Question on how far to go [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question on how far to go

99GTCoupe
07-25-2006, 09:33 PM
(It's late and I dun feel like editing this, save to say this was gonna be in another thread originally)

Kinda just jumping in here to go with the flow of the thread. I don't know a whole lot about tuning, my car knowledge is decent. I'm a quick learner and will take any info ppl send at me. I, obviously, have a 99 GAGT with currently just a K&N air filter for 'mods'. Yeah, that's right, you heard me! Bring that **** and let's see me filter beat all ya'll! lol

Anyways, my current plans are for a DoctorSpeed Stage 3 CAI (first), SLP full cat-back exhaust (want that agressive sound over Borla), high-flow headers (TOG preferrably, heard good things about them), 62mm throttle body, etc. I do want a DHP PCM, but I hate the fact that you have to run premium in your car after putting it in, so that can wait for awhile (damn gas prices).

Also, before I get to the CAI, though, I will be replacing my current plugs and wires with Taylor Thunder Volt wires and NGK Iridium IX plugs. That will actually be done in a few weeks. I have to take my car in to get the Intake Manifold Gasket replaced (never been done before I bought it, damnit all), and am taking it to my aunt's brother-in-law's shop near me. He quoted about $600 for the IMG job, plus he would put in new plugs and wires for no extra charge since he would be there, and said he would clean out the... damnit I forgot, but I think it may have been the throttle body? I have a problem where when I first start up my car after it sits for a while, instead of idling at 650 RPMs it will idle about 850-950. It runs fine and once I get going it will idle normally, usually after a couple minutes of driving, if that long even. He said that there's something that will get clogged and dirty and can cause that to happen.... perhaps it's the intake itself? Little help here?

ANYWAYS, after that damn tanget I should be shot. So, yadda yadda, that's what I want to do, and I am not sure about a cam/port n polish/pistons/etc. I am basing this off of info in http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57039 so if I am missing something good that I should do, just say so. I don't want an all-racing GAGT, just something that's got more balls and I can not only drive but possibly take to the track eventually. I also want to do visual ext/int mods so I will be sinking money there as well. Also, what would one say about replacing my stock 4 spd auto with a 5 spd auto, or man (if possible)?

What I really need is some opinions on what I should do and where to stop at. I have a larger list of ext/int mods I want to do, but won't post them here. Oh, the hell with it! IN the spirit of saying "Fark you!" to the 'Del' key, here goes (I'll even post this elsewhere!):

First, take a look at my pics, I just added my CarDomain page to my profile and sig.
Now, the red trim on the int was there when I bought the car, and I like it (it's also that color on the rear speaker covers). I am thinking of continuing the trend onto the instrument panel trim (currently black), around the fog light switch (the thin edge piece, not the whole surface), the control panel on the driver and passenger doors, the trim around where the CD player and HVAC and such are, the trim around the shifter, etc. I will also heet n' peel the HVAC knobs and the control buttons for the windows/locks/mirrors, if they will all peel; I like the red glow to go with my red trim. I am thinking about the Glo gauges as well, but dont' know if the color mismatch would look outta place or not? Oh yeah, and I may make that How-To Guide on wrapping door panels useful for my modding :)

As for the outside, I am wanting to continue the same black w/ red theme. I REALLY want a SC/T bodykit, hood, and spoiler for my car as well, but those damn things are so farking expensive >< I know I can get overlays for certain areas on the outside, like with the trim strip that runs around the ouside of the car. THe bra will be gone once I get the money to do a repaint of the outside, there are some nicks and scratches and DIY touchups that looks kinda bad, but nothing deep as far as I can see. I also plan to use the How-To Guide on installing Corvette brakes, and get them painted red, and most likely black rims to cover'em. Oh yes, and I want a Lambo door conv kit as well :)

God, I think that's it. I don't know what else other than a decent system, maybe a couple 12's and an amp for them. I run Pioneer in the front and back and my CD player, but I will need to replace my 6x9's and the tweeters on the door if I can find some to put there.

Yeah, I'm tired so I'm out. Just please post opinions, comments, suggestions, etc. I already put my 'limited-knowledge' disclaimer at te beginning, so take that into account :D I really need to know how far I should go with my engine mods and such.

EDIT - I also forgot that I want the nice smoked out head/tail light look. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on new ones, which are pretty nice yes, but too expensive. I'd rather put the money into other things. Also I want a pair of the speakers with molded trim that go down on the floorboard near the front corner of the doorwell on bother sides, just under the door speakers. I hope you know what I am talking about, I saw them before, but don't knwo if they make them for GA's, ah well, can always get it custom ^.^ But I think that's the only other things.... yeah... cheese.... sleep....

pyro
07-25-2006, 10:26 PM
spark notes?

badboy2451
07-25-2006, 10:39 PM
so wait, your on a budget but you want all that stuff??!?!

99GTCoupe
07-26-2006, 08:43 AM
spark notes?
What?

so wait, your on a budget but you want all that stuff??!?!

Yes I am, however I don't want it all at once. I plan to gradually do things, that's why I said what things I wanted to do in order of importance to me. I am trying to get people to respond with how much I should worry about performance mods over style mods.

badboy2451
07-26-2006, 08:55 AM
its all personal preference whether you want sytle or performance, although many people here will tell you that performance modifications are a waste of time and money unless youve got some really deep pockets

start with style IMO....lowering springs, tint, grafxwerks.com is your friend, rims if you can afford them, the sc/t kit spoiler and hood are nice but im sure you will enjoy the $2000 in your pocket if you dont buy them

its all personal preference....

Hurricane
07-26-2006, 08:57 AM
What?

Yes I am, however I don't want it all at once. I plan to gradually do things, that's why I said what things I wanted to do in order of importance to me. I am trying to get people to respond with how much I should worry about performance mods over style mods.

Shouldn't that more of what you want? Which would you rather have, a stock looking fast (kinda) car , or a stock performing car that looks unique (kinda)?

tomh
07-26-2006, 09:08 AM
just do a lil of both :) like cia, slp, headers, gm performance plugs/wires (they really kick ass), and then style mods personally i like the unique style mods because thats when people come up to you sand say "hey nice car etc.. etc.. etc..." kinda makes you feel good inside.. lol

badboy2451
07-26-2006, 09:13 AM
thats when people come up to you sand say "hey nice car etc.. etc.. etc..." kinda makes you feel good inside.. lol

:applause: ...and somewhere else down there:heh:

tomh
07-26-2006, 09:14 AM
hahah only if its a hot girl making the comment :)

coupe
07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Anyways, my current plans are for a DoctorSpeed Stage 3 CAI (first), SLP full cat-back exhaust (want that agressive sound over Borla), high-flow headers (TOG preferrably, heard good things about them), 62mm throttle body, etc. I do want a DHP PCM, but I hate the fact that you have to run premium in your car after putting it in, so that can wait for awhile (damn gas prices)

SLP i can understand.
Where the hell did you hear good things about TOG's? Do a search on here about them and then tell me you hear good things about them. They went out of buisness for a reason. Btw all headers are 'highflow', thats the point....

Do the math on the price difference between premium gas on a full tank and regular per full tank, its like under $3 a full tank difference, your worried about that little bit off money?

Also, before I get to the CAI, though, I will be replacing my current plugs and wires with Taylor Thunder Volt wires and NGK Iridium IX plugs. That will actually be done in a few weeks. I have to take my car in to get the Intake Manifold Gasket replaced (never been done before I bought it, damnit all), and am taking it to my aunt's brother-in-law's shop near me. He quoted about $600 for the IMG job, plus he would put in new plugs and wires for no extra charge since he would be there, and said he would clean out the... damnit I forgot, but I think it may have been the throttle body? I have a problem where when I first start up my car after it sits for a while, instead of idling at 650 RPMs it will idle about 850-950. It runs fine and once I get going it will idle normally, usually after a couple minutes of driving, if that long even. He said that there's something that will get clogged and dirty and can cause that to happen.... perhaps it's the intake itself? Little help here?

Plugs and wires wont do much, but your ga probably needs a tune up anyway.

Probably talking about your IAT. Just pick up a bottle of TB cleaner and do it yourself. 10 minute job tops.

Your car is supposed to run at a higher RPM when the engine is cold anyway, thats normal.

The rest of the stuff you want your really talking big money. I dont even want to get into all that. All you have to do is search here and you will find all you need to know about everything you asked about.

99GTCoupe
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
lol, so true, so true!

Yeah, I was thinking maybe to stop at the CAI, SLP, plug/wires, and then focus on the style mods. Though what do ppl think of going a bit further to the headers and 62mm TB?

coupe
07-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Thats all up to you and what you want.

Me personaly i want my car to look real nice and perform real nice, kinda 50/50 for me.

I started out with:
lowering springs
CAI
headers
plugs and wires

Kinda just snow balled from there.

tomh
07-26-2006, 10:11 AM
forgot to say.. please please please dont waste your money on NGK plugs/taylor wires.. they are crap crap crap crap!! i went from stock to that combo.. it was horrible! then i went from ngk/taylor to gm performance plugs/wires and omg there was a HUGE difference im talking a difference between night and day. if you buy the ngk/taylor combo i will drive out to MI and personally kick your ass or doing so :)

taylor/ngk
1. press the gas to the floor.. wait.. wait.. car starts to move
2. impossible to squeal tires
3. horrible pickup when passing its like driving a 4 cyl
4. horrible gas millage

gm performance plugs/wires
1. bam gone
2. oh hell ya you can squeal your tires
3. 55 to something im not allowed to say on gagt by the time im past the other car
4. 2-3 mpg better gas millage (when im not driving like an ass)

botlfed
07-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Where the hell did you hear good things about TOG's? Do a search on here about them and then tell me you hear good things about them. They went out of buisness for a reason. Btw all headers are 'highflow', thats the point....

I believe one of the original employees is producing some headers again with the TOG name...... but the original owner(the asshat) has nothing to do with it....
ZZP has TOGs back in-stock for the GPs

coupe
07-26-2006, 10:43 AM
I have taylor and NGK and never had those problems.

99GTCoupe
07-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I had also forgot to mention I want Eibach springs, possibly a front strut bar. Anyone have good body mod sites to go to? I've looked at a bunch, but most have either little selection or the same stuff as others. Anyone else have opinions on the Taylor/NGK combo vs. GM High Performance plugs/wires as well?

coupe
07-28-2006, 04:08 AM
pfyc.com and ebay

99GTCoupe
07-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I've been to PFYC and all they really have are some lights (which I want), the SC/T bodykit and hood, and another hood, some light accessories, and one set of tail lights. I'm looking for more variety, not just a bodykit and some ventshades. Anyplaces that have hoods, spoilers (though I am thinking of just going with the new Mustang GT spoiler), etc. I've kinda looked on ebay, but would rather find what I want, then price shop there and such.

coupe
07-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Ebay

I preffer my hood over any other company's hood but thats a matter of opinion.

Andysautosports.com comes to mind if you dont mind the ugly ass styling.

Boy you have a GT, trust me you dont want anything more than an SC/T body kit, again a matter of opinion but 90% agree with me.

99GTCoupe
07-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, but my problem is that they are so common for the kits ppl like, and so damn expensive. I want some alternatives that look kick-ass and are not just crap. I can't find any places that have a good selection of bodykits and hoods and such, so :shrugs:

Little help anyone?

badboy2451
07-28-2006, 02:24 PM
lol, btw I was just on my break and looked under my car and found that I already have cat-back exhaust!!! :D

brand?

99GTCoupe
07-28-2006, 02:38 PM
lol, sorry I erased that post, it was preemptive since I mixed up what cat-back really was. I believe it is the regular setup, but the piping is normal sized. So, I dunno from just looking, I might have someone check it out and see if I have 2.5 inch or anything ><

SectoidBob
07-28-2006, 03:00 PM
The SC/T kit is common on the forum, but as far as seein them around? You'd hardly ever see another SC/T rolling around your town.

The GA just doesn't have a lot of choices involved.

coupe
07-28-2006, 07:30 PM
lol, sorry I erased that post, it was preemptive since I mixed up what cat-back really was. I believe it is the regular setup, but the piping is normal sized. So, I dunno from just looking, I might have someone check it out and see if I have 2.5 inch or anything ><

Its stock, trust me.

99GTCoupe
07-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured. No bother, though tell me this: when I get my exhaust replaced I also want to get headers, so should I get everything from the headers back replaced (probably not all at once, though), including a high-flow cat?

coupe
07-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Like i said in your other thread....slow down.
Pick a mod you wanna do, then make it happen and then do something else you wanna do. It will all come together someday. Just have a visual of what you want your final outcome to be.

99GTCoupe
07-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I know, I know, I'm just fishing for knowledge currently. LIke I said, I wouldn't even get all that done at the same time most likely, unless I had it all saved up just for that. I know what I am gonna do first, the CAI and stuff and some int/ext mods I can easily do myself :)

So what would you say about my question above?

coupe
07-28-2006, 09:44 PM
You dont have to do the exhuast all at once.
Most start out with a cat-back.

99GTCoupe
07-29-2006, 05:16 PM
What I meant was should I bother with getting a high-flow cat, since I eventually want a wider TB and headers and such

Ajaxus
07-29-2006, 07:05 PM
well S&S offers a package deal with both headers and a hi-flow cat so you could just wait and kill two birds with one stone.

99GTCoupe
07-29-2006, 09:05 PM
S&s?

Ajaxus
07-29-2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=H&Product_Code=3400CH&Category_Code=V6HeadersGA

or you can wait for milzy to finish the header's he's designing for us.

99GTCoupe
07-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Oh really? THat's pretty sweet, how that you mention it I remember seeing that thread, but never checked the status lol

99GTCoupe
08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Hey all, little update. I took my car in to the shop a few days ago and it's all done, my gf will be picking it up for me on Monday ^.^ I had them replace the IMG and my plugs/wires with the GM High Performance ones, which he said are great BTW. Only downside is that he saw my water pump was ready to crap out, so they replaced that. Brought my total to around $900 >< ($600 for IMG, $150 for plug/wires plus labor, and about $125 for pump) Ouch, but at least now I don't have to worry about my pump unexpectedly crapping on me :shrugs:

coupe
08-07-2006, 05:13 AM
IMG?
You payed someone to install plugs and wires?
You payed $125 for a water pump!?!?! You do know you can get one at napa for $25 right? And to top it off you payed someone to put it in, its a 20 minute job with basic hand tools.

99GTCoupe
08-07-2006, 07:03 AM
The prices I gave were including labor and such. I don't have a service manual yet (getting it rather than a Haynes, stupid Chilton's) so I don't have the info on how to do it. I also don't have a good selection of tools, so I might even not have everything that I need. Other than that, yes I did. It's a quasi-family shop so I felt like giving. Besides, I'm not actually paying for the work ;)

Intake Manifold Gasket = IMG (why does everyone ask that?)

coupe
08-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Its LIM= Lower intake manifold gasket. There is two gaskets, upper and lower. If there was just 1 then your 'IMG' would work.

You dont have to have a manual, thats what this site is for.
Here is the how-to on the water pump.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41015&highlight=water+pump

With how much you spent on labor and parts you could have bought a **** load of tools, so your excuse dosent really fly to well.

Sprucegagt
08-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Hey all, little update. I took my car in to the shop a few days ago and it's all done, my gf will be picking it up for me on Monday ^.^ I had them replace the IMG and my plugs/wires with the GM High Performance ones, which he said are great BTW. Only downside is that he saw my water pump was ready to crap out, so they replaced that. Brought my total to around $900 >< ($600 for IMG, $150 for plug/wires plus labor, and about $125 for pump) Ouch, but at least now I don't have to worry about my pump unexpectedly crapping on me :shrugs:

You got ripped on the water pump and plugs/wires. Coupe already mentioned about the water pump. But, the wires had to be removed in order to get to the LIM gasket. It shouldn't of cost a dime in labor to install the new wires. Also the plugs would have been REALLY easy to change when the LIM was off. Certainly not worth, what looks like an hour labor, to change.

Roush GT
08-07-2006, 09:16 AM
^ :werd

pyro
08-07-2006, 09:18 AM
garages gotta make their money...taking mine back for the LIM for the THIRD time, everytime they call BS on it asnd replace something else. i got them this time, bringing along my trusty service menual to show them what they did incorrectly and need to replace free of charge.
:soapbox

99GTCoupe
08-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Seriously, like I said before I don't care, as I am not paying for it. Perhaps you missed that part?

coupe
08-07-2006, 10:37 AM
The prices I gave were including labor and such. I don't have a service manual yet (getting it rather than a Haynes, stupid Chilton's) so I don't have the info on how to do it. I also don't have a good selection of tools, so I might even not have everything that I need. Other than that, yes I did. It's a quasi-family shop so I felt like giving. Besides, I'm not actually paying for the work ;)

Intake Manifold Gasket = IMG (why does everyone ask that?)

According to this post you paid.

99GTCoupe
08-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Besides, I'm not actually paying for the work ;)

Yeah, I had been kinda confusing, but as it says I didn't pay with my own money :)

Sorry about that

99GTCoupe
08-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Well I have my baby back now. SES light is not on, but I still need to replace my window regulator. I drove it around some today with no problems, and I go to work tomorrow so there's the real test. I can, however, already notice the improved performance from the new plugs/wires! It's very nice.

My step-dad said he will help with my regulator, so I just gotta order one today (hopefully) and I will be all set. I hope to get it in next Wed (if it arrives before then) and with luck I will be all set. The only real problem now is that I think my rear struts need to be replaced; so I think I will go and get all four done to be safe. When I go over bump, I hear a sharp noise sometimes and sometimes a rattling fom the rear (when my windows are open and faintly when closed). I don't plan to take it to the same place to get the struts done as where I got the gaskets doen (BTW - they replaced both intake gaskets and actually did clean my intake).

Here is a pic of one of my broken window parts. It's the peice that is supposed to be glued onto the bottom of my window. Apparently, it fell off which is probably the first reason that it stopped working. Does anyone have any idea how to glue it back on so that it will stay? I think I felt where the it was previously glued on (I think I felt some dried glue from before), but I don't know what glue would be best? Crazy Glue? Thanks

Broken piece (http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/Pic1.jpg)

Also, these last two pics are of why my speaker in the door sail (right?) doesn't work. I found this out after taking off the panel. As you can see, it looks like someone cut the wire completely going to it and used it for the 4x6 >< Anyone know how I can reattach it correctly?

Door sail wiring (http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/Pic2.jpg)

4x6 wiring (http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/Pic3.jpg)

Thanks for your guy's help in advace :)

coupe
08-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Man if there is any way you could get to me i could help you with all that.

The wireing you could just use crimp connectors, i ussualy get mine at autozone.

The window thing i have no idea. From the pic i cant tell what is broken.

99GTCoupe
08-12-2006, 06:39 PM
it's not broken, really, it's just that it is not glued on anymore. I just wanted to know if anyone knows what kind of glue is best to use to get it to glue on and stay. I appreciate the offer, too, I think though that my step-dad would be able to help me do anything that's suggested. He worked for a car dealership for a short time when he was younger, and he knows a good deal about cars. He grew up in the age where everyone did lol

drumking1721
08-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Its common for the window regulators to do that. those clips are cheap. Glue wont work. Those windows are heavy....

99GTCoupe
08-13-2006, 02:12 PM
..... what good is a new clip going to do me?! The clip is NOT broken, it is just not glued to the bottom of the window anymore! Unless you mean that a new clip comes with new glue/adhesive?

EDIT: Oh, and I also was browsing the Modification section pages and I think I will also look into Casper's TPS and AFPR. I will probably get the TPS first and install it myself (easy lol), but have someone (preferrably from this site) do the AFPR :)

99GTCoupe
08-14-2006, 07:49 PM
wow, my thread died :(

coupe
08-15-2006, 05:05 AM
It happens, you did get to 3 pages though.

99GTCoupe
08-15-2006, 09:08 AM
very true very true

One day, my pretty, you shall live again!

pyro
08-15-2006, 09:29 AM
It happens, you did get to 3 pages though.
2 pages...

99GTCoupe
08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
2 and 3/4!

coupe
08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
How come i see 3?

99GTCoupe
08-15-2006, 01:53 PM
He's being picky and not counting the third cause it's not full

Soon, my pet.... soon!

coupe
08-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Bah, full or not it made it to 3 pages.

drumking1721
08-15-2006, 02:33 PM
ANYWAYS...when mine went the clip broke too

99GTCoupe
08-15-2006, 04:07 PM
yeah, mine's fine, I just need to know what to use to glue it back on ><

drumking1721
08-15-2006, 04:20 PM
i went to autozone and found this "plastic/metal" weld stuff,its glue,and it works great....it comes in like a suringe

lone_wolf025
08-15-2006, 04:46 PM
I just recently had the same issue with my regulator. Thankfully there's a warranty on the car so I got the whole setup replaced. Unfortunately now my window stops about a 1/2" short of going down all the way. IMO I'd say replace the clip even though its not busted...you'd be better off in the long run.

drumking1721
08-15-2006, 05:31 PM
word

99GTCoupe
08-15-2006, 07:03 PM
k, gotcha, I'll have to check in and see how much they cost at Murray's. I gotta go there anyways so I can get more fuses. I'm replacing all of mine on the drive and passenger side. My fog's don't work, so I am hoping that will fix it. Plus, some of the fuses have white gunk on their metal posts so I figure I will just replace the lot of them :)

pyro
08-15-2006, 07:26 PM
He's being picky and not counting the third cause it's not full

Soon, my pet.... soon!
no, i have 1152x1024 on this pc...and cut it out with the weird faces and talking to your posts, weirdo...;psycho

99GTCoupe
08-15-2006, 08:44 PM
no, i have 1152x1024 on this pc...and cut it out with the weird faces and talking to your posts, weirdo...;psycho

lol, but they like it when I talk to them. It helps them grow and improves their language skills :D

and wtf is up with you 1152x1024 pic?

pyro
08-15-2006, 09:20 PM
thats the resolution i have my screen set at, and my posts per page is set at 40, so i view it differently... but back on topic...

99GTCoupe
08-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Topic? and you call me the weirdo....

pyro
08-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Topic? and you call me the weirdo....
the topic of the thread...but seeing as it is going nowhere...