turn the engine over.

tejohnson
07-20-2006, 11:04 PM
You may want to read the code too... Since it will not even turn over, you could have just burnt up the fusable link. Don't think these rods really bend... More like snap ;)

lone_wolf025
07-20-2006, 11:57 PM
I think he's f***ed. Plain and simple.

resevil83
07-21-2006, 01:06 AM
i know what hydrolocked means... its just that engines work in mysterious ways to me... I understand what the components of the engine are and what they do, its just hard for me to know where things are placed and how they are all linked and contained together. I've never really taken apart an engine, so I have difficult times imaging the setup.

I am just going to take the car in and have a mechanic deal with it, I have work all weekend.

What I do want though, is your opinion on something. Lets say worse case scenario my rods snapped or my head cracked whatever... I am interested in the milzy motorsports stage 2 kit, I was wondering what plugs to run and what wires? I am going to be getting a gatorback belt as far as prevenative maintenance and I was planning on changing out the plugs, if I go the stage 2 route would I get something different from the TR55IX Irridium plugs? I was planning on draining my trans pan and other things, I just wanted to know what things I can do to prepare for this type of setup. Also, for example, I need to change my fuel filter, stock is fine? or no?

Sprucegagt
07-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Before you can start deciding on upgrades you need to know what is wrong first. Have your mechanic check the car and find out what is wrong.

B0000rt
07-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Get a bypass valve for your CAI while you're at it.

gaowners32
07-21-2006, 10:37 AM
bypass valve wont do **** in 3 feet of rain.

This the main reason why i dont drive my car when it gets that bad out. Just sits in the garage.

resevil83
07-21-2006, 07:44 PM
well the mechanic told my dad it is an intake manifold gasket. He said that I blew it. So he wants 800-850.00 to fix it. Unfortunately I am a poor college student. My dad does not pay for anything. I am on student loans and I just paid off my car. This all means that I don't have 800.00

Can I get a new gasket? for cheaper and do it myself? My friend is a BMW mechanic and said he could help me. Is that job worth 800 dollars?

Panacea
07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
If he's charging $80-90/hr then yes, that price is right. Most people get it done at the dealership for $5-600. Is it worth it? Sure, if you're not mechanically inclined. IT takes the better part of a day to do, so thats where the high price comes in. I believe the gasket is $100, but I may be wrong.

I don't see how this is the problem though?!?

resevil83
07-21-2006, 08:06 PM
yea I'm going to call him tomorrow and talk to him personally. I don't know how this is the problem when I drove through a RIVER.. lol not a river, but you know. Anyone explain the logic here?

Anyways I did some searching on the board and found this link http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24833&highlight=intake+gasket

This shows that there are new bolts and gaskets out for our car. I also found a thread where members were complaining that these new gaskets didn't last long at all either. They said not even 3k miles. I think I can tackle this job, I just need to find instructions on how to change out this gasket. And I pray that the gaskets work for me. I will make sure I torque them down in the correct order and properly. Any suggestions?!

Like I said I don't know what parts I will be able to change out from there, but anything internal that I can do while I have that manifold off? Might as well right!! I take back my pervious post about not having the money... I just got accpeted for a credit card that I have no interest for 12 months. I can pay off that in 12 months no problem.

normal
07-21-2006, 09:27 PM
dont take this the wrong way, but i am trying to understand, you said you were interested in doing engine upgrades if you messed stuff up on your engine, but you turn around and say you don't have the money to fix the LIM? i completely understand being a college student (read: dirt poor) but if you don't have the money to fix the LIM how would you pay for upgraded parts and installation? just something to consider, and best of luck with getting the car back up and running

KeyserSosa2000
07-22-2006, 12:59 AM
dont take this the wrong way, but i am trying to understand, you said you were interested in doing engine upgrades if you messed stuff up on your engine, but you turn around and say you don't have the money to fix the LIM? i completely understand being a college student (read: dirt poor) but if you don't have the money to fix the LIM how would you pay for upgraded parts and installation? just something to consider, and best of luck with getting the car back up and running

I think he means that he's selectively poor. He can't afford to fix things that only get him back to where he was, but he can afford to go faster. I would know, I'm one of them :D

resevil83
07-22-2006, 03:59 AM
I think you might of hit it on the head.
Here's what I'm saying... My rotors warped several times, I replaced them myself several times. My pads were being eaten, I replace those several times, my caliper pin wasn't sliding properly on one side, so I wetsanded it with hi-grit paper and then cleaned them plus greased it to hell. It locked up once again. So now I have Baer brakes. I don't have any problems, I stop on a dime, and I know I won't have issues with them like I did with the stock junk rotors.

If something is broken on my car, lets say heads... why pay I don't know how much they cost, but lets say 450.00 dollars for stock ones when I can pay an extra 200.00 dollars and get aftermarket heads.

I don't have 800.00 to fix my car with stock parts, I'm cheap. I applied for a card, now I have "fake money" as I like to call it... So if my engine was screwed, I might as well see what performace parts I can get.

As I am still interested. What parts should I get for my car if I'm going to be pulling the UIM off?

Ajaxus
07-22-2006, 04:14 AM
by "fake money" you aren't referring to a credit card, are you? because those things suck once you get in debt. (i finally broke even)

resevil83
07-22-2006, 01:33 PM
hehe yea I am... Fake money is awesome.. I'm just being stupid. I know I have to pay it off, but there is nothing else I can do. I am kind of in a jam.

I talked to my mechanic. He didn't do anything but scan the car and I guess check t he oil pan? He said there was coolant in the oil pan. He wants me to pull the plugs, change the oil and oil filter, and then drain the radiator. He said then try to crank it over, then once that is done put the plugs back in. It would be a good time to get those ngk irridiums.

resevil83
07-22-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm being a pain in the butt, however... I was told now to try and pull one plug at a time beacuse there may not be enough compression to pump out the water. Could someone that previously posted about how to proceed in pulling the plugs repost with a bit more detailed instuctions. To save time I will post what I think to do. Tell me what I missed.

Step one: Change oil and oil filter in regular fashion.
Step two: Pull out all six spark plugs
Step three: Breifely try and crank the engine over while flooring the throttle
Step four: re-insert spark plugs and turn on car.

resevil83
07-22-2006, 11:44 PM
ok I went nuts on my car, if anyone is still reading this thread... I took off my power steering, alternator, upper intake manifold, valve covers, throttle body, mass air flow sensor, all the plugs wires and I pulled out all the sensors also. There was major mocha cappacino where the valve springs were. The upper intake manifold gasket looks perfect. I think something deeper is wrong so I am going to pull the heads out later this week. If I go with upgraded parts such as the stage two kit from milzy motorsports would this help the longetivity of my car?

REV13
07-23-2006, 12:14 AM
I think I can tackle this job, I just need to find instructions on how to change out this gasket. And I pray that the gaskets work for me. I will make sure I torque them down in the correct order and properly. Any suggestions?!

needed instructions?

here ya go...http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26761&highlight=LIM

...scroll down till u see stuff about the LIM...

AND if u need pics...http://www.grandampc.com/leak/ its from the same thread...hope that helps n hope u get ur car up n running soon

B0000rt
07-23-2006, 09:25 AM
bypass valve wont do **** in 3 feet of rain.

This the main reason why i dont drive my car when it gets that bad out. Just sits in the garage.
It's only 2 feet, and sure it will. Haven't you see the video of the AEM bypass valve in action when sticking the intake into water?

The bypass valve is usually stuck near level with the engine, so unless your whole hood doesn't go under water, you should be fine.

tejohnson
07-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Go to NAPA and get the manifold gasket set. It includes upper & lower gaskets, 2 O-rings for the coolant bypass hoses that you had to remove, and a package of RTV sealant. It will run ya about $60. Check over all the O-rings from the fuel system components you pulled. If they are scored in any way, you will want to replace them (pretty much a dealership only purchase). Any other parts, a cheap source is:

http://paceparts.com/ (cheaper than the local dealership, faster than GMPD)

Get an account with http://alldatadiy.com/ for torque specs, instructions, & part numbers. They use the same data outta the GM service manual, and it is pretty cheap for the subscription, and it is better than a Haynes manual.

resevil83
07-24-2006, 12:36 AM
thanks for all the input guys. I will definately check all these links out. I started tonight by just unscrewing the oil drain plug to see what I had going on in the oil. (was looking for metal shavings) My eyes went wide open when I saw dexcool pouring out! then followed by iced latee or however you spell it. No shavings though?! Well anyways... I'm thinking it might be engine swap time. I'm going to call some junk yards to see what's available, I'll keep tearing into my engine to see whats wrong. I'm really kind of excited about this task.