2004 strut tower brace [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 strut tower brace

timberwoof
07-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm new to this forum, and new to modifying GAs. I have a 2004 GA SE with the 3400. I am looking to put better suspension components on the car, probably starting with the STB and Sway Bars. This is mainly due to budget probs. I understand that the 2004s have clearance probs with the STBs, due to the alternator. Does anybody have an answer for this, or is there a part out there that is compatible with my ride. THANKS

badboy2451
07-23-2006, 10:17 PM
http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Store_Code=PFYC&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GASUSP

never heard any complaints from them:)

b2089
07-24-2006, 04:58 AM
It won't fit a 2004. You're positive wire is on top and in the way. PFYC has a disclaimer about that, trust me it's ugly.

z-spec has one for your car, but a STB is a minor improvement if that. It's done early by many because it's so easy, but don't expect a noticable change.

slowbird
07-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Meganracing sells cheap front and rear STB's for our cars but they do touch the alt.

I found out the hard way...but last night my buddy and I took a Hammer to it and now it bends just slightly out of the way.

drumking1721
07-24-2006, 05:53 PM
those testimonies on the bottom sound sooooooooooo fake....does it realy make that much of a difference?

timka86
07-24-2006, 06:00 PM
i didn't read the testimonials, but i got a front STB from MP Racing (lvemy3100) he's on here.

and there is definitely a difference. the interior used to creak when driving up a driveway and on hard turns, there's no creaking anymore.

http://www.unitedmalibus.com/mpracing/index.html

edit: can't vouch for it fitting on an 04' cuz i have an 00', but you can ask him.

brsexton
07-25-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm new to this forum, and new to modifying GAs. I have a 2004 GA SE with the 3400. I am looking to put better suspension components on the car, probably starting with the STB and Sway Bars. This is mainly due to budget probs. I understand that the 2004s have clearance probs with the STBs, due to the alternator. Does anybody have an answer for this, or is there a part out there that is compatible with my ride. THANKS

Is your car a 4cyl or V6? The reason I am asking is because they say there is a clearance issue with the alternator, but on the 4cly the alternator is not on the top side of the engine like it is on the V6. So I assuem they are talking about the V6 car when they say there is an issue. I am sure this would work on the 03-04 4cyl.

timberwoof
07-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply, i've been working and haven't been on the net. I have the 3400 V6 engine, and don't want to buy the front STB if its not going to fit. Also, how much of a difference does it work, or do you have to have the combination of the Sway bars also. Any imput would help, thanks.

slowbird
07-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I notice a very slight difference with the bar.

I'm gonna try and reinforce the bracets one day.

I think anyone with a 2003.5 + should invest in a STB that fits better and is one solid peice.

b2089
07-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Trust Slowbird, he learned the hard way. Having a less expensive bar and having to mod it to fit isn't a good thing. Get one from Z=spec and you won't have to worry about it.

I bought mine because others have said it ends the body creak sound on driveways. I wasn't so fortunate. I even tightened the bar beyond recomended levels to see if I could force some rigidity. It did nothing. I'm told my noise may be from the strut area though so don't take it as a definate no, but I didn't see a change.

timberwoof
07-31-2006, 02:01 PM
Trust Slowbird, he learned the hard way. Having a less expensive bar and having to mod it to fit isn't a good thing. Get one from Z=spec and you won't have to worry about it.

I bought mine because others have said it ends the body creak sound on driveways. I wasn't so fortunate. I even tightened the bar beyond recomended levels to see if I could force some rigidity. It did nothing. I'm told my noise may be from the strut area though so don't take it as a definate no, but I didn't see a change.

Yeah i don't think the creak is from the strut towers. There is a possibility the creak may be coming from the bushings. I have a 1970 Ford F250 and it started creaking and all i had to do was replace the bushings and grease the joints. Now it runs like that day it came off the line. Getting some firmer bushings will also help with performance. You may not see a big difference but with other mods it will help out. Just a suggestion.