about how much would this run me? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : about how much would this run me?

NOSintake
07-26-2006, 04:54 PM
ok, so i got new headlights, and since i didnt have any tools (even though i didnt need any), i took it to my shop where they installed it for free. while they were installing it, they found out that my lights were hazed over, and shouldnt have even passed inspection. not only that, but they said that my car was prolly leaking freon onto my compressor. the reason that upsets me, is when i took my car in, and they said they fixed my AC, my brakes and they did my inspection. well, now all of those seem to be messing up. i also got some engine work, and now im afraid that that might act up again since these are popping up already

well, its been almost a month since ive taken my car in, and all this is messing up again. do you think they will fix it for less, or just blame it on user error? and if they try to make me pay for all this, about how much do you think ill be paying to get all this fixed?

quick summary of problems:
lights shouldnt have passed inspection, but they did anyways
brakes squel and car shakes when braking (shaking occurs at around 50mph+)
AC doesnt work anymore (and hasnt worked since about a week out of the shop)

lone_wolf025
07-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Have you done business with this shop before? If not then my guess is they screwed you over by having someone improperly trained do the work.

If you have any knowledge of brake systems I recommend inspecting them or finding a trustworthy shop or dealer to inspect them.

As for AC does your compressor even run? Assuming you haven't checked your compressor, does the clutch spin with the compressor when the AC is engaged? Again I'd recommend someone experienced, knowledgable and trustworthy to check it out. Until then its kinda hard to guess as to what the issues are.

I got nothing for the headlights.

NOSintake
07-26-2006, 07:07 PM
all this work was done from a pontiac repair shop...so i was assuming it was in good hands when i had them fix it

and yes, i have had work done before, but nothing this major

Mike Jung
07-26-2006, 07:09 PM
...but they said that my car was prolly leaking freon onto my compressor. the reason that upsets me, is when i took my car in, and they said they fixed my AC...
AC doesnt work anymore (and hasnt worked since about a week out of the shop)
FYI: Your car doesn't use Freon.

It uses R-134a refrigerant in the AC system.

(R-134a replaced Freon/R-12 in cars AC systems)

nascarnate326
07-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Im guessing 1500 for a greedy place and 700 for a nice one. Though i would call them out on the thigns they "fixed" If they arnt willing to deal with you, go someplace else. Has to be a good Pontaic dealer in VA. Dont pay more then a grand at that place though.

you could do headlites yourself, ebay.

NOSintake
07-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Im guessing 1500 for a greedy place and 700 for a nice one. Though i would call them out on the thigns they "fixed" If they arnt willing to deal with you, go someplace else. Has to be a good Pontaic dealer in VA. Dont pay more then a grand at that place though.

you could do headlites yourself, ebay.

yea, headlights i can do just cause i saw them put the lights in today. but as for the other stuff, im hoping my normal pontiac shop can do it. if not, im sure i can take it to the chevy dealer i work at. chances are i wont get a good deal though

nascarnate326
07-26-2006, 08:47 PM
In your senario then, id take it to the place you work, and have them do it. You mite pay more, but wouldnt you rather pay more and know its done right? 1500 now, rather then 900 twice and all teh BS that goes along with it.